Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thanks for latest info Steve, will pass this on to our database chap Wayne . - have also sent you a message

Andrew,

Thanks mate EMail sent.

Did you find any details on this officer?

Mate,

While your looking can you confirm this officer?

Blyde Hubert Cave  Lt possibly 8Co? shown 2Bn ICC MC Ex 1/1 Berks Yeo to Capt 101 MG Bn 

Do you have any details on him?

Cheers

S.B

Morning all, I am researching the life and service of Robert Wilfred Willis 70854 Berks Yeo killed in action 27th November 1917.

Born in East Woodhay in 1893, pre war Robert was a Police Constable working  at Gosport, Hampshire. He was permitted to resign in order to enlist on the 5th December 1915.

I believe that Robert would have been part of the Berks Yeo company defending the outpost at Abu Zeitoun when he was killed. He body was not recovered and he is now commemorated on the Jeruselem memorial.

Can any members shed some light on his movements between enlisting in early 1916 and his death in late 1917?  

Many thanks,

Del.

Edited by Del1701
Clarification and correction.

• 2 months later...

Good morning, I am researching a Raymond Leith who joined the Berkshire Yeomanry, in Reading, on 12th December 1910. He was granted a discharge in Egypt on termination of service on the 2nd December 1915.

I know that he disembarked in Alexandria on the 21st April 1915 but would like to know what he was doing in Egypt.

Any information would be gratefully received

Many thanks

Simon

Hi Simon

I will look at this later tonight and get back to you. The regiment went to Gallipoli in August 1915.

IN between times the regiment were first at Alexandria then Kasr el Nil barracks and then at Abbassia Barracks.

Do you have his army docs or is the enlistment date from a SWB card ? Also do you have his regimental  number please

Regards

Andrew

Hi Simon

I will look at this later tonight and get back to you. The regiment went to Gallipoli in August 1915.

IN between times the regiment were first at Alexandria then Kasr el Nil barracks and then at Abbassia Barracks.

Do you have his army docs or is the enlistment date from a SWB card ? Also do you have his regimental  number please

Regards

Andrew

Hi Simon

I see I have probably the same information you have - the medal card and five pages from his personal record. On the page which shows his attendance at camps between 1911 and 1914 the attendance for 1914 is initial HAB. This refers to HA Benyon and therefore suggests he was in 3rd Troop B Sqn. There is only one tall man in the troop I can see in 1914 so we may have a match.

Do you have anything else on our man please? is he a relation or do who have his medal trio.

Will try and post more later on the Berks Yeo and their activity in Egypt.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Simon

I see I have probably the same information you have - the medal card and five pages from his personal record. On the page which shows his attendance at camps between 1911 and 1914 the attendance for 1914 is initial HAB. This refers to HA Benyon and therefore suggests he was in 3rd Troop B Sqn. There is only one tall man in the troop I can see in 1914 so we may have a match.

Do you have anything else on our man please? is he a relation or do who have his medal trio.

Will try and post more later on the Berks Yeo and their activity in Egypt.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thanks very much for the information. Raymond is the grandfather of a good friend of mine. He passed away in 1985.

We are trying to get as much information as possible as my friends mother is still alive (Raymond's daughter) and she would love to know more as he didn't speak about it after the war.

We have the medals (as well as the Queen Mary Chocolate tin. (No chocolates but the little card is still there).

He is remembered as a tall man (over 6 feet) do you have a photo of him?

He came back from the war with a shrapnel injury to the wrist but there is no mention of this in his records.

We would very much appreciate it if you could find out what happened to Raymond between his disembarkation in Alexandria and his return to England.

We also have photos of Raymond at Patcham camp in 1913.

If there is any other information you require please do not hesitate to ask.

Once again, many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Simon - if you send me your email address (I am at andrewgfrench@hotmail.com) I attach the photo 3rd Troop photo (if he is our man then he is 4th left in the rear rank  and if you could send me the Patcham photos we can see if we have the right man and I can tell you a lot of name and what the men were doing. We have quite a few photos and accounts of the time in Patcham. IN the meantime he is a contemporary account

SERVICE NOTES

YEOMANRY HOME AGAIN

RECORD TRAINING COMESTO A CLOSE

The Berkshire Yeomanry, second-to-none in the Yeomanry regiments of the country, strike camp today after one of the most favourable trainings in their history. Sunny Brighton has been at its sunniest from our arrival to our departure. The heat, which would have been trying in other training centres, has been tempered by channel breezes, which combination have made conditions all that the Yeoman himself could wish.

CANDID CRITISISM

The past week has made an interesting and instructive as our energetic and skilled staff of officers could possibly make it. Schemes have been carried out, some on elaborate lines, others consisting of a mere mornings work, generally in the nature of retirement and outpost schemes. Throughout Col Sir E Barry and his staff have closely watched operations, following them up later in the day by candid criticism at “pow-wows” in the regimental orderly room, at which all officers and senior NCOs are present

IDEAL COUNTRY

Other untiring and experienced officers acting as umpires at field operations have been Major Karslake and Captain Hunrdall, adjutant. The country presented by the wonderful Sussex Downs is in many respects ideal for cavalry and mounted infantry manoeuvres. Its drawback is mainly its treacherous and underground which abound. Squadron has been confined to Teg Down, an extensive bit of ground just north of the camp. Field work has taken place farther afield on Newmarket Hill, Castle Hill and other big slopes and valleys in the vicinity of Lewes and Rottingdean. The scenery in all directions is magnificent, villages and even towns appearing to the troops on the hills in miniature making panoramas that will not be readily forgotten.

A HEAVY THUNDERSTORM

A tremendous thunderstorm swept over the camp over the week-end. The vivid lightning lit up every corner of the camp in continuous flashes lasting over a considerable period of the night. Rain fell with a violence not experienced by some of the older yeomen, and the thunder reverberated round the hills with awesome severity. Happily the horses treated the whole affair with a surprising unconcern that astonished old and new campaigners alike. “Stand-to” did not become necessary, though sleep was quite out of the question until the storm had subsided. The principle sufferers were the night guard, who had their tents demolished in the storm.

CELEBRATING A WIN

The competition for the Colvin Cup took place on Tuesday. The trophy is given for the best “led horse” work executed by any one squadron. Brigadier-Colonel Lord Longford was out with his Brigade-Major during the competition and watched the work with interest. The competition was judged by the colonel, the second in command, and the adjutant. The winners were D Squadron (Wantage) under Major Henderson MP, B Squadron being second. The hot sun was not conducive to the easy management of horses; nerveless, excellent displays were given by all concerned. The victors duly celebrated their success in fashions best understood by yeomen; there was a big demand on champagne, too, for the purpose.

A NEW DEPARTURE

The regimental sports took place on Monday. In order to encourage new blood it was decided to allow squadrons to carry out their events independently, an experiment that scarcely lent additional interest to the fixture but undoubtedly gave some novices a chance – some of whom gave creditable displays. Jumping, tent-pegging, wrestling-on-horseback, apple-snatching and other mounted events monopolised the programme, which was witnessed by comrades of the respective squadrons and a few civilians who strayed into camp.

Reading Chronicle 6th June 1913

CHURCH PARADE

The second church parade took place on Sunday, the men looking particularly smart in their blue uniforms and new “pouch belts,” an innovation furnished by a generous county association at the request of the officer commanding. The preacher was again the Vicar of Patcham. Among those present were Sir E Barry and staff, Colonel Ricardo, late commanding officer of the regiment, and several ladies.

A feature of the camp has been the insistent attention of itinerant photographers, who snap the troopers on every conceivable occasion and produce the results in well-executed postcards, which command a ready sale among the men. They furnish a unique memento of probably the finest camp, from the men’s point of view, we have ever had.

RIPPING FORTNIGHT

We strike Camp to-day (Friday), and the regiment proceeds to its various destinations by rail. The Reading Squadron leave in the early morning. Wantage at noon, as also Windsor. The Newbury Squadron do not entrain till 3.20, travelling via London. They reach Newbury at 7.20, with their horses and full complement of NCO’s and men. Altogether, to give the opinion of the trooper, a ripping fortnight; no one is anxious to go home; Brighton breezes are not an everyday occurrence; maximum sunshine records have not usually been associated with the Yeomanry trainings. This year Old Sol has beaten his own record. Next year—Churn!

Reading Chronicle 6th June 13

I will also send the first of my draft documents on what the Yeo were doing in Egypt. I would post it here but it runs to about 70 pages

Are you local to Windsor as I would be delighted to show you and your friend around our collection sometime ?

3. 3rd Troop, B Sqdn Autumn 1914. HD Church Collection.JPG

Well the newspaper report was wrong - for camp 1914 the regiment went to Salisbury Plain to take part in Brigade training of Berks Bucks and Oxon Yeo plus the Berks RHA, etc.

June 1st 1914               Monday

LARKHILL – HAMILTION CAMP

Promotions

Regimental Orders May 31st
To date from 24th May:- D Squadron; Lance-Sergeant BL Bastin to be Squadron Quarter-master Sergeant; Motor cyclist Shillaker Reading Mercury Saturday June 6th 1914.

Brigade Sports

The competitions for the various prizes have evoked keen competition, and serve a useful purpose in creating enthusiasm among the men. Good health prevails all round, and the men should return feeling all the better for their fortnight’s training.

In the cavalry regiments there were numerous casualties, including two broken arms and a collar bone. A Sergeant in the regular army was burnt to death in his tent. Apart from these occurrences the Brigade camp was a great success

pp12 column Saturday June 13th  1914 Rdg Standard

The Brigade sports were held on Whit-Monday at the Cavalry Hunters' ground. There was a fairly large number of spectators. Several accident occurred. Two men of the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars breaking an arm and leg respectively, and S.S.M. Austin, Berkshire Yeomanry, sustained a broken collar bone. A horse also had to be killed.

Brigade Team Race

About two miles over 13 fences. Open to one team of four non-commissioned officers and men from each unit. Catch weight. Prizes: £4 for winning team. £1 in addition to the winner.

Buckinghamshire Yeomanry .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..   1st

Berkshire Yeomanry .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . 2nd

Brigade Officers' Race

A sweepstake of 10s each; second saves his stake

Lieutenant V. Fleming "Borough".. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 1st

Captain A.H. Fell "I'm it".. .. .. .. .... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .  2nd

Captain Worthington "Rodney".. .. .. .. .. ..     .. .. .. .. 3rd

Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars Regimental Race

Trooper Fletcher "Bright Bark".. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..   1st

S.S.M. R Buswell "Rodent".. .. .. .. .... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . 2nd

Corporal H.G. Hicks "Ladies Fancy".. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 3rd

Berkshire Yeomanry Regimental Race

S.Q.M.S. Denton "Malchizadech".. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 1st

Corporal Eady "Maitre I".. .. .. .. .... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .     2nd

Sergeant Blyde "The Dude".. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 3rd

Officers' Scurry Race

Captain de Rothschild .. .. .. .. .... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..             1st

Captain F.J. Pearce .. .. .. .. .... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..            2nd

The concentration of the Army’s…………..

2nd June 1914

SILK HILL AREA - SPTA

Field day

Lord Longford took the brigade over to the neighbourhood of Silk Hill on Tuesday, within view of the great flying camp, where airmen overlapped the Yeomanry scouts in their reconnaissance work. The Bucks Hussars worked across Bulford field on the left, doing excellent work as squadrons in line, in charging down dismounted troops in a minor attempt at shock tactics. The Berkshires and Oxfordshires came over the Downs towards Choulston Farm in attack formations, the troops dismounting and creeping up to firing positions and reinforcing the firing lines. It was the first real spell of brigade training, and the manner in which the squadrons worked was evidence of the careful training they had received during the previous week under their own commanders. Some test of scouting and signalling was made. The new signal service, formed somewhat on the lines of that of the Regular cavalry, showed considerable smartness. The men spent long day in the saddle and were not sorry when they picketed their horses at Hamilton Camp. The operations have not been free from accident, for a sergeant was thrown and broke his arm. The mounted ambulance was quickly on the scone and rendered first aid. On Monday a man broke his collarbone.

Army and Navy Gazette - Saturday 06 June 1914 p19c2

The Regimental Competitions resulted as follows…

Best turned-out Yeoman (trained men)… … … …   Pte Snell          C [Newbury] Sqn

Best turned-out Recruit… … … … …… … … …   Pte Read         B [Reading] Sqdn

Colvin Cup Competition… … … … …… … … …  1st                    D [Wantage] Sqdn                                                                                                      2nd                    A [Windsor] Sqdn

Loyd-Lindsay Competition (trained men) … … …   1st   66 points   A [Windsor] Sqdn                                                                                                      2nd  61 points   D [Wantage] Sqdn

3rd   42 points  C [Newbury] Sqn

disqualified: (over time) [Reading] B Sqdn

Loyd-Lindsay Competition    (men under two           1st   23 points   A [Windsor] Sqdn                                          years service)               The remainder were disqualified                                                                                for either over time or not coming

in with all accoutrements

June 4th 1914               Thursday

LARKHILL – HAMILTON CAMP

Scheme

On Thursday a white force consisting of the Berks Yeomanry and the Bucks and Oxfordshire Hussars along with a company of infantry of the Honourable Artillery Company attempted to cross two fords on the River Avon and also to hold a line between Amesbury and Neveravon. The result was declared a draw.

Saturday June 13th  1914 Rdg Mercury p5c6

June 5th 1914               Friday

LARKHILL – HAMILTON CAMP

Scheme

The scheme which had been arranged for Friday had to be abandoned before completion, as aeroplane manoeuvres were in progress in the area. A fresh scheme was quickly formed, however, and was carried out as follows; —The 8th, 4th and 18th Hussars and the 17th Lancers (Regulars), with a section of the Berks Horse Artillery, comprised the white forces defending the river north of Beacon Hill. The Bucks and Oxfordshire Hussars and Berks Yeomanry and the other section of the Berks Horse Artillery were on the attacking side, which succeeded in driving the enemy from their position on Silk Hill and went in pursuit to Beacon Hill, which finished the day. General Smith-Dorrien (General Officer commanding-in-chief) was present on Friday and Saturday, and expressed much pleasure at the way the Territorials acquitted themselves, especially remarking on the way in which the Berks R.H.A. and the Berks Yeomanry had performed. The Horse Artillery, he said, had improved 100 per cent, since he last saw it three years ago.

Presentation               

On Friday a presentation was made to Regimental- Sergeant-Major Seal on the occasion of his handing over “B” Squadron, Berkshire Yeomanry, on promotion to Regimental-Sergeant-Major. R.S.M. Seal was in charge of B ” Squadron as permanent staff sergeant-major for four years, during which time the Squadron attained great efficiency, practically every cup in the regiment Major J. T. Wigan, officer commanding the Squadron, in making the presentation on behalf of the officers, non-commissioned officers, and men, spoke of the good work R.S.M. Seal had done as sergeant major. He was an ideal non-commissioned officer, and very popular with all ranks. He had endeavoured to do everything possible to help the officers, non-commissioned officers and men, and had always used great tact. The loss to the Squadron was the regiment’s gain. Major J. T. Wigan asked R.S.M. Seal to accept a cheque from the officers and a gold half-hunter watch from the non-commissioned officers and men of the Squadron, and also a gold brooch, set with pearls, for Mrs. Seal. R.S.M. Seal suitably returned thanks. The band, under Bandmaster Wilcox, contributed a great deal to the enjoyment of the troopers.

Concert

On Friday evening a concert was held in the recreation tent. Artistes from Reading and several members of the regiment, with the band, contributed to the programme.

June 6th 1914               Saturday

LARKHILL – HAMILTON CAMP

Close of training

Colonel Lord Longford, Brigadier commanding the 2nd South Midland Mounted Brigade has issued the following:

On conclusion of the training, the Brigade Commander thanks the Brigade for the keenness and intelligence shown by all ranks which, in his opinion, shows a marked improvement on former years. The performance of the Brigade on the last two days, he is glad to say, elicited the favourable comment of the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien. There are, however. still many faults of discipline, horsemastership, and field work which might be corrected even in the short time available for training, and he warns the Brigade that it is far from perfect, and that only taking every opportunity of improvement and instruction at every season of the year can it hope to attain real efficiency. The A.S.C. and Field Ambulance have worked hard with little notice but great profit. The signal troop has done wonders, thanks to its Officer, and he hopes it may be complete by next year. In conclusion, he wishes the Brigade good-bye till next training, when he hopes it may be even better than this year.”

ROYAL BERKSHIRE YEOMANRY AND R.H.A. Close of Training. The units forming the 2nd South Midland Brigade (Territorial), which have been in training on Salisbury Plain, returned to their homes on Sunday.

Finally Camp 1914 men of B Squadron which may (or not) contain Raymond

Regards

Andrew

287-JW Hack. B Sqdn Berks Yeo Hamilton camp 1914. Prob on SSM Seal leaving to become RSM. Loose WH Sear Collection.JPG

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I am researching my great grand uncle Alfred Frederick Pearce or just Alfred Pearce (born around 1893) who I believe was part of the 1st Berkshire Yeomanry and died in Gallipoli on the 21st August 1915 at 20 - 23. He was a private, service number 2025 and his regiment is recorded as Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line. He is on the Helles monument in Turkey and enlisted in Reading but was originally from Owermoigne.

Any more information, mentions of him or even pictures would be greatly appreciated or suggestions as to where I can find out more. Thank you

Matilda

• 6 months later...

Dear Matilda

I am very sorry not to respond earlier but I missed your post until alerted by a colleague.

We do have some information on Trooper AF Pearce which I will endeavour to post over the weekend.

Regards

Andrew

Just to clarify - his regiment was the 1/1st Berkshire Yeomanry. As casualties within cavalry regiments was much less than in the infantry, due to size of units, the casualties were grouped together in the soldiers died publication "Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line"

Trooper AF Pearce No.2025 enlisted in the Berkshire Yeomanry at Yeomanry House on Castle Hill, Reading on the 8th September 1914. He may well have tried to enlist earlier and been put on a waiting list. Having been issued with the uniform he was given a railway warrant to join the regiment then in training at Churn. On arrival he was posted to D (Wantage) Squadron, where he served in No.2 Troop. He now went through his recruit training with those others recently joined.

• 2 years later...

I just signed in on the great war forum and saw this topic about the Berkshire Yeomanry.

I have this miniature group in my collection and after long research I managed to attribute it to Brigadier-General John Tyson Wigan.

He was wounded four times: in the Second Boer War (13th Hussars) , in the Battle of Gallipoli, in the Second Battle of Gaza (Berkshire Yeomanry) and finally in the Third Battle of Gaza (7th Mounted Brigade).

I would like to know if there is any information regarding these circumstances when he was wounded in the First World War? Did he get his DSO in the Battle of Gallipoli?

I managed to retreive his Medal Index Card, and Mentioned in Despatches, besides the publications in the London Gazette regarding CB, CMG, DSO and TD and the British Army Index.

Are there any pictures of him during his command over the Berkshire Yeomanry?

I'm doing a research paper on him and the activities of the regiments he was active in. His history in the Second Boer War is already quite complete, so now it is time to deal with WW1: Gallipoli, Egypt and Gaza.

Any help more than welcome!

Best regards

Wim 

1597119713_Wiganmedals_1.jpg.a36760ca339082ecd8ee734e220f0ba0.jpg

Hi Wim

FIrst of all a general biog of his time in the Berks Yeomanry

Wigan Lieut.-Colonel J. T.,

Capt JT Wigan 13th Hussars appointed to be Adjutant of the Berkshire Imperial Yeomanry June 1904. January 1909 resigned 13th Hussars and  March 1909 appointed Major Berkshire Yeomanry TF OC B (Reading) Sqdn c1909/10 –1914

Shortly after outbreak of war appointed 2-in-Command of 1/1st Berkshire Yeomanry.. He was wounded in Gallipoli

Awarded the D.S.O. for his command of the 2nd Composite Yeomanry Regiment with the WWF in late 1915.  Appointed to command 1/1st Berkshire Yeomanry circa 20th December 1915 – until his wounding at 2nd Gaza in April  1917.

Here is a little about his leading his regiment to counter attack from the reserve at 2nd Battle Gaza on 19th April 1917

At 1400 a powerful Turkish counter attack, well supported by artillery swept forward on to the whole front of the Imperial Mounted Division. Two of the leading Brigades suffered heavily while the third was forced back some distance. The situation was serious and the Sixth Mounted Brigade, less the Bucks, was ordered up to reinforce.

Shortly after 1400 Major Cripps reported with his Squadron of Bucks Yeomanry to the Commanding Officer and the CO, Lieutenant Colonel Wigan, explained he was to be attached thus making the Berks Yeomanry back up to 3 Squadrons,. There was no time for small talk and the CO moved off immediately, ordering Cripps to follow with his Squadron.

The A and D Squadrons Berkshire Yeomanry  moving at once off through Munkheileh and across the wadi in which the 5th Mounted Brigade HQ was placed, with the Bucks Hussars squadron following. "..my word! what a ride, talk about excitement, with shrapnel bursting all around. In ten minutes we had mounted, ridden two or three miles, dismounted and were in the firing line. What a din. Every available rifle and machine gun was going all out to cover our advance." Corporal CC Martin (A Sqdn),

The situation of the Worcestershire Yeomanry, indeed of the 5th Mounted Brigade was very critical when an urgent message was sent to the 6th Mounted Brigade. Looking south-westwards  from the Atawineh Ridge across two miles of level ground towards the Wadi Munkheileh. The writer could see the latter enveloped in  clouds of black smoke from the shell which were bursting over it. Suddenly he saw a sight which thrilled him: out of the wall of smoke which hid Munkheileh there emerged a mass of horsemen which gradually opened out in to extended order and filled the foreground. It was the Berkshire Yeomanry led by their CO Lt Col JT Wigan, Disdaining to dismount, for they knew it was only a matter of minutes, the yeomanry galloped on, here and there a horse and rider coming down as they covered the two miles between the Munkheileh and the Atawineh Ridge. Dismounting the yeomanry came in to the advance at once and after driving the Turkish front line of the Turkish advance, they effectively re established the broken line. Capt O Teichman, Cavalry Journal 1936. Yeomanry at Gaza.

The squadrons galloped in troop columns as far as they could into the firing line, dismounted, and pressed on. The Bucks Squadron arrived shortly after the Berks Yeo and filled in the line to their left. They immediately came under heavy and accurate shrapnel fire, but he determined to push on …

It was during this advance the Lt Col JT Wigan DSO was wounded, command devolving onto his 2nd in command. Wigan was shot through both legs

The following is a letter to Brigadier General Pitt commanding 6th Mounted Brigade from Brigadier General Fitzgerald commanding 5th Mounted Brigade.

Dear Pitt,            

You won't mind a personal note I know, my feelings of gratitude to you for your quick despatch of assistance yesterday are not easily expressed.- The help came fast and in the nick of time to save a dirty mess up - of the Berks and the Sqdn of Bucks entry into action and subsequent doings there is only one word, it was magnificent. To Wigan and Cripps I am awfully indebted for the quick way they grasped their job - moved in a gallop gained rapidly the ground they were to fight on. I've never seen a movement done better. 

An arrival 5 minutes later might have lost the trick - the sight of galloping Squadrons jumped the Turks back 1000 yards at once. The relief to my Regiments was immediate - the forward movement of cavalry will win every time. I am sure I am not over stating, my dear Pitt - but we owe your troops a dinner - I personally owe you and those officers concerned a banquet. Will you tell them my feelings.                                                                                          BFG

In the Official Australian History of the War, the author, H.S. Gullet writing about the 2nd Battle of Gaza describes the 6th Mounted Brigade as "perhaps the finest body of Yeomanry which fought in Palestine." Praise indeed from one who did not stint in his criticism of the yeomanry.

I have General Maxwell's dispatch, pub June 1916 where he mentions JT Wigan and another gazette for the award of his DSO, but I assume there is no citation for this as it seem it was for outstanding work in his command of the 2nd Composite Regiment with the Western Frontier Force (WFF) rather than any single act of bravery.

I will post more this evening

Thanks a lot Andrew! This is great information to start working with!!!!

Have a nice day.

Wim

For the moment I found these entries in the London Gazette:

John Tyson Wigan

Date

Number

Page

Remarks

23/05/1902

War Office, Pall Mall, 23rd May, 1902

13th Hussars, Lieutenant John T. Wigan to be Captain, in succession to Major E. A. Wiggin, who holds an extra-regimental appointment. Dated 26th March, 1902

08/07/1904

27693 Supplement

War Office, Pall Mall, 8th July, 1904.

13th Hussars, Captain John T. Wigan is seconded for service as an Adjutant of Imperial Yeomanry. Dated 2nd June, 1904.

26/01/1909

War Office, Whitehall, 26th January 1909

CAVALKY

Supernumerary Captain John T. Wigan to be Captain, vice E. F. Twist. Dated 4th January, 1909

02/02/1909

War Office, Whitehall, 2nd February 1909

CAVALRY

13th Hussars. The undermentioned Captains resign their Commissions. Dated 3rd February 1909: —

John T. Wigan.

05/02/1909

War Office, Whitehall, 5th February 1909.

CAVALBY

13th Hussars, Lieutenant Edward J. Carter to be Captain, vice J. T. Wigan, resigned. Dated 3rd February, 1909.

30/04/1909

War Office, 30th April, 1909.

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

YEOMANRY. Berks (Hungerford);

John Tyson Wigan (late Captain, 13th Hussars) to be Major. (To be supernumerary.) Dated 19th March, 1909.

17/03/1916

War Office, 17th March, 1916.

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

YEOMANRY. Berks (Hungerford).

Major John T. Wigan to be temporary Lieutenant-Colonel. Dated 20th December, 1915.

02/06/1916

29608 Supplement

War Office, 3rd June, 1916

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for Distinguished Service in the Field, dated 3rd June, 1916

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order

Maj. (temp. Lt.-Clol.) John -Tyson Wigan, Berks. Yeo., late 13th H

20/06/1916

Third

Supplement

DESPATCH No. IV.

Army Headquarters, Force in Egypt. Cairo, 16th March, 1916.

MY LORD,—In continuation of my dispatch of the 1st March, 1916, I have the honour to submit the names of officers and other ranks whom I desire to bring to your notice: — Part 1.—In connection with operations on the Western Front. - Part II.—In connection with Administration in Egypt. I have the honour to be, My Lord, ; Your most obedient Servant, J. G. MAXWELL, General, Commanding the Force in Egypt.

PART 1. OPERATIONS ON WESTERN FRONT

Yeomanry.

Berks Yeomanry.

Maj. (temp. Lt.-Col.) J. T. Wigan

20/06/1916

Third

Supplement

DESPATCH No. V.

Army Headquarters, Cairo. London, 9th April, 1916. My Lord, On 1st March I submitted a report on the[1]Force in Egypt up to the 31st January, 1916.. I now have the honour to supplement that[1]report up to 19th March, 1916, the date on. which I handed over command to General Sir[1]A. J. Hurray, K.C.B., K.C.M.G., C.V.O.,. D.S.O., Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean. Expeditionary Force. The present Despatch) describes the operations under Major-General W. E. Peyton, C.B., C.V.O., D.S.O., for the re-occupation of Sollum. I also venture to submit herewith, for Your Lordship's favourable consideration, the names of those officers, non-commissioned and men, who have especially distinguished1 themselves during the period covered by this despatch. I have the honour to be Your Lordship's obedient servant, J. G. MAXWELL, General.

LIST of RECOMMENDATION

Berks Yeomanry. Wigan, Maj. (temp. Lt.-Col.) J. T.

01/08/1916

Fourth

Supplement

War Office, 3rd August 1916. TERRITORIAL FORCE. YEOMANRY.

Berks.

Maj. (temp. Lt.-Col.) J. F. Wigan to be Lt.-Col. 4th Aug. 1916

07/09/1917

30274 Supplement

War Office, 7th Seytemler, 1917.

REGULAR FORCES

ATTACHED TO HD.QR. UNITS.

And to be temp. Brig.-Gens, whilst so empld. : —

Lt.-Col. J. T. Wigan, D.S.O., Yeo., T.F., vice Maj. F. FitzH. Lance, Ind. Army. 7th July 1917

11/01/1918

Second

Supplement

War Office, 12tk January, 1918.

The following Despatch has been received by the Secretary of State for War from General Sir Archibald Murray, K.C.B., late Com[1]mander-in-Chief, Egyptian Expeditionary Force: — General Headquarters, 28th June, 1917. MY LOED, —

In accordance with the concluding paragraph of my Despatch, dated 28th June, 1917, I have the honour to enclose herewith a list of those Officers, Ladies, Non-Com[1]missioned Officers and Men whose names I wish to bring to your notice for gallant or distinguished conduct in the Field, or for other valuable services.

I have the honour to be, My Lord, Your most obedient Servant, A. J. MTURRAY, General, Commanding-in-Chief, Egyptian -Expeditionary Force

YEOMANRY

Wigan, Lt.-Col. (temp. Brig.-Gen.) J. T., D.S.O.

15/01/1918

Second Supplement

War Office, 16th January, 1918.

The names of the undermentioned Officers, Ladies, Warrant and Non-commissioned Officers and Men have been brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War by General Sir Edmund Allenby, G.C.M.G., K.C.B., Commanding-in-Chief, Egyptian Ex[1]peditionary Force, for distinguished service in connection with military operations under his command:

STAFF

Wigan, Lt.-Col. (temp. Brig.-Gen.) J. T., D.S.O., Yeo.

15/03/1918

Third

Supplement

War Office, 18th March, 1918.

REGULAR FORCES

ATTACHED TO HD.-QR. UNITS.

Brig. Comdrs.—And to be temp. Brig.-Gens, whilst so empld.—

Lt.-Col. G. V. Clarke, D.S.O., Yeo., T.F., from comdg. a Regt. of Yeo. T.F., vice Lt.- Col. (temp. Brig.-Gen.) J. T. Wigan, D.S.O., Yeo., T.F. 6th Dec. 1917

09/04/1918

Fourth

Supplement

Chancery of the Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, Downing Street, 11th April, 1918. The KING has been graciously pleased to give directions for the following promotion in, and appointments to, the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, for distinguished services in the Field in connection with Military Operations, culminating in the capture of Jerusalem. Dated 1st January, 1918:—

To be Additional Members of the Third Class, or Companions, of the said Most Distinguished Order:

Lt.-Col. (T./Brig.-Gen.) John Tyson Wigan, D.S.O. Yeo.

28/06/1918

Supplement

War Office, 29th June 1918

1st Mar. 1918

SPECIAL APPOINTMENTS

ATTD. TO HD.QR. UNITS.

Brig. Gomdrs.—Lt.-Col. (temp. Brig.-Gen.) J. T. Wigan, C.M.G., D.S.O., Yeo., T.F., and to retain his temp. rank whilst so empld. 8th Apr. 1918

30/05/1919

Sixth

Supplement

CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD. St. James's Palace, S.W., 3rd June, 1919. The KING has been graciously pleased, 011 the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to give orders for the following appointments to the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, for valuable services rendered in connection with Military Operations in Egypt. Dated 3rd June, 1919: —

To be Additional Members of -the Military Division of the Third Class, or Companions, of the said Most Honourable Order:

Lt.-Col. (T./Brig.-Gen.) John Tyson Wigan, C.M.G., D.S.O., Berks. Yeo

03/06/1919

Third

Supplment

War Office, 5th June, 1919.

The following despatch has been, received by the Secretary of State' for War from General Sir E. H. H. Allenby, G.C.B., G.C.M.G., Commander-in-Chief, Egyptian Expeditionary Force:— .

General Headquarters, 5th March, 1919. Sir, I have the honour to forward herewith a list of Officers, Nurses, Other Ranks and Civilians, whom I consider worthy of mention for their services during the period from the 19th September, 1918, to the 31st January, 1919.

I have the honour to be, Sir, Your most obedient servant, H. H. ALLENBY,

General. Commander-in-Chief, Egyptian Expeditionary Force.

COMMANDS & STAFF.

Wigan, Lt.-Col. (T./Brig.-Gen.) J. T., C.M.G., D.S.O., Berks. Yeo. (T.F.).

26/10/1920

Commissions signed by the Lord Lieutenant of the County of Essex. W. W. Boulton and Bgdr.-General J. T. Wigan, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., to be Deputy Lieutenants. Dated 19th October, 1920.

16/12/1921

32552 Supplement

TERRITORIAL ARMY. The undermentioned Offrs. relinquish their commns., 30th Sept. 1921, under A.O. 166/21, as amended by A.O. 332/21, and retain their rank, except where otherwise stated:

TERRITORIAL ARMY RESERVE

Yeomanry

Lt.-Col. (Hon. Brig.-Gen) J. T. Wigan, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., with permission, to wear the prescribed uniform

17/01/1922

Third

Supplement

4th Bn., Essex R.—

Hon. Col. Rt. Hon. The Marquis of Salisbury, K.G., G.C.V.O., C.B., T.D., Col. (Hon. Maj.-Genl.), A.D.C., is retired on completion of tenure, 20th Jan. 1922, and retains this rank, with permission to wear the prescribed uniform.

Lt.-Col. (Hon. Brig.-Genl.) J. T. Wigan, C.B., O.M.G., D..S.O. ,(ret., T.F.), to be Hon. Col. 20th Jan. 1922

21/03/1922

32646 Supplement

War Office, 21st March, 1922.

TERRITORIAL ARMY

TERRITORIAL ARMY RESERVE.

Yeomanry. — The announcement regarding Lt.-Col. (Hon. Brig.-Genl.) J. T. Wigan, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., Hon. Col., 4th Bn., Essex R., which appeared in the Gazette of 16th Dec. 1921 is cancelled.

General List.

Yeo.—Lt.-Col. (Hon. Brig.-Genl.) J. T. Wigan, C.B., C.M.G., D. S.O., Hon. Col., 4th Bn., Essex R., T.A. Res., to be Lt.- Col. (Hon. Brig.-Genl.). 22nd Mar. 1922.

27/07/1928

War Office, 27th July, 1928.

The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the Territorial Decoration upon the undermentioned Officers under the terms of the Royal Warrant dated 13th October, 1920: —

TERRITORIAL ARMY.

INFANTRY

4th Bn. Essex R.—Hon. Brig.-Gen. John Tyson Wigan, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O. (Hon. Col.).

12/07/1929

TERRITORIAL ARMY RESERVE OF OFFICERS.

GENERAL LIST

Lt.-Col. (Hon. Brig.-Gen.) J. T. Wigan, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., T.D. (Hon. Col., 4th Bn. Essex R.) from Gen. List, Yeo., to be Col. with seniority 22nd Mar. 1922. 13th July 1929.

28/03/1930

At the Court at Buckingham, Palace, the 28th day of March, 1930. PRESENT, The KING'S Most Excellent Majesty in Council. Sheriffs appointed by His Majesty in Council for the year 1930:— ENGLAND.

Essex: Brigadier-General John Tyson Wigan, of Danbury Park, Danbury, Chelmsford, C.M.G., D.S.O.

16/08/1932

War Office, 16th August, 1932

TERRITORIAL ARMY

RESERVE OF OFFICERS.

GENERAL LIST.

Col. & Hon. Brig.-Gen. J. T. Wigan, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., T.D. (Hon. Col. 4th Bn. Essex E.), having attained the age limit retires and retains his rank, with permission to wear the prescribed uniform. 31st July 1932.

04/061940

Supplement

TERRITORIAL ARMY.

INFANTRY

The Essex R.

Col. Hon. Brig.-Gen. J. T. Wigan, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., T.D.,-D.L., J.P., late T.A. Res. of Off., Hon. Col. Essex R. (T.A.), to be Hon. Col. 8th June 1940.

16/02/1945

Supplement

War Office, 2oth February, 1945.

TERRITORIAL ARMY

INFANTRY.

Essex R.

Rt. Hon. W. L. S. Churchill, C.H., T.D., LL.D., M.P. (23213), Col. 4th Queen's Own Hussars, to be Hon. Col., 2ist Jan. 1945, vice Brig.-Gen. J. T. Wigan, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., T.D., who has completed the tenure of his appt.

Hi Wim

some earlier gazettes showing he started in the militia thus I believe avoiding the need to go to Sandhurst

War Office, 5th March, 1895.

MILITIA.

Infantry

3rd and 4th Battalions, the King's (Liverpool Regiment), John Tyson Wigan, Gent., to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 14th February, 1895.

The London Gazette Publication date:5 March 1895Issue:26604Page:1321

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/26604/page/1321

War Office, 11th August, 1896.

MILITIA.

Infantry.

3rd and 4th Battalions, the King's (Liverpool Regiment), The undermentioned Second Lieutenants to be Lieutenants:— J. T. Wigan. Dated 3rd August, 1896.

The London Gazette Publication date:11 August 1896Issue:26767Page:4575

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/26767/page/4575

War Office, Pall Mall,

14th May, 1897.

13th Hussars, To be Second Lieutenants. Dated 15th May, 1897 :— Lieutenant John Tyson Wigan, from 4th Battalion the King's (Liverpool Regiment), on augmentation.

The London Gazette Publication date:14 May 1897Issue:26852Page:2681

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/26852/page/2681

War Office, Pall Mall,

4th April, 1899.

13th Hussars, Second Lieutenant J. T. Wigan: to be Lieutenant, vice H. P. Dangar, resigned. Dated 8th March, 1899.

The London Gazette Publication date:4 April 1899 Issue:27068Page:2227

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27068/page/2227

War Office, Pall Matt,

23rd May, 1902.

13th Hussars, Lieutenant John T. Wigan to be Captain, in succession to Major E. A. Wiggin, who holds an extra-regimental appointment. Dated 26th March, 1902

The London Gazette Publication date:23 May 1902Issue:27436Page:3380

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27436/page/3380

I forgot to say, I don't quite understand the "augmented" in the above 1897 gazette.

The attached is Maxwell despatch including the formation and doings of the Second Composite Regiment

633017570_MaxwelldispatchLGPublicationdate20June1916.pdf

Thanks for the valuable information Andrew!!!

Regards

Wim

4 hours ago, AndrewFrench said:

I forgot to say, I don't quite understand the "augmented" in the above 1897 gazette.

Seems like some temporary posting? 

The regiment begins the first action of the war - the Berkshire Yeomanry fell in at Abbassia barracks at 12.15 a.m. in full marching order with packs etc., and at 12.30 a.m. set off on the three-mile march to the railway station.

The Regiment entrained at midnight on the 13/14th for Alexandria with a strength of 16 officers plus 360 men. Organised as an RHQ, Machine-Gun Section, and two over-strength squadrons each comprising six officers and one hundred and sixty men. Bde War Diary

At 2. 45 a.m. Major Wigan our second-in-command came out on the platform to dismiss me off duty – he’s a very stern soldier but a jolly fine man and I have always felt that if we went into action I should like to go in attached to him as I have been many times on manoeuvres. Letter dated 16th August 1915 written home from Cairo to his Father by Trooper J.L Loveridge (motor cycle dispatch rider. Museum collection.