Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Between 5-10th August regiment mobilised at the various Squadron Headquarter

Here we see a grainy photo taken during that time of the A (Windsor) Squadron parading on Bachelors Acre in the centre of Windsor. For those that know Windsor the Acre is on the other side of a side road to Wellington Barracks.

The squadron had been reinforced by two troops of the C Newbury Sqn which, under mobilisation orders, was broken in order to reinforce the other three service squadrons.

Watch this posting for further upated

Andrew

post-7967-0-54543600-1407494263_thumb.jp

7-10th August

Mobilisation and equipment proceeding. The band was discharged on instructions from Brigade HQ. Regtl War Diary. Several of them immediately re-enlisted as ordinary troopers.

READING

Billeting

B (Reading) Squadron Berkshire Yeomanry, the Berkshire Royal Horse Artillery and the local A.S.C. continued to occupy the Swansea Road and Wokingham Road Schools, and the Queens Hotel, Reading. The Reading Standard in its edition for Saturday 8th August reported that "Numerous public and private building in Reading are being utilised for military purposes. The Berks Yeomanry are billeted at the Old Queens Hotel, which is accommodating a record number of guests ! The beds are of straw and kit bags serve as pillows. A week later it was reporting that "The Queen's Own is the new but unauthorised title of the Yeomanry who have been lodging at the Queens Hotel"

The chap standing bottom left is Trooper Fred Potts 1300 future Victoria Cross winner at Gallipoli

post-7967-0-29978300-1407602612_thumb.jp

Hi Andrew,

I am researching 2075 Pte Frank Martin, Berks Yeomanry, who died of wounds at sea on the 25th August 1915, commemorated on the Helles memorial. Apart for the fact I believe he was wounded during the attack on the 21st I have very little information and would be grateful if you could add anything.

many thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick

Martin seems a very common name in west Berkshire - I think we have more Martins than any other name

This is what I have

His number 2075 indicates he enlisted in early September 1914. He was posted to D (Wantage) Squadron

I have not downloaded his medal card but unless he sailed on the horse boat the majority of the regiment sailed for Alex on 7th April 1915 on the SS Menominnee and arrived at Alex on 21-8-1914

After a few week in Aexandri the brigade move to Cairo and was then sent overseas to Gallipoli on the 13th August 1915.

He will have been injured on 21st August but we do not have any further details

Martin Frank, youngest son of the late Joseph and Frances S Martin, Wickham Heath, near Newbury. Died of Wounds on 25th August aged 32. Reading Standard Sept 11th 1915 (fm Blyde Cutting album pp8)

Martin F

Pte

DoW

25/08/1915

Died of wounds & buried at sea.

• 2 months later...

Trooper Fred Potts VC - Awarded the first Yeomanry VC of WW1

post-7967-0-91319300-1415303532_thumb.jp

post-7967-0-26270200-1415352475_thumb.jpThe story starts in this case on Scimitar Hill.

This has been taken from Potts own account as he refers to his officer shouting "COME ON LADS ! - GIVE'EM BEANS!"

post-7967-0-67596200-1415446037_thumb.jpThe men advance through the burning scrub on Scimitar Hill

Trooper Fred Potts was my great granddads cousin. Went to IWM to see his medals last week. What a hero, famous in Reading. soon to have a statue. Named my son after him. :poppy:

Up to the 1980s my wife's school in Reading hosted an annual lunch for WW1 veterans. Fred Potts was a regular attendee.

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for response - very interesting. I've been heavily involved in the project myself and we have now raised all the money needed. We are aiming to unveil his statue on Sunday 4th October 2015.

Hi Phil,

Through another source I think we are getting some scans of the of the book they all signed. Can you let me know which school so I can double check ?

Regards to both

Andrew

As he charges forward Fred Potts is injured.

post-7967-0-48114400-1415630139_thumb.jp

Hello Phil-I have not been able to make it to the Newbury Remembers display at Newbury Town Hall- was there anything Berkshire Yeomanry related that might be of interest to Andrew? Regards, Paul.

HI Paul hoped you enjoyed the WARHORSE segment on Radio Berkshire and didn't spot too many faux pas.

On an unrelated subject will try Mr Peter Penfold again tonight

Training in the use of the lance was something I did not know. My car radio not usually tuned to Radio Berkshire- but while driving to work to take a disabled young man to the service in Newbury Sunday morning, I heard the Yeomanry Item by chance. Regards, Paul.

Hi Wardog - ref lance neither did I (that was my colleague who said that) I expect some did lance training when training with the 3/1st Berkshire Yeomanry at Tidworth)

The Yeomanry charge goes in . . . . .

post-7967-0-86326800-1415790835_thumb.jp

The men in the Turkish trenches are enfiladed...

post-7967-0-01595500-1415877257_thumb.jp

British troops withdraw back down Scimitar Hill.....

post-7967-0-59367300-1416051248_thumb.jp

Hi Paul - no Berks Yeomanry in the Newbury exhibition this year - the yeomanry content was 2nd South Midland Brigade - who were in Newbury. My bit was 1914 based, even then space and time limited what could be shown. I will try to get some Berks Yeomanry in the 1915 exhibition but I doubt there will be much that would be new to Andrew!

Hi Andrew - the school is The Abbey, Jane promised a scan or two to the chap at Newbury with the Potts display, she's usually far better than me at following up things like this (she may already have done so). It should include Andrews' signature - saver and savee both attended the lunches.

Phil

PS Andrew - do you still give talks about the Yeomanry?

Hello Phil. If you should need some general Great War items for display next year I might be able to help on the understanding things will be well looked after. I expect though you have good contacts for such things. I lent some things to Lambourn church for a display this year.

Andrew- just been looking at the Potts VC fund raising via a WFA link to facebook- very impressive. Disappointed I failed to locate the team at Highclere- I spent time looking and asked staff with no joy- I hope others managed to find them. Regards, Paul.

Hi Wardog, thank you for your kind offer - we had a very few real WW1 items procured from I know not where by the local British Legion; more artefacts would be very welcome. The exhibition is manned at all times and any items will be well cared for. PM me your contact details and I will, if okay by you, pass them on to the exhibition organiser (the overall event is managed by the Town Council).

Phil

Hi both.

Phil - yes we can still do a talk with slides tailored for an organisation or area. We have done ones for Gallipoli Association, MERL, Hungerford HHA and numerous schools. I look fwd to seeing the signatures some day.

Paul - Any chance you could send me some pics of your Lancashire Fusilier pith helmet with some dimensions. We have now given the sculptor the go-ahead and he needs the info (our pith is still on loan to Reading Museum)

The unveiling date in first Sunday in October 2015

Cheers for now

Andrew

And now for the latest pic. Fred Potts gets a gun shot wound ....

post-7967-0-79431300-1416349768_thumb.jp

Thanks for the link Paul. I will try it tomorrow evening

Meanwhile Troopers Fred Potts and Arthur Andrew meet up on the battlefield. . . . .

post-7967-0-34918000-1416518822_thumb.jp