Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM please help

Dannemois

There is no sign of a birth for him.

What would be the anglized version of the name be please.

Cheers Roger

Perhaps the DCM is incorrect and the name changed. There is a P Lewis, Mentioned in Dispatches.

Could be looking for an 'alias'? Maybe his surname is of foreign origin (other than welsh :D ) and he changed it during the war. Like that other family died - erm - oh yes - the Windsor's.

No records of anyone with surname " Leageian" born ,married , or died between 1837 and 1937 according to Free BMD

I have also checked incoming passengers up to 1919, no such name or anything near that.

Therefore I am coming to the conclusion he as used an alias.

morning all

Had a couple of goes at this

I am of the opinion that this inscription may possibly have been miss transcribed

Here is an enlargement of the inscription

11025339876_628372ec34_o.jpg

therefore any search's carried out looking for Leageian may have been futile

As can be seen from the enlargement the lead letter transcribed as a L could have been a D

The tail of the lead letter which has been transcribed as a L seems to have been pushed up in the air " as photo" the lead letter which could be a D perished with the passage of time the letters H is also suspected as possibly miss transcribed

D C M' I cannot see it ,Only lead lettering that could be DCM they could be anything

I suggest a return visit to the memorial is required and a high resolution close up photo of the inscription is taken before any further time is wasted on trying to identify this

soldier

regards Ray

Afraid Ray an earlier post gave us this photo below. The only question one can ask is where they got their info from, in other words is that memorial 1920 or thereabouts. Or is it a modern memorial made from a transcription of the earlier one.

Troedrhiwfuwch%201914-18.jpg

Interesting Corisande

It could be that the old memorial has been refurbished at some point in time

the lettering renewed

looks to sharp to be an old photo

maybe the op could enlighten us

regards Ray

I agree with Ray. I've had a close look at this with Photoshop and the lettering does look unusually black. A close up of just the name would be interesting to see.

The second letter "A" in the name looks odd to me. Looked on Ancestry for folk who lived in Troedrhiwfuch only one family cropped up, not him. Ralph.

• 2 weeks later...

How's about 91630 Phillip Jones Leyshon 20/DLI? died of wounds 12/9/18. Was formerly 62439 in Welsh Regiment. Can't find evidence of DCM and residence given as Taibach.

Hi Welshdoc

Just thought I would mention that I'm the person researching this soldier on behalf of the Gelligaer Society

:thumbsup: well thats going around in circles wasnt it! Gareth

Still have not been able to find out anything .

Just to add that Phillip Layshon's service record is on Ancestry and wonder if the spelling 'Leageian' is what you'd get if a Welsh speaker wrote the name down that he'd only got verbally? Although there seems to be no connection with Troedrhiwfuch in the record, could it be possible that he was there briefly between late 1914 - early 1918, working in one of the mines before returning to Taibach before his conscription? My local town commemorates a number of men whose only connection with the town is they moved in briefly during the War to work in the pits as the regular colliers had enlisted. His transfer to the DLI was made not long before his fatal wounding and I had to look twice at one page of his records,as the handwriting of the word 'DLI',looked awfully like 'DCM' on first reading- could a simple error like this have occurred when the list was sent to Troedrhiwfuch, possibly with his connection to the Welsh Regiment appended to his last unit, the DLI? I'm also presuming that the monument was made after 1921 due to the spelling'Welch'.

Layshon looks to be the anglised version of the Welsh "Lleision". Throw in a gaelic "gh" giving a "ch" sound, and by way of a mix up. you could have your man.

• 6 years later...

On the Troedrhiwfuwch (Rhymney valley, Glamorgan) there is a casualty named with the following details (Pte) P. Leageian D.C.M. Welch.  I have searched service records and local newspapers to no avail and I wondered if there is a list of D.C.M. recipients where I might find details on him.  Appreciate any information or advise where I can locate any information on this soldier.

He does not appear on the Anc list of DCM awards or Soldiers Effects or any search of that name. CWGC has no record of the name 

Edited by EDWARD1

Been through the 1911 census, the only L's I can see are Lewis, Langford and Llewellyn.

The Monument  was erected in 1933.