Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wolverhampton Borough Cemetery

Stephen White

This is not an uncommon arrangement and can be seen in many cemeteries.

I could post umpteen photos of CWGC headstones where the 'cross' begins at ground level.

Repair is preferable to replacement on financial grounds. That may not be an ideal situation but you have to be realistic. There is only a certain amount of cash to go round and a full replacement could have to wait for years - hence, you see repaired stones and re-cut stones.

I agree with Terry,in my opinion,this is preferable to Pte Duckworths headstone being left under overgrown hedge's. Thanks Roy for the photo,Stephen for the support in getting it reported,and CWGC for repairing the stone,all round a job well done.

Regards Doug.

Being a frequent visitor to the many cemeteries in the Somme area, I have been very impressed by the immaculate way in which these cemeteries and headstones are maintained, i.e. weed free grass, (I cannot keep my 20m2 front lawn free of weeds...how do they do it..??)

However, I recently visited a WW1 Cemetery near my home town in St Albans, and was disappointed to find that a number of the headstones had weathered beyond the point of legibility - it would seem that perhaps that "their names do not liveth for evermore"..??

This is certainly not the case in France, as it would appear that all headstones are replaced on a regular..?? cycle, and certainly all that I have seen are legible.

Any comments by others that are in the know..??

Rob.

Rob

I recently visited Brookwood Military Cemetery for the first time.I found it to be as well kept as those i have visited in France.

While walking round Brookwood there was evidence that headstones receive repairs to keep them in good condition.Other Stones had been removed completely for "restoration" and temporary information plaques were in their place.While the carving on some headstones was barely legible,i'm sure that given what i had already seen.They were due for restoration/replacement shortly.

The problems talked about in this thread,with Private Duckworths headstone for instance.Seem to occur in Municipal Cemeteries,where the CWGC Headstones are in the day to day care of local authorities.With no CWGC on site,problems take a while to get sorted.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen White