Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wolverhampton Borough Cemetery

Stephen White

Terry

Your right there,is does seem important to me.But considering what they do and the area they have to cover,they must have much more pressing matters to worry about.What is important to me may well not be quite so high on their priority list !!.

I will just have to wait and be patient !!

Stephen :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

The CWGC never did reply to my e-mail of 27.09.2004.But today i have been back to the cemetery on Jeffcock Road.

There appears to have been some sort of "clean Up" the trees/shrubs have all been cut back and there has been a general clean up of the area around the perimeter wall that borders Jeffcock Road.

However of the two headstones mentioned by Doug Lewis.I couldn't find the one that had been broken in half ( don't remember it's location).Of the two,the one i could find/remember (to a 9767 Private A A Duckworth) still lies up rooted where i last saw it.As nothing appears to have been done with this one,it leads me to wonder has anything being done about the "broken one".

So it looks like there has been a clean up,but no action on the headstones.I also notice in my latest A to Z,that the cemetery is now listed as a "Nature Reserve".I wonder what this will mean for the future upkeep of the cemetery/graves.

Stephen

Stephen

I will have to go to the cemetery at the weekend and have a look,to check out the headstone I had seen broken.

Regards Doug.

Sounds like CWGC have been on to the cemetery authority and asked them to undertake some maintenance.They would probably not replace/repair any headstones until this was done.

Email again and ask for an update on what is happening at the cemetery.

Doug & Terry

Please let me know if you are able to locate the broken headstone or not,i may just have been looking in the wrong area and missed it altogther

Yes i'll send another e-mail to the CWGC,i'll let you both know what they have to say.Hopefully they will reply this time !!.

Stephen

Stephen

I visited the cemetery this morning,and I must say what an excellent job the maitenance people have done. The trees have been cut back and the grass trimmed and weeds removed from around the headstones. I did take a picture unfortunately it was out of focus and looks poor. I did find the broken headstone to Alfred Duckworth 9767 S. Staffs Rgt D.O.W 3/7/15. It is laid in between the trees that have been pruned I will report it again just to be on the safeside.

Regards Doug.

post-19-1108898173.jpg

Doug

I have to agree with you,they have done an excellent job in tidying up the area.I hope that they are able to keep on top of it and not let it get as bad as it did.

The headstone you have photographed is the same one i saw on Wednesday.Lets hope your e-mail and mine prompts some action in getting Private Duckworths headstone replaced/repaired.

Did you see/find the other headstone from last year or are we both imagining it :unsure:

Stephen

Stephen

I believe that Duckworths is the one I saw and reported,unfortunately I didn't keep a record of the name (I actually lost the piece of paper with the name on). The other one that was uprooted has been put back,I could see where the ground had been disturbed.

Regards Doug.

Doug

We didn't imagine it then,i was begining to think i was going barmy !!.

So at least one has been repaired and what with the tidy up.It's all being fairly positive so far !!.

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve just picked up this thread whilst searching for something else; don’t know how I’ve missed it before!

I live five minutes walk from this cemetery and visit it fairly often. I am certain that the CWGC have the Duckworth stone in hand and here’s why:

On 25th October I visited the cemetery to picture a grave for another Pal and noticed 3 stones dislodged in one area. I e-mailed CWGC that day to inform them and asked for the location of the grave that I was looking for – the cemetery staff had not been able to help me. Almost by return the CWGC replied with thanks and an offer to send me a plan showing the locations of their graves.

On 27th I visited the cemetery again and noticed that grounds-men were cutting the bushes and laying new turf on the area adjacent to the wall alongside the road. It appeared that in the process the men had knocked over two CWGC headstones.

Again an instant response from C.W.G.C. and notification that they had posted the plan as promised.

On 28th I received the plan and asked permission to give a copy to the cemetery staff.

2nd November, permission received, so a copy was duly laminated and taken to the cemetery office.

22nd November, (just a month after my original e-mail) I was notified by CWGC that the five repairs had been completed. I am sure that they will have inspected the Duckworth stone but not being a simple relocation like the others, it will take more time to fix.

I will keep tabs on the situation and report back (it had not been replaced as of last Sunday).

Roy

Thanks for that information.

Unlike Doug and Yourself i do not live locally (Telford).So i would be very interested to see when Duckworth's headstone is replaced,especially as you live so close.

I have only been in the Cemetery photgraphing a grave for a Pal (like yourself).So i probabley won't be visiting again for quite a while.

Stephen

Roy

Thanks for the information,I will look out for your update.

Regards Doug

Unbelievabley.I today recieved a reply from the CWGC,to my e-mail of the 27th September 2004.Makes me wonder if they have been reading this thread :lol: .

After they had been contacted by a number of people who had concerns over the condition of a number of graves.They confirmed work that had been done since my original e-mail and e-mails from others (Doug and Roy amongst others)plus work still to be done.

The work done being,H.Mason headstone re-erected August 2004,A.Holden & L.V.Beddow headstones re-fixed November 2004,A.H.Wylde re-plumbed November 2004,T.C.Bloomfield re-placement headstone on order.

Re-engraving has been noted as being re-quired for the headstones of J.J.H.Glazzard,J.W.Hawkins.G.Higgs,R.T.Ingram and G.A.Mills.

No mention of the headstone for Private Duckworth though,i shall give them a gentle reminder of my more recent e-mail.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen White

• 2 weeks later...

Today i've had a reply from the UK Office of the CWGC concerning Private Duckworth's headstone.

An inspector has been out to the cemetery to inspect it and has confirmed a repair is needed.A work requisition for the repair has been completed.All been well the work should be completed end of April 05 (their words).

Hopefully Doug or Roy may be able to confirm that come April !!.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen White

Stephen

I have also received the same email today from CWGC concerning Private Duckworth's headstone. I will check it out at the end of April.

Regards Doug.

The Duckworth headstone has been replaced ............ I think!

I got home from work earlier than usual this afternoon and so went to have a look. Gates closed and locked at 4.50 p.m. so I looked over the wall and there was no sign of the broken stone where it has been for some time, and an obviously new stone has been erected nearby. Looking from behind it so couldn't see the name but it is probably our man's.

I will call in this weekend and get a picture.

Roy

Roy

Thanks for that,i think you are probably right.Look forward to seeing the photograph !!

Stephen

The Duckworth headstone has been replaced ............ I think!

Well, things are not quite as they seemed.

The Duckworth stone has indeed been replaced but it is the original stone that has been re-set on it's base rather than a new stone being substituted, and as a result the stone is now rather shorter than the others and sits lower in the ground. :unsure:

I will post a picture later if I can remember how.

Roy

Here is a picture of the repositioned Duckworth stone;

Normally there would be a good few inches of stone below the cross.

Roy

Thanks for taking the time to go to the cemetery and taking the photograph.

At least Private Duckworth's headstone is now upright.

I do however think it's a crying shame,that considering how much of the stone has been broken off at the bottom.It couldn't have been replaced all together.

It doesn't look at all right,not at all "fitting",in my mind any way !!

Stephen :unsure:

Edited by Stephen White

Roy

Thanks for taking the time to go to the cemetery and taking the photograph.

At least Private Duckworth's headstone is now upright.

I do however think it's a crying shame,that considering how much of the stone has been broken off at the bottom.It couldn't have been replaced all together.

It doesn't look at all right,not at all "fitting",in my mind any way !!

Stephen  :unsure:

Been following this thread & I feel it's at least a start that the grave is now marked again...............Perhaps this is a 'half way house' measure by the CWGC until resources can be made available to replace the headstone............Has anyone been in touch to ask the reasoning behing this..............If it is a finance/resources issue I can understand why this compromise solution has been used.............Not ideal but better than nothing at all.

This is not an uncommon arrangement and can be seen in many cemeteries.

I could post umpteen photos of CWGC headstones where the 'cross' begins at ground level.

Repair is preferable to replacement on financial grounds. That may not be an ideal situation but you have to be realistic. There is only a certain amount of cash to go round and a full replacement could have to wait for years - hence, you see repaired stones and re-cut stones.

Terry,

Yes, I guessed that was the case, just another case of restricted budgets I suppose. In my limited experience, I had not noticed lowered headstones before but I'm sure that wherever I go now I'll see them all over the place!

Roy

Roy

You will see 'lowered' stones, as I said, in many places. However, they are not all due to repair.

Sometimes the lowering has been necessary to set the stone within a private grave with a raised (often concrete) base. The CWGC is actually at the right level but the private surround is higher. Also in some places the ground around the stone has built up over the years.

Only two weeks ago I saw a brand new stone which had replaced a repaired stone (snapped at the base). I had reported the damaged stone about five years ago and the temporary (as it turns out) repair was made within a few weeks - obviously pending later replacement. So the story may not be over for Pte Duckworth.

Sometimes the lowering has been necessary to set the stone within a private grave with a raised (often concrete) base. The CWGC is actually at the right level but the private surround is higher. Also in some places the ground around the stone has built up over the years.

I came accross such a case in Lodge Hill Cemetery about two weeks ago.With a "lowered"CWGC Headstone,set within a private grave.It is the first time i had seen this,although i have no doubt that there are many like it around the country.

Although it isn't perhaps the result that some may have wanted.Terry has said there are working to a restricted budget which i fully understand.So where a repair instead of a replacement is possible,i can understand why this has happened.There are probably many occasions where replacement is the ONLY option and i guess that is not going to be cheap,which will with all the other things they have to pay out for,drain their funds !!.

At least Private Duckworth's headstone is now up-right,which is a result of sorts !!

Stephen