Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Moustaches of the Great War

Sepoy

The good old Hampshires (twice!). I wish I had a steroscope as this would have to come under the heading of "Outstanding" :whistle:

Sorry Sepoy. Me and technology don't get on too well! :blink:

Sorry Sepoy. Me and technology don't get on too well! :blink:

Please don't apologise. I was trying to empathise a potential 3d view, rather than question your technological skills. The Hampshire Regiment is not only one my local Regiments, I have strong Family connections especially when it was the 37th Foot (another story), so please keep reminding us of the "Tigers".

Best regards

Sepoy

Thought I'd better make sure the East Yorkshire Regiment was represented in this thread :D . This photo of Corporals from the 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment July 1914 is from an old Snapper and will be going on my blog. I tried to count exactly how many had moustaches and how many didn't but it's a little hard to tell with the quality of the photo but there are a fair few.

corporals2.jpg

Since Caryl has introduced the statistical approach to WW1 moustaches can I repost the following? This is my grandfather probably in late January or February 1917 with his comrades in the 57th (2nd West Lancs) Division DAC prior to their embarkation for France. I am intrigued that fewer than 10% of the group sport moustaches and that the three gentlemen in question are close together. We've got an example of the full monty, the toothbrush (later to be popularised by a certain despatch runner in a Bavarian regiment based in the Fromelles area), and a bit of a Ronald Coleman thing going on in the front row. That said the more mature gentleman standing probably has enough to count as two moustaches, and looks suitably proud of the fact.

Pete.

post-101238-0-56399300-1379702901_thumb.

post-5914-0-26844100-1379753141_thumb.jp

I think my GGF may feel a little inadequate looking at some of the styles.

Some sidecaps of the late-19th/early 20th century period were fitted with hooks on the inside to allow provision of a chin-strap to prevent coming off the head. Some RFC sidecaps had them, eg:

http://postimg.org/image/w8107pwxx/

RFC_OR_s_sidecap_6.jpg

My wife's grandfather was RFC and he always spoke of 'walking along beside his cap' ! Quite the only way to wear a 'side cap' apparently.

Peter B

I have just been browsing through the London Scottish Regimental Gazette for November, 1914 (Page 215) and have noticed the following under the heading
"Unofficial Orders (The London Skittish)"
"Part II No 3 c The upper lip will be left unshaven. Those men unable to raise a decent moustache are advised to glue on the head of an old tooth brush."

Sepoy

I have now spent some days reading about the history of the moustache.

It is amazing where the Forum leads me sometimes :D

Judy

Judy I'm impressed and I know exactly what you mean about exploring the back lanes of knowledge as a result of reading stuff on here. All I can claim in that I've spent some days growing a moustache. I think there is a need for more research on why top lip facial hair was (and possibly is) considered to impart a martial bearing; on the odd occasions that I've grown one it hasn't made me look very military. As per Sepoy's quote in 83 above it usually looks a bit like I've glued on a worn brush.

Pete.

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't realise Broomers was that old!

I've only just seen that. Stop behind after lessons. We need a word.

I've only just seen that. Stop behind after lessons. We need a word.

You see, you were being talked about, even before you were famous. :P Uncanny likeness though!

A moustache could also be a bit of a burden it seemed:

In Under the Devil's eye: Wakefield & Moody, in the chapter 'Into a Serbian Winter' and during a freezing cold spell, Captain Noel Drury (Royal Dublin Fusiliers) wrote in his diary 'Ole Sergeant Crump, our pioneer sergeant who has a very long moustache, looks like a walrus with an icicle hanging and clanking from each side of his mouth'

Just found a mini bio about a Sgt. Crump, if this is the same one, when his medals came up for sale. Served in the Boer War too with the Durham Light Infantry, and was twice mentioned in despatches

http://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/catalogue-archive/lot.php?auction_id=74&lot_id=37450

Would be interesting to see a photo of him

I was once told to shave off all facial hair (as per policy) as I and others had moustaches, being young and cheeky I replied 'does that include eyebrows sir'? nothing more was ever said and the moustaches remained.

khaki