Remembered Today:

Moustaches of the Great War

Sepoy

A restrained tache - Gt Uncle Sidney ICC Western Desert

attachicon.gifgus2.jpg

This reminds me of Ickabod Crane!

H

T8Hants - Brilliant!
I work with a chap who is the spitting image of the IoW Rifles guy in your photo - I look forward to showing him...

Warwick
Thank you for adding "early learner trial tache". I had failed to find any of these really small "statement" taches which I thought may have been "all the rage" at the time, due to Charlie Chaplin.

SPOF The ultimate "Power" tache how could he be forgotten!

Sepoy

Just a quick 'aside' was "old Bill" of moustache fame actually modeled on a real person?

khaki

khaki,

Here is the man himself - probably one of the most famous moustaches of WW1.

Regards,

LF

P.S. It is interesting that Bruce Bairnsfather adds the notation ' Leo Maritimus ' under the name of Old Bill, which roughly translated is ' Sea Lion ', which is how he must have seen Old Bill in his eye.

LF

post-63666-0-42780000-1379455736_thumb.j

Thanks LF, reminds me of me when I had a full moustache as opposed to my more modest style today, oddly enough I have just thought of it I have a large collection of moustache cups and shaving mugs,, I wish I could find a 'victory' one.

khaki

If I remember correctly prior to 1908 Kings Regulations forbade the shaving of the top lip. All the group photos pre dating 1908 in the Battlefield Engineering Wing at the RSME back this up. So a lot of the old and bold carried it on. I try and maintain that tradition albeit my current RSM is not so chuffed that I do!

Apparently these regs were in force until 1916

In 1916, the regulation was dropped and troops were allowed to be clean-shaven again. This was largely because such a superficial requirement was getting ignored in the trenches of WWI, especially as they could sometimes get in the way of a good gas mask seal. The order to abolish the moustache requirement was signed on October 6, 1916 by General Sir Nevil Macready, who himself hated moustaches and was glad to finally get to shave his off.

Hello LF & Hazel,

I am thinking that his sidecap is dresswear as a 'walking out' cap, I would think that for any campaign riding he would wear the tropical helmet or maybe a pill-box hat with chin strap.

khaki

Some sidecaps of the late-19th/early 20th century period were fitted with hooks on the inside to allow provision of a chin-strap to prevent coming off the head. Some RFC sidecaps had them, eg:

http://postimg.org/image/w8107pwxx/

RFC_OR_s_sidecap_6.jpg

Some sidecaps of the late-19th/early 20th century period were fitted with hooks on the inside to allow provision of a chin-strap to prevent coming off the head. Some RFC sidecaps had them, eg:

http://postimg.org/image/w8107pwxx/

RFC_OR_s_sidecap_6.jpg

That makes a bit more sense. i had often wondered about some of those hats!

Thanks,

Hazel

Three superb Royal Warwickshire moustaches

Absolutely outstanding. (Finding all of interest so hoping there are more). I like to ponder on what the man might be thinking when deciding upon a certain type of facial adornment.

Judy

Unknown officer, North Staffs attached Royal Warwickshire

Terry

Thank you for adding this photo, as I dont believe that I have seen mixed Regimental insignia being worn like this before. I always thought that an attached Officer wore his own Regimental insignia until he was permanently transferred when he switched to the insignia of his new Regiment.

I also like the gent wearing a "Charlie Chaplin".

Sepoy

post-48147-0-19934400-1379525307_thumb.j

T.H.S.MARCHANT 13th Hussars founder of the Pony Club. During Anglo-Boer War he was present at Relief of Ladysmith including actions at Colenso and Spion Kop. (QSA 4 clasps, KSA 2 clasps). Appointed Adjutant, Warwickshire Yeomanry on 13 September 1909.

In the Great War he served with the 13th Hussars before being appointed T/Lt.Colonel 2/4th South Lancashire Regt, until 4 September 1918. From 5 September 1918 until 15 March 1919 he was Brigade Commander 126th Infantry Brigade in France and became Lt. Colonel of the 5th Dragoon Guards. (D.S.O. L.G. 3 June 1918, BWM, VM., M.I.D 3 times).

Retired from the Army with rank of Brigadier-General in 1925. During the period 1940-42 he was Officer Commanding 2nd County of London Bn. Home Guard (Defence Medal).

khaki,

Here is the man himself - probably one of the most famous moustaches of WW1.

Regards,

LF

P.S. It is interesting that Bruce Bairnsfather adds the notation ' Leo Maritimus ' under the name of Old Bill, which roughly translated is ' Sea Lion ', which is how he must have seen Old Bill in his eye.

LF

He's the spitting image of David Fletcher, lately of the Tank Museum.

post-48147-0-62910300-1379544609_thumb.j

Pte S.F. GODLEY,V.C. 4th Bn. Royal Fusiliers (Nimy Rail Bridge 23.8.1914)

post-98177-0-84689600-1379610461_thumb.jpost-98177-0-84689600-1379610461_thumb.j

Stiff upper lip?

Surprised this man has not appeared yet

hitlerww1.jpg

Andy

A tad Pre Great War but one of my favourites

GeneralEacutetiennedeVillaret.jpg

Andy