Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My walk from Serre to Thiepval

egbert

On request from some pals here, I finally decide to share some precious pictures with you. I came transatlantic 2 weeks ago and discovered the finest Somme weather. I had the privilege to be accompanied by "Chester-Famous Messenger Dog".

We started the walk between Gommecourt and Serre; upon reaching the Heidenkopf I took several pictures which I stiched to a panorama picture; preceding the picture is my point of view at the edge of the Feste Heidenkopf:

post-80-1180381329.jpg

Wait a second - I was there too

post-4-1094787443.jpg

post-1909-1180383863.jpg

Since long time it was my desire to have a panorama view from atop of Feste Schwaben (Schwaben Redoubt); we were extreme lucky with the undistorted view

post-80-1180381730.jpg

It's late in the night, it took substantial time to stich the panorama's together; got to go to sleep now. if you like, give me some feedback whether it's worth to continue tomorrow eve with the effort...

Egbert, many thanks indeed for these excellent photographs and maps.

If you have any more, please show.

The Heidenkopf area was where my great uncle 4759 Private William Wood, 1st/6th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment was KIA, 1st July 1916.

He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial, to the left on the 4th picture.

Where was the 2nd picture taken?

Regards

Richard

Egbert, many thanks indeed for these excellent photographs and maps.

If you have any more, please show.

The Heidenkopf area was where my great uncle 4759 Private William Wood, 1st/6th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment was KIA, 1st July 1916.

He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial, to the left on the 4th picture.

Where was the 2nd picture taken?

Regards

Richard

Richard,

the second Heidenkopf-picture was taken appr. 50m from depicted standpoint (if you go to the standpoint pic, just imagine 50m below ( due south); you see the back hedge of the Serre cemetery

Egbert,

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them. I want to get an Airedale, my wife doesn't. Tell the best argument to use to convince her! I think they are great dogs.

Robert

Many thanks Chester (and Egbert) for answering my question regarding the second picture.

Is Pendant Copse shown in the second picture, if so which copse is it?

Regards

Richard

post-4-1094844848.jpg

Robert D.: I had only 1.5 days for WW1 and could not make it to lay the flowers on the grave...

Robert:I try to find some arguments later in the day....

Martin: Chester had no time - he was looking for your snow in August......(only Martin understands) :lol:

Richard: Pendant copse is NOT on the pics; it's in the opposite direction

For those interested, there are some great aerial photographs at http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/the...assification=16

The site has been updated with 'Somme battlefield including High Wood Photographs taken April 2004 '.

Regards

Richard

In continuation of my first thread, please accept the follow-on tour:

amidst Schwaben Redoubt and expert talks about the view, we forgot situational awareness and became a sudden victim of a tremendous gas attack. Next to us a tractor started spraying the fields with chemicals; the wind direction was unfavorable for us and we forgot our gas masks. We run for cover but all the trenches were gone; only the messenger dog survived the attack by pressing flat to the ground - the deadly mixture went over Chester - he surely knew how to survive...he was the only one who could pose in front of the Memorial of the Missing

post-4-1094851651.jpg

post-80-1180381915.jpg

Although the new Visitor Center was not officially opened, we were lucky to find very friendly staff. The magic words "we're from Alabama" opened a classy sneak preview; most notable the great book store with a wide selection of books - a guy from Courcelette obviously delivered an extra pallet of "Walking the Somme".

post-4-1094851866.jpg

post-80-1180381998.jpg

Here comes the next panorama picture; a field where thousands were killed in the days around 1st of July 1916 (the view is left of the blue line):

post-4-1094852030.jpg

post-80-1180382088.jpg