Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RWF men of the Midlands: new book

Muerrisch

Good of you to quote my own research back at me unacknowledged Chrome!

Unless Chrome has done the identical research to me it is from my typescript account of George Ravenhill's life deposited in Heritage, Birmingham Central Library or from extracts I placed on the Birmingham History Forum!

Gentlemen, aside from gentle hints at plagiarism, may we agree that the point principally at issue is the use of the word slum?

From that fount of all wisdom, Wiki:

A slum, as defined by the United Nations agency UN-HABITAT, is a run-down area of a city characterized by substandard housing, squalor, and lacking in tenure security.

Very nasty, very undesirable, and unfortunately rather applicable to some inner city areas before, during and after the Great War period.

Even in my 'Hove actually' town in the 1940s the area south of the railway line but north of the gentrified coastal belt [Hove 3] ticked some of the above boxes. I myself saw Great War-medalled veterans on "bogies" propelling themselves with their hands. No welfare state, medical care virtually unaffordable, snot-nosed kids with the a*se out of their trousers, and the young men in Burma, N Africa [my father], Italy, and dying in the air.

"Those were the days"

Not.

On a brighter note, orders for the book which kicked this off are going very nicely. Book is at printer.

On a brighter note, orders for the book which kicked this off are going very nicely. Book is at printer.

Well done!!

Will

I was born in the 60's my father often referred to growing up in the slums of Nechels and Aston. He wasn't born until the 40's. I guess much has to do with the perception of the individual. If you think you live in a slum you most likely do! A theory I admit that holds no water as some people "think" they are clever.

It's a shame that the positive announcement by Grumpy of my fathers book after many years of painstaking research was sullied in such a way by one individual who had not the spirit of generosity to hold his tongue just on one occasion. There are some real pedants on this forum that do it no good. It is a fantastic resource for historians and amateurs alike.It certainly was useful when I was doing my MA in British First World War Studies at Birmingham University. Not for the content as there is now so much pedantic self centered I know better than thou posters; that it becomes impossible in a lot of cases to get the facts from the thread. This is due to the bile and dross written by "professional" amateurs with little or no foundation for the knowledge they profess to have. This is one reason I rarely post on here.

I will certainly never join in any discussions that may require an opinion based on historical fact as there are far too many members who know more than I could ever hold a candle to.

Their forum it seems is for them and them alone!

Pete Knight

www.oldcontemptibles.com

Are there any men from around the Wolverhampton area?

Tony

Hello - Could I ask if my Wife's Great Uncle, 76331 Pte. William Snookes, 17th Btn RWF, of Heath St.Winson Green is included, please?

The CWGC have his name spelled wrongly - missing the 'e', so does the Hall of Memory Remembrance Book. The National Roll, Section VI Birmingham, has it right. If he is present, just wondering about the spelling.

Looks and sounds a fantastic book - congratulations to you from another Brummie Fusilier family!

Hello - Could I ask if my Wife's Great Uncle, 76331 Pte. William Snookes, 17th Btn RWF, of Heath St.Winson Green is included, please?

The CWGC have his name spelled wrongly - missing the 'e', so does the Hall of Memory Remembrance Book. The National Roll, Section VI Birmingham, has it right. If he is present, just wondering about the spelling.

Looks and sounds a fantastic book - congratulations to you from another Brummie Fusilier family!

He is included with a photo

Very many thanks for your reply. We are somewhat taken aback that there is a photo of him - we don't have one ourselves, other than one of him as a child!! Could you tell us if the spelling is OK, please?

Very many thanks for your reply. We are somewhat taken aback that there is a photo of him - we don't have one ourselves, other than one of him as a child!! Could you tell us if the spelling is OK, please?

His name was William Snooks and he was the son of George and Mary Ann of 226 Heath St.Winson Green

Any more details just PM me

Thanks, Chrome - PM sent.

article from smethwick telephone newspaper on 8875 g w lowe states he was regimental boxing champion!

but having problem reading what they put on his cross, anyone read what article says?

post-2821-0-67988100-1362607886_thumb.jp

article from smethwick telephone newspaper on 8875 g w lowe states he was regimental boxing champion!

but having problem reading what they put on his cross, anyone read what article says?

His name was George William Lowe and he is in the book

Private G.W. Lowe Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Feather-Weight Champion, Irish Army and Navy 1911

His name was George William Lowe and he is in the book

Private G.W. Lowe Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Feather-Weight Champion, Irish Army and Navy 1911

thanks chrome

I have emailed or PM'd all enquirers this afternoon.

Two emails, to hotmail addresses, have been bounced.

Please, if you have not received a communication re. book this afternoon, get in touch privately.

Just to let everyone know - Fighting With The Royal Welsh is now available. Having received my copy today, I cannot recommend Graham Knight's meticulous work highly enough.

If, as in our case, you have someone remembered in its pages, then this book will have special significance. If not, you will still own a piece of research and a tool of reference beyond reproach that you will never tire of dipping into even after its initial reading.

Today, this book allowed my wife to see an image of her Great Uncle, killed with the 17th Battalion RWF, for the first time, and this is ample reason for us to pay tribute to the author's prowess, not forgetting those acknowledged by him as having been vital to the plot.

It is a worthy addition to anyone's bookshelves.

This is an unsolicited post, made without the author's participation or knowledge and I make it only to draw forum pals' attention to a gem that they might not want to let slip away..

I expect to have my stock of the book for GWF members in two day's time on Saturday and will post out on Monday.

I will email/PM all those on the mail out list to inform them of posting.

Meanwhile, if interested, I will have enough to hand to satisfy more demand.

Bring lots of copies to the GWF Conference!

Bruce