Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RWF men of the Midlands: new book

Muerrisch

After an absence of about 7 years with various health problems I am finally back on the forum, my book Fighting with the Royal Welsh- Men in the Midlands in the RWF 1900-1919 did quite well and I had 4 reprints, my 2nd book The Quartermaster’s Album, 1st Bn RWF 1914 – 1919 sold out and my 3rd book to complete the Trio was A Photographic Record of Life in India, Burma & Quetta with the 2nd Bn RWF was welcomed by quite a few people and sold out faster than my two previous books.

9 minutes ago, Chrome said:

After an absence of about 7 years with various health problems I am finally back on the forum, my book Fighting with the Royal Welsh- Men in the Midlands in the RWF 1900-1919 did quite well and I had 4 reprints, my 2nd book The Quartermaster’s Album, 1st Bn RWF 1914 – 1919 sold out and my 3rd book to complete the Trio was A Photographic Record of Life in India, Burma & Quetta with the 2nd Bn RWF was welcomed by quite a few people and sold out faster than my two previous books.

Welcome back!  I have your QM’s album and have been looking out for the other two books but so far to no avail.  They are all of special interest to me.

I have copies of the Quartermaster's Album & the 2nd RWF in India. Highly recommended reading. You have done a great job with these books Graham.

Regards,

Darryl

A photo that came too late for my last book, one of the men of the Red Dragon Crater fame Private John Lane 9198 2nd Bn RWF DCM sitting bottom row first left at Quetta 1912

Prime quetta[74].jpg

5 hours ago, Chrome said:

A photo that came too late for my last book, one of the men of the Red Dragon Crater fame Private John Lane 9198 2nd Bn RWF DCM sitting bottom row first left at Quetta 1912

Prime quetta[74].jpg

Fascinating to see the black soldier.  Do we know who he was/anything about him?

• 11 months later...
On 24/02/2013 at 17:08, Muerrisch said:

Firstly I declare an interest. I wrote the Foreword, and contributed a little material. Those who bought my Duty Done will note that this book is similar but geographically driven, not 2nd Battalion confined.

The book goes to the printer in the next few days, and, quite simply, I believe the GWF members should have a chance to buy it.

It is a 20 year labour of love by a Brummie, son of a decorated 2nd RWF L-Cpl.

217 pages of A4 crammed, absolutely crammed, with biographies and many many photographs of Midlanders in the RWF 1900 to 1919.

The author and I are determined that this memorial to the men should see the light of day, and are financing a very short production run to see how it goes. I believe it will be hoovered up: many of the men's famillies still live in Birmingham, and these people [many of them contributors of photos, anecdotes, artefacts] will want a copy with "our Fred" honoured at last.

So there you are: £20 a pop to include 2nd class UK post and packing.

Please PM me with your email address if interested.

Before I add here the Contents list, note that I have reported myself to the Mods who will, I am sure, see fair play.

Contents

Dedication and Foreword

Acknowledgements

Introduction

Terms used in the book and abbreviations

Chapter 1 Why Men of the Midlands?

Chapter 2 Welsh or Welch.

Chapter 3 Britannia and her boys. The British Volunteer. The 1st Cadet Battalion R Warwickshire R

Chapter 4 Tour of Overseas Service of the 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Chapter 5 Types of houses in the slum areas of Birmingham, tunnel backs and back to backs.

Chapter 6 A note on “The Regiment”, and the Numbers allocated to all soldiers

Chapter 7 The Royal Welsh Fusiliers recruiting drive in Birmingham on 25th Oct. 1915.

Chapter 8 The Great War Black Day

Chapter 9 Part One: Men of the Midlands who enlisted into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Chapter 10 Boxing

Chapter 11 The Red Dragon Crater 22nd June 1916; trench map; Red Dragon Crater casualties; tracing the Ducks

Bill Mine.

Chapter 12 Finding and the reburial of Private Richard Clarke 11115, B Company 2nd Battalion RWF

Chapter 13 Part Two: Men of the Midlands who enlisted into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Chapter 14 Army Crimes.

Chapter 15 The Hall of Memory Birmingham; RWF in the Book of Remembrance; RWF not in the Book

Chapter 16 Men in the RWF in Birmingham’s Electoral Roll of Absent Voters 1918.

Chapter 17 Men in the RWF in Birmingham’s Electoral Roll of Absent Voters 1919

Chapter 18 Medals.

Chapter 19 Additional information wanted on the following men; and late additions.

Chapter 20 Photographs of the barracks at Lichfield, Templemore, Limerick, Crownhill and Wrexham.

Chapter 21 Ships.

Chapter 22 Section map of the Somme.

Chapter 23 1st and 2nd Battalion Battle Stations and record of services.

Chapter 24 Chakrata, Birmingham men in the RWF in the 1911 census of the Roberts Barracks Quetta.

Chapter 25 The Nechells Monument

Chapter 26 Sources

Hi was wondering what the name of this publication would be very interested to see the Templemore and limerick references,

any help appreciated

regards

stephen

15 minutes ago, Provost NCO said:

Hi was wondering what the name of this publication would be very interested to see the Templemore and limerick references,

any help appreciated

regards

stephen

image.jpeg.1522de00927d215c4bdb4b0e876a1c30.jpeg