Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Snow on the Somme today

Tim Wright

Post 42, first photo. Stunning.

Roger

Tom

This is the best I could do. Sadly, after calling in a favour from Airbus the snow fell and fell and fell over High Wood

8406710964_06598289af_b.jpg

Some fantastic photos here..... thank you for sharing them

Andrew

Tom This is the best I could do. Sadly, after calling in a favour from Airbus the snow fell and fell and fell over High Wood

Well I can’t fault you for effort John; thanks :whistle:

Looks very like the conditions there during much of the winter of 1916-17 when my granddad and his mates were slogging past High Wood on their way up and down towards the front about Eucourt.

Post # 54 is superb. Did you by any chance take any of the 16th Div memorial at Guillemont when you were on the way to Trones ?

Tom

They are ALL bloody good, but I know what you mean Kim.

Roger

I'm due to go to Belgium on Friday for a tour until Sunday, as I've never driven abroad before, would anyone recommend I still visit considering possible road conditions and condition of the ground in places we wish to visit? (Polygon Wood, Hill 60 etc etc)

Yesterday on the Somme. I was guiding a poetry/Birdsong tour for a day from Enfield with 45 AS students. We got up to Serre Rd No 3 despite the big drift just up the track. Newfoundland Park was closed (i.e. Visitors' Centre) but we still got up past the Caribou. We went off the main road at La Boiselle and stopped at the Crater turning to see what it was like. We decided to walk up to the Crater but first went up to the top by the French village memorial to turn. Disaster reversing as the double back wheels on one side had found the grass/earth verge - the driver thought it was still road. We were stuck right across the road so anyone coming up the road heading for Contalmaison had to squeeze past us and take a longer way round. We set off for the Crater on foot which was as bad as Serre with drifting. On return coach still stuck and a gathering of amused villagers. One guy was particularly helpful and had phoned the Mayoress who contacted someone with a 4x4 pick up whose chains pulled the back of the coach out sideways to our relief as we needed to head for Calais. Great stuff from the locals - in sharp contrast to Border Agency at the Tunnel passport control who insisted on allowing trainees supervised (five in total) to experiment with a coach which had no luggage in the hold, had been out for a day, was full of sixth form students. They took off a side panel and peered inside with torches for ages. And they had a surly attJan22nd2013 006.JPGitude. Well done les francais.Jan22nd2013 007.JPG

post-17223-0-48642500-1358937481_thumb.j

post-17223-0-89239100-1358937506_thumb.j

The snow really allows the shadows to fall on the trenches, making it easier to see them (post #64). I also like your alternative view of Lochnagar Crater Alan, not one which really shown, but is very much appreciated.

I'm due to go to Belgium on Friday for a tour until Sunday, as I've never driven abroad before, would anyone recommend I still visit considering possible road conditions and condition of the ground in places we wish to visit? (Polygon Wood, Hill 60 etc etc)

Roads will be fine.

About 10 cms of snow in Brussels, don't know about the Ypres area, but would prepare for snow on the ground.

Should look really nice, and different from the usual summer pics.

Alan, Border agency/Passport control being surly?...are you sure???...........next thing you`ll tell me is that they are singularily unhelpfull and full of their own self importance!!!!!!!........ah jist cannae believe ye son!

Alan sorry meant to say pictures are stunning.

Iain

Frajon,Your photos on posts 54 and 55 are truly superb. The 18th Eastern Div memorial photo looks like a painting! Fantastic stuff! Iain

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Iain, I was amazed at the photograph of the 18th (Eastern) Memorial when i saw it on the screen, certainly one of my favourites now.

Tom

Did you by any chance take any of the 16th Div memorial at Guillemont when you were on the way to Trones ?

I hadn't but have now.

8409575952_ed0d74eb86_b.jpg

Butte de Warlencourt

8408478033_49530360fc_b.jpg

... Did you by any chance take any of the 16th Div memorial at Guillemont when you were on the way to Trones ?

I hadn't but have now. ...

Thanks John – lovely photo. I have a particular affection for the 16th Division Memorials in France and Belgium, and William Hickie who was instrumental in their creation. (Don’t suppose you could nip up to Wytscaete and photograph the one there in the snow as well – so we had “the pair” :hypocrite: ).

Tom

Stunning photos, Frajohn. Do you have the photos on Flickr on Facebook? I don't think you can see this thread if you're not logged in to GWF.

Absolutely brilliant photographs - I am sure there are many Pals around the world (including the UK) who cannot make the long trip to see these places and for whom such super images are the best they can hope for. Keep them coming.

Jim

All photos are excellent I didn't think that part of France got that type of winter almost "Canadian" stay warm folks

Cheers

Rick

I'm amazed at the "blueness" (if that's a correct word) of the sky - it certainly hasn't been like that in South Wales!

Excellent photos - thank you.