Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Snow on the Somme today

Tim Wright

Thanks Ken...usual problem in the UK again today. keep the photos coming if you get The chance I'm in the first few days of recovering from a total hip replacement the upside being it gives me a lot more time to study the forum than I normally would have Colin

The snow in January 2011 was the final tick in the box that told us that living on the Somme wasn't really a long term option and we put the house on the market.

The locals seem to manage.

And the snow wouldn't put me off. So we may be snowed in in the village now and then. I can think of worse places to be. And there is a lot to be said for the simpler way of life here.

I admire anyone who sticks it out and where we now is probably as remote as Auchonvillers, but it is England.

Beautiful photographs thank you for posting them

Is that a seal with a dog's face photoshopped onto it? :w00t:

No Chris.

Its my dog with snow upto his bits, well it would be if he still had them.

1st Australian Division Memorial, Pozieres

IMG_6219a.jpg

Adanac Cemetery

IMG_6195a.jpg

Ulster Tower and Mill Road Cemetery

IMG_2182a.jpg

Thiepval Memorial and Anglo-French Cemetery

IMG_2164a.jpg

Newfoundland Memorial Park

IMG_2131a.jpg

:thumbsup:

Looks like I'll be digging my way into the yard at the house in a few weeks time! I know we should not wish our life away but the next 18 months are really going to drag. Maybe see you for a beer or two in February Ken? (that's if I can get out of Boiry! :unsure: )

Oh and keep the photos coming.

Jim

Let me know your dates in February, Jim. I'll start digging from this end if you start digging from yours. Beer in the middle?

Newfoundland Memorial Park

IMG_2121a.jpg

Tank Memorial Pozieires

IMG_2105a.jpg

Adanac Cemetery

IMG_2090a.jpg

John – thanks – I look forward to seeing Jennie and yourself sometime next month (white, no sugar :thumbsup: ). Tell me though, have you managed yet to replicate the one I particularly aspired to, in the snow ? >

post-108-0-41104700-1358804214_thumb.jpg

Nb – John, ref the photoshop stuff – if they did that to London Cemetery it wouldn’t be there five minutes after I next arrived on the Somme, trust me, it wouldn’t ! ............. it wouldn’t !

Tom

Tom not sure what happened to the photo of London Cemetery gates, the image on flickr is corrupted as well. Will upload again in the morning. Meanwhile here is one of Thiepval in the snow. you'll need ladders for this one :hypocrite:

8402508193_386b6e0f09_b.jpg

John – out of concern for your wellbeing I have resisted the temptation to point out … the other thing ... to the aficionados of the “Political Division”. You wouldn’t like some of them knocking at your door :w00t:

I’d be de-modifying that one double-quick if I were you !

Tom

As I posted earlier I'm housebound for a couple of weeks duo to an op. Because I am usually very active I thought I would be bored........with photos of these and the thread recently stared about diaries a I've had plenty to occupy my mind, I,m also impresses how clear of snow the road was near the Ulster Tower......... Keep them coming if poss ... Thanks Colin

Post 42, third picture...incredible one rose in bloom!

TT