Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Royal Rifle Corps, 16th Bn.

ellie_lou

I'm looking for any information on the brothers Walter and Arthur Carter, from the 16th Bn. KRRC. and information on the battalion in general.

Walter c/1392

Arthur c/233

From CWGC site:

CARTER, WALTER

Rank: Lance Corporal Service No: C/1392 Date of Death: 04/11/1916 Age: 21 Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps 16th Bn. Grave Reference 3.F.22. Cemetery LONDON CEMETERY AND EXTENSION, LONGUEVAL

Additional Information:

Son of Sara Dawson (formerly Carter), of 9, Royal Fold, Mytholmroyd, Yorkshire; husband of Emily Whitaker (formerly Carter), of 1, Water House Cottage, Birch Road, Wardle. Rochdale, Lancashire.

CARTER, ARTHUR

Rank: Lance Corporal Service No: C/233 Date of Death: 12/12/1916 Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps 16th Bn. Grave Reference II. G. 13. Cemetery COMBLES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

SDGW

Name: Walter Carter

Birth Place: Halifax

Residence: Mytholmroyd, Yorks

Death Date: 4 Nov 1916

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Halifax, Yorks

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Battalion: 16th Battalion

Number: C/1392

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: Arthur Carter

Birth Place: Halifax, Yorks

Residence: Mytholroyd, Yorks

Death Date: 12 Dec 1916

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Halifax

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Battalion: 16th Battalion

Number: C/233

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

post-7658-0-25190700-1354233953_thumb.jpAs the previous post states there are several threads/posts about the CLB Battalion. Type "church lads brigade" or "16th KRRC" into the Forum search. Here is a photograph of the Mytholmroyd Volunteers, members of the CLB who joined up in WW1. Some of these lads have been identified as members of the 16th KRRC Battalion, but whether or not all of these lads joined the 16th KRRC is not known. I am wondering if you might be able to identify the Carters.

I have always been intrigued by the implications of this battalion being the 16th (Church Lads). I have this vision of them gathering round for bible reading sessions whilst their neighbours head off to the nearest estaminet for a few scoops.

Jack

You should read Lyn Macdonald's book called 'Somme' for an insight into how the Church Lads conducted themselves. It makes for interesting reading. It also gives a very good account of what they faced going into High Wood in July 1916.

I went back to my documentation and found individual photos of both Carters. Will be away for a month so if you send me a personal message after 10th January, I will send you scans.

• 1 month later...

Have bought Lyn Macdonald's Somme, definitely looking forward to reading it. Okay, thank you in advance.

Pictures of Carters. First picture is A. Carter. Can identify the soldier in the centre of the back row also, but will need to look this out. Johnny Conn

post-7658-0-32907300-1358075763_thumb.jp

post-7658-0-36026100-1358075780_thumb.jp

This is the photo I have of him, given to my father by Walter's wife. I believe originally he was in the Royal Scots, and later transferred to the 16th KRRC, maybe that's when the mix up is? But I haven't gotten hold of his Service Records so can't confirm this... post-93817-0-07237500-1358083009_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

First up...the Mytholmroyd picture is not complete. There are others in the picture, ie the minister and CLB Captain. If you wish to see the whole picture you will have to contact its holder. I can provide contact details. Walter Carter is not in the picture as he is a later draft...note his number C/1392. Arthur Carter C/233 is wearing a flower. In the very centre of the back row is C/241, Sgt W H Taylor, killed. Can tell you he was a Staff Sergeant in the CLB company, appointed 26/5/11.

David ... Some on your list were in B Company, others C Company. Farrar, Hey and both Jacksons in C Company.

I have always been intrigued by the implications of this battalion being the 16th (Church Lads). I have this vision of them gathering round for bible reading sessions whilst their neighbours head off to the nearest estaminet for a few scoops.

Jack

My grandfather served in 16/KRRC and I can't see him in your vision! :-)

PS Halfway through your German Army on The Somme by the way - really enjoying it: a great piece of work!

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 months later...

I wonder if anyone can help me with Ernest George Thomas Chatfield C1204 and Edwin Charles Reynolds C1206, both from Sevenoaks, Kent.

Both had attended the Lady Boswell school and were confirmed at St Mary, Kippington, as well as being members of the Church Lads Brigade. Having enlisted on the same day, both friends were killed on the Somme on November 5th 1916 and are remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

Grateful for any help on this- it seems they were inseparable and I'd like to find out more about them and where the KRR were.

Thanks in advance

Matt

I wonder if anyone can help me with Ernest George Thomas Chatfield C1204 and Edwin Charles Reynolds C1206, both from Sevenoaks, Kent.

Both had attended the Lady Boswell school and were confirmed at St Mary, Kippington, as well as being members of the Church Lads Brigade. Having enlisted on the same day, both friends were killed on the Somme on November 5th 1916 and are remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

Grateful for any help on this- it seems they were inseparable and I'd like to find out more about them and where the KRR were.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Matt,

This would be in the major attack by C and D Companies at 11:00hrs at LES BOEUFS on HAZY TRENCH and BORITSKA TRENCH. 39 OR's killed, 113 wounded, 11 MiA.

HAZY TRENCH is the unlabelled green line to the west of SLEET TRENCH. 16/KRRC were in 100th Brigade of 33rd Division and ended the day on the line of solid red dots.

post-20192-0-24682400-1404816241_thumb.j

The attack used a rolling barrage with platoons attacking in echelon - the beginnings of the new platoon tactics adopted in earnest over the winter of 1916-1917.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies, I've only just seen you reply. Thank you very much for this. I'm now in touch with Ernest's niece who will be very interested to see this.

Matt

• 1 year later...

This may be of interest to anyone following this thread. I have just returned from a trip to the Somme following up my research into the fallen of Mytholmroyd and Cragg Vale, and have photographed both Arthur and Walter Carter's war graves and also C/241, Sgt W H Taylor mentioned above at the Thiepval Memorial.

If anyone needs information or pictures, just ask.

Regards

Wayne

• 6 months later...

Anyone following this topic may be interested in the Lives of the First World War "Community" I had created to share my research into the Mytholmroyd Church Lad's Brigade members, many of who enlisted in the KRRC. Find it here at https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/2518

I have managed to name a lot of the men as some of their obituary photos in the local press were copied from the CLB photo. I also have a copy of original cuttings from the papers which were collected by one of my friend's grandmother throughout the war. She put them in three scrap books. A unique collection.

Please feel free to contact me regarding any of the CLB members, memorials etc, or indeed any men from the Mytholmroyd and Cragg Vale area as I have been researching them all. They are also in a LOFWW community at https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/1835

Wayne

There was another thread started last November by Mark Hone in Units and Formations called King's Royal Rifle Corps - Recruitment in Lancashire. The Bolton papers named a number of local men in the Church Lads Brigade who were serving in the 16th Bn.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

Bolton is on the dark side for us over the border in God's own county and just far enough not to be "local" for me. :P

Cheers

Wayne