Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Royal Rifle Corps, 16th Bn.

ellie_lou

Guest JulieMH

Hi

I am involved in a project to commemorate all the Mytholmroyd men who lost their lives in the great war. I have painted a portrait of Arthur and Walter Carter and am happy to send you further information if you are interested.

I can be contacted through this link or at higneyj@hotmail.com. If you email direct then please put subject as Carter so I don't miss it.

Julie

Julie

Although not doing a painting, I am also involved with the project. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Wayne

• 10 months later...

I've posted some more detail on the 05 Nov 1916 16/KRRC Hazy Trench attack in another topic, but thought I'd include it here in this more general 16/KRRC thread.

Mark

From above ...

On 08/07/2014 at 11:33, MBrockway said:

Matt,

This would be in the major attack by C and D Companies at 11:00hrs at LES BOEUFS on HAZY TRENCH and BORITSKA TRENCH. 39 OR's killed, 113 wounded, 11 MiA.

HAZY TRENCH is the unlabelled green line to the west of SLEET TRENCH. 16/KRRC were in 100th Brigade of 33rd Division and ended the day on the line of solid red dots.

post-20192-0-24682400-1404816241_thumb.j

The attack used a rolling barrage with platoons attacking in echelon - the beginnings of the new platoon tactics adopted in earnest over the winter of 1916-1917.

From the other topic ...

25 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

Lastly Annie, here is a more detailed map of the Hazy Trench attack on 05 Nov 1916 where your uncle fell :poppy:

5908423c80fac_HazyTrenchattackby16-KRRCon05Nov1916.jpg.8b578fe0b4a0b90f3fcaa69d65864b32.jpg

Hazy Trench is centred on 57C.T.5.a.8.7.  The previous day a German prisoner had been captured from 81st Reserve Infanterie Regiment, so this is likely to be the German unit facing them.

The light green crayon line marks the final position consolidated.

16/KRRC attacked from Frosty trench and the trench head of the Snow communication trench - see blue crayon.

The attack began at 11:00hrs and progressed well except 16/KRRC's right flank was left exposed due to the neighbouring battalion, 1/Queens, not attacking Boritska Trench.  This was partly due to confusion about orders and the line of the artillery barrage, and partly due to getting lost en route to their start position. However 16/KRRC were able to make contact with 2/Worcesters, who were to the right of 1/Queens, but attacking the German flank in a NW direction - see red crayon above.  Between them 16/KRRC and 2/Worcesters were able to plug the gap in the newly captured position until reinforcements from 9/HLI and 1/Queens came up to join them.

Casualties were light by Somme standards, though sadly they included your Uncle George :poppy:, and the attack was regarded as a great success.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/06/2014 at 12:24, MattB said:

I wonder if anyone can help me with Ernest George Thomas Chatfield C1204 and Edwin Charles Reynolds C1206, both from Sevenoaks, Kent.

Both had attended the Lady Boswell school and were confirmed at St Mary, Kippington, as well as being members of the Church Lads Brigade. Having enlisted on the same day, both friends were killed on the Somme on November 5th 1916 and are remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

Grateful for any help on this- it seems they were inseparable and I'd like to find out more about them and where the KRR were.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Re-visiting this cold topic, I thought you might like to see this detail from a contemporary GW photo of the Kippington CLB's notice board outside the Drill Hall in Argyle Street, Sevenoaks.

5af4472c0b44a_1915-1-detailofnoticeboard.jpg.bb726fb39fb8fd744fe56828a9dd5bfe.jpg

Here is the larger photo with a modern view adjacent.  The soldiers are from an unrelated ASC unit, who were temporarily billeted in Sevenoaks in 1915  ...

The CLB board appears empty, but the board next to it, which is for the local company of the 4th RWK, has a lovely Special Reserve recruitment poster in it.

5af450e93eb23_Bingo01-Copy.jpg.e6278a176317513ea46fce67733cdb5b.jpg

Original photograph © A Marshall - please contact Pal MBrockway if you wish to reproduce it

Detail of the visible poster ...

5af44c92974b0_HisMajestysSpecialReserverecruitmentposter(IWMPST12149)-cropped.jpg.ad7c59627e4c3e82ad537fa23c5a546a.jpg

© IWM (Art.IWM PST 12149) - details here: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/20123

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

On 24/04/2018 at 04:44, Pastor Dabney said:

Looking for infornation on Rev. James Duncan.

On 24/04/2018 at 08:52, MBrockway said:

I assume you are aware of his book on 16/KRRC?

See here: Rev Duncan - With the C.L.B. Battalion in France

Mark

Are you investigating Rev Duncan's time as an exchange clergyman in the United States?

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

• 1 month later...

My Great Grandfather was Harold Cyril Barker. He was born in 1895 and mostly known as Cyril. We're fairly confident that he was in the 16th Bn KRRC, having joined from Stoke on Trent. He was wounded three times during the war and then commissioned in 1917 or 1918. We don't know which Bn or Regt he was commissioned into or which battles he was involved in, although we think he was first wounded on the Somme. Is anyone able to add anything to this sketch? Thanks. 

32 minutes ago, Richard Lamey said:

My Great Grandfather was Harold Cyril Barker. He was born in 1895 and mostly known as Cyril. We're fairly confident that he was in the 16th Bn KRRC, having joined from Stoke on Trent. He was wounded three times during the war and then commissioned in 1917 or 1918. We don't know which Bn or Regt he was commissioned into or which battles he was involved in, although we think he was first wounded on the Somme. Is anyone able to add anything to this sketch? Thanks. 

HI,

His medal card shows that he went abroad in March 1916, His number C/1259 would certainly indicate 16th Bn.  He was commissioned 29/1/1918, and he appears to have continued to serve in the KRRC as a 2nd Lt.  The address on the card is The Firs, Caverswall, Stoke-on-Trent.

LG commission - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30543/supplement/2474/

LG 1919  - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31666/supplement/14796/

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. C. Barker relinquishes
his commission on completion of service, 24
Oct. 1919, and retains the rank of 2nd Lt.

Edited by IPT

Hi,

From the long number records (National Archives file WO 338/2/5) I'm thinking he is the Harold Cyril shown here...

image.png.c116824cfbf5faaa7e545eee282e7280.png

"60" = 60th Regiment of Foot, aka KRRC. The "P" reference equates to a post war serving officer file, and appears to be held (albeit probably heavily weeded) by the MoD.

image.png.386c3c6aaf83a5cfb4a538d0c6bf57f7.png

A copy of what is left of the file should be attainable for £30 - see here for general advice. I understand that as he was born over 110 years ago, they don't need a copy death certificate. There is a helpdesk number here. The service record should enable you to cross reference to relevant WW1 war diaries - National Archives search page here.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Definitely 16/KRRC - his BW&VM roll entry (which confirms he went to commission 29 Jan 1918 across on the RHS of the page but cropped off here):

84585729_BARKERRfnHCC-125916-KRRCComm.29-01-191.jpg.95306110ce57c353e311cae41374162a.jpg

• 2 years later...

looking for information on Sergeant Harold Lister Goddard - he came from Wombwell near Barnsley in South Yorkshire  - 16th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps. Wounded in July 1916 - family history is that this was a shrapnel wound to the knee. Did he return to the battalion after 1916, or was he transferred to another battalion?

Assuming his service number was C.470 then the medal rolls only show service overseas with the 16th Bn.

However, he wasn't discharged until 24th April 1918, and it was from the 6th (Reserve) Battalion. He was awarded a Silver War Badge due to sickness (not wounds). 

I haven't checked for service papers.

BillyH.

4 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Assuming his service number was C.470 then the medal rolls only show service overseas with the 16th Bn.

However, he wasn't discharged until 24th April 1918, and it was from the 6th (Reserve) Battalion. He was awarded a Silver War Badge due to sickness (not wounds). 

I haven't checked for service papers.

BillyH.

Thanks very much Billy. I’m only guessing at this stage but I’m thinking he may have been posted to the reserve battalion due to not being fit enough for front line service after the knee injury. I’ve read local newspaper reports of him being wounded in 1916 and a further report of being well looked after in hospital (including a trip out in a charabang) but the trail goes cold after that

There may be something in the pension ledger cards. I will have a look tonight.

BillyH.

There are two pension ledger cards for him. He was awarded a smallish pension for life (14 shillings p.w.) but the cards do not say what his disablement was. 

BillyH.

Thanks again for your help Billy. I think the disablement must have been relatively slight - after the war he went onto become a winding engine driver at Mitchell's Main Colliery in Wombwell near Barnsley and was also a special constable. Over the last few years I have gathered quite a bit of background information about Harold Goddard. His father was a wagon builder and he had two older sisters Annie (my great-grandmother) and Nellie. Annie married my great grandfather Tom Thorpe who was also a winding engine driver at Mitchell's Main Colliery. Tom came from a large family (4 brothers and 5 sisters) and his older brother William Thorpe (colliery book keeper and coal salesman at Mitchell's Main) ran the local Church Lads Brigade at St Marys Church in Wombwell, so it's likely William would have recruited Harold into the CLB. From the research I've done in local newspaper records - mostly the South Yorkshire, Swinton and Mexborough Times, the Wombwell CLB went to summer training camps near Bridlington, North Yorkshire. The first military record I've found for Harold has him listed as a Corporal in 1914 - his service number was C470 - and quite soon after listed as Sergeant. There's an article from early August 1916 in the South Yorkshire, Swinton and Mexborough Times which reports Harold as wounded along with other KRR men from Wombwell amongst other casualties from other regiments. Subsequently I've seen a shorter snippet from the same newspaper where Harold has written to say he's been well looked after in hospital - I have seen a photo of Harold in his hospital blues but sadly that picture is now lost to the family. He doesn't appear to have undertaken any further overseas service. I did meet Harold in his later years but wasn't old enough to have talked to him about his service

• 1 year later...

A photo I recently came across of Sergeant Harold Lister Goddard, 16th Battalion King’s Royal Rifle Corps. It was taken by a local photographer in Barnsley and looks to be hand tinted. 3BEAC715-D110-4AAE-9E20-77B72DA46BF8.jpeg.90250ef4141ba908e16a93f9f3a38bf4.jpeg