Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th KRRC Church Lads Photo?

jacks4jules

I wonder if any of the experts can tell me if these are 16th KRRC Please ?

. I chose the officer section as I am not at all good at resizing photos.

Should anybody wish for a full size scan I can e mail it you just mail me.

post-32154-0-41047400-1346879143_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Hichens.jpg

Lieutenant James Bryn Hichens

Kings Royal Rifle Corps

Lieutenant James Bryn Hichens, son of J.K.H. Hichens Esq. of Beech Grove, Sunninghill, was born on October 16th, 1872, and entered Mr. Morsheads House from Mr. Kynnersley's preparatory school at Ascot, as an Exhibitioner: he was Senior Commoner Prefect in 1890, President of Boat Club and a member of Commoner VI. While at Winchester he lost the sight of one eye through a blow from a football. In 1891 he went up to Magdalen College, Oxford, with an Exhibition and in 1893 was placed in the First Class in Classical Moderations. He took his degree in 1895 with a Second Class in Literae Humaniores and in 1900 joined his fathers firm (Messrs. Hichens and Harrison, Stockbrokers, of Austin Friars).

Captain James Rockcliffe Smith. M.C. He was the son of Robert Vaughan Smith and Harriet Elizabeth Smith (nee Lynch). He was born on 15th January 1883 and educated at J W Leathley's School, High Broughton, Manchester. He was on the staff of the Commercial Union Assurance Company. He was gazetted as 2nd Lieutenant 24th Septmeber and went to France with 16/KRRC in November 1915. He was woundedkilled in action at Bullecourt on 20th May 1917 whilst leading his company during an attack at Fontaine Les Croisilles. He is buried there. An officer wrote: A fine soldier and a leader of men, who were always ready to follow him anywhere. Like everything else he took in hand, he put his heart and soul in soldiering, and proved a most capable and trustworthy officer, and one who would have gone far if he had been spared.' He was awarded the M.C. for gallantry in the fighting for FOURNEAUX WOOD. He was wounded on 21st July 1916. He took a zealous interest in the Church Lads' Brigade and was a keen athlete, being Captain of the Broughton Cricket Club and the North Manchester Association Football Club.

Attached Images

• roll0711.jpg
  • roll0751.jpg

I wonder if any of the experts can tell me if these are 16th KRRC Please ?

. I chose the officer section as I am not at all good at resizing photos.

Should anybody wish for a full size scan I can e mail it you just mail me.

Officers certainly appear to be KRRC - blackened buttons and KRRC 'beehive' officer's cap badge - and there are hints elsewhere of some of the pre-khaki SD CLB uniforms. I'd have to see a bigger copy though to go further - PM sent :-)

Cheers,

Mark

... and there are hints elsewhere of some of the pre-khaki SD CLB uniforms ...

Cheers,

Mark

Changed my mind about the pre-khaki CLB uniforms :-)

The darker uniforms are most likely the blue serge tunics issued to the New Army units ahead of khaki SD becoming available in quantity.

The 11 Platoon photo definitely has these blue uniforms - as discussed in the linked thread.

Cheers,

Mark

16 KRRC were initially issued with blue uniforms whilst at Denham. These were exchanged for khaki when they moved to Rayleigh in April 1915. (see with the CLB Battalion France' by the Rev James Duncan).

16 KRRC were initially issued with blue uniforms whilst at Denham. These were exchanged for khaki when they moved to Rayleigh in April 1915. (see with the CLB Battalion France' by the Rev James Duncan).

Quite correct. Took a bit of finding though :) ...

post-20192-0-59583900-1348414570_thumb.g

[Rev. James Duncan With the C.L.B. Battalion in France (1917), p.98]

Swords of course being rifles parlance, not actual swords.

Cheers,

Mark

from http://1914-1918.inv...showtopic=30700 Photographer from Uxbridge. Possibly present in this photograph:

C/604 Bugler W Adams. Trans to Labour Corps 9.4.19

C/418 Bugler Alfred L Barlow. Discharged 23.5.19

C/676 Bugler John H Harrison. Discharged 19.3.19

C/589 Bugler Arnold Ingham. K in A 15.7.16 (High Wood) Age 21 (Born St Peter’s Ashton-U-Lyne) Son of John and Emily Ingham of 70, Marlborough Street, Ryecroft, Ashton-under Lyne. (Thiepval Memorial). (MIC shows Private)

C/193 Bugler William Nightingale. Discharged 17.2.19

C/678 Bugler Richard Coote Southwell. K in A 28.1.16 (Born Pontefract, Yorks. Enlisted Pontefract. Son Richard Coote Southwell and Lily Southwell of Mill Lane, Pontefract, Yorks. (Loos Memorial).

C/658 Bugler Frank Stanier. Enlisted 23.9.14 Discharged 4.4.18 Trench Feet.

C/406 Bugler Stanley O Webb. Enlisted 21.9.14. Discharged 21.3.17. Wounds (Glastonbury

Picture.jpg

Just realised I had the OP's picture in my FleaBay Watch List! The bidding went past my ceiling - set relatively low as my grandfather did not transfer into 16/KRRC until (probably) late 1916, so was not in the battalion when this photo was taken.

Here's the bumph on the photo posted by the original vendor ...

Real photographic postcard of a large group of Officers, NCOs & men serving with a kitcheners army battalion of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps [ KRRC ]. Believed to be the 16th Battalion [ Church Lads Brigade ]. Posted by S.W. Russell to Miss E Barnwell, Paradice Row, Blaby nr Leicester. Posted from Gerrards Cross on 9 NOV 14. Postcard in good overall condition for age, though some silvering to r/hand margin and a couple of light bumps to surface.

A Gerrard's Cross postmark points to 16/KRRC as Denham is close to Gerrard's Cross and 16/KRRC were definitely in Denham in Nov 1914.

I guess the next lead to chase is an MIC to a S.W. Russell.

If that draws a blank, then I'd look for S.W. Russell in the Blaby 1911 Census.

Also worth contacting the Church Lads Brigade Historical Group via Johnny Conn - they may well have a record of S.W.Russell in the CLB archives.

Cheers,

Mark

Recipient of the card : Edith Emiliy Barnwell born 1892 in Blaby. 1911 census : aged 18 and employed as a Cloth Hat Band maker. Married Arthur Slinn in 1917. Died 1957?

Llew - William Russell C/219 is 16 KRRC as indicated by the date of his arrival in France and his Regimental No with 'C' prefix.

There was another Russell family living in Paradise Row in 1911?

No Russell's showing on the AVL in Pardise Row i'm afraid, James William does have a brother in RAF, Leonard?

There are some other 16th Battalion men showing on the AVL's if they would be of any use I can list them?

Regards.

Llew.

There's a James William Russell on the Blaby 1918 AVL, Private 219 resident of Park Road, Blaby. No Battalion shown I'm afraid.

MIC

http://www.nationala...1&resultcount=2

Regards.

Llew.

Almost certainly our man as "S" for "J" is a common transcription error and the middle initial is correct.

Audax is correct too - C/219 a near certain 16/KRRC Service Number and a relatively early volunteer with it. That would reinforce the probability of James Russell being a CLB member. The vast majority by a long way of the early C/xxx service numbers were Church Lads Brigade members or former members.

Please do post the 16/KRRC AVL men - this is likely to be of interest to the CLB Historical Group.

Cheers,

Mark

Hello Mark,

16th Battalion men so far,

S/36667 Pte. Edward Benjamin Charlesworth 52, Wood Street, Earl Shilton

17024 Cpl. Charles John Thomas Springthorpe 16, Church Street, Hinckley

A/201191 Rflmn. Charles Thomas Arthur Simpkin 16, Main Street Upper, Hugglescote

C/1197 L/Cpl. Cyril Stinson Dean 206, North Street Hugglescote

C/360 Sgt. Harry Butler Wright 158, High Street Ibstock

C/225 Sgt. John William Henson 24, Melbourne Road Ibstock

1437 Pte. George Payne Near the Brook Easton Magna

There are 38 KRRC men so far, I've just about finished the 2nd division with two more to do. If anyone would like the complete list then please pm your e mail address and i'll gladly let you have it and the update list as and when. The information is all from the Leicestershire County voting divisions.

Regards.

Llew.

Llew,

Keep up the good work.

Both C/1197 L/Cpl C S Dean and C/225 J W Henson went on to be awarded the Military Medal

Dean in 1918

http://www.london-ga.../10763/page.pdf

Henson in July 1917.

http://www.london-ga...s/6830/page.pdf

Interestingly, Ibstock men in 16/KRRC have been discussed on the GWF previously see

and on rootsweb http://www.docstoc.com/docs/93765630/Fight-the-good-fightdoc---Freepages

There are a few more men with a "C" prefix, but no Battalion shown.

C/1765 L/Cpl. Albert john Huckle 114, Trinity Lane Hinckley

C/12866 Rflmn. George Bradford Griffin Inn Glenfield (12th Btn shown on AVL)

C/12433 Cpl. Charles Sage 27, Newcombe Street Little Bowden (52nd Btn shown on AVL)

Regards.

Llew.

Hi All,

I wonder if this chap features anywhere in your research?

Captain Edward Maurice Gonner, M.C., 16th(CLB)Bn K.R.R.C., Kia 23/4/17, age 22. He was the son of Rev.E.P.Gonner and Mrs Gonner of 12,Yew Tree Rd., Edgbaston, Birmingham and was educated at Dean Close School, Cheltenham and Lincoln College, Oxford. He was one of the original officers of the battalion having been commissioned a 2/Lt into this Bn on 29/3/15.

Robert