Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My trip to Verdun

spconnolly007

Uniform and cap, belonging to General Mangin.

post-79848-0-73942500-1352399812_thumb.j

Wow, I like the Eindekker in the post above. Really nice to see one "as is," unlike the skinned version in the Science Museum.

The museum has a good collection of art. I particularly liked this pencil drawing. The fresh 'poilu' recieving some good advice!!

post-79848-0-43196700-1352400592_thumb.j

On exiting the museum, we make a mad dash for the Tranchee des Baionnettes (Trench of Bayonets) as the night is drawing in.

post-79848-0-04584700-1352401028_thumb.j

Personally, I found it a bit of a disappointment.

post-79848-0-43424200-1352401256_thumb.j

Wow, I like the Eindekker in the post above. Really nice to see one "as is," unlike the skinned version in the Science Museum.

Wow, your still here :w00t:. Thought you'd all got bored and moved on, cheers Nick :thumbsup:

I'm here for the subject matter, so don't panic, I'm sticking around. I've been into WW1 for 31 of my 45 years, so I gotta hang my hat somewhere :w00t:

Hi Sean,

i am fortunate* to have been able to visit Verdun on several occasions over the last 25 years but what your thread has shown me is what is new and what has been developed and improved more recently (e.g Vauqois, Douamont etc).

Thank you for a wonderful thread.

* I am also fortunate in that my wife likes shopping there !

Thankyou for your kind words Steve. The thread will end soon, as the following morning we visited Lieutenant-Colonel Driant's burial place and his command post. I will post these pictures tomorrow. We drove on to Colmar from there, but as the wife was all 'WW1'd out', I had to do the normal touristy stuff for the next couple of days before our return to Blighty.

Regards

Sean.

Before we leave Verdun, our last visit is to the command post of Lieutenant Colonel Emile Driant. Driant, a former soldier until 1905 when he left the army to pursue a career in journalism, was to enter parliament in 1910 and work tirelessly in promoting the nations defence. Aged 60 when war broke out, he immediately applied for a command. Delighted to be offered a position back with 'his Chasseurs', he set about organizing the position near Verdun. Driant firmly believed that the Germans would attack in Lorraine and complained to the military hierachy about the neglect of Verduns defences, as during that year, a steady transfer of men and supplies from Verdun to more active French sectors had taken place. When his complaints fell on deaf ears, he used his political contacts to raise the alarm, to the fury of Joffre. By January 1916, some small improvements were made, but it was too little too late. The following month, on 21st February, the German guns began to pound the French support lines, batteries and OP's on the right bank of the Meuse. By midday, 150 trench mortars joined in to soften up the French front lines. At 4pm, the bombardment lifted as the German infantry moved out. To their suprise, Driant's lines were still intact. Making good progress at first, the Germans captured machine guns and took prisoners, but on reaching R-line approx. 500 metres behind the support line, they found it largely undamaged and strongly defended. By nightfall, after facing such desperate resistance by the French defenders, the Germans either fell back or remained where they were and waited till morning.

post-79848-0-58731500-1352495060_thumb.j

Back at R2, Driant had no clear idea of the situation. The days bombardment had cut communications and filled the air with smoke and dust, making observation almost impossible. During the evening, Driant moved forward to check the situation for himself, and despite many casualties morale was still good. He found that although the Germans had taken parts of the outpost and support lines, most were still in French hands, as was most of the R-line. At 7am the bombardment began again, this time directed at the Chasseurs front line. Again at midday, the German infantry moved out as the bombardment lifted, and whilst desperately calling for French artillery support, which never came, their front lines were overrun. Exhausted, the Chasseurs fought on with bayonet and grenade but were eventually pushed back. As the Germans pushed through the forrest on either side of the hilltop, a small group of men were concentrated around R2. By late afternoon, the Germans had manhandled a 77mm field gun through the woods firing at the command post through open sights. Driant calmly ordered a machine gun to deal with it, but this soon took a direct hit before the gunners could begin to fire. Realizing that that had done all that could be expected of them, Driant ordered his men to withdraw. As they set off across the road, Driant stopped to offer first-aid to a wouded man, and as he stood up, he was hit in the head.

post-79848-0-75146100-1352496925_thumb.j

post-79848-0-20964700-1352497014_thumb.j

post-79848-0-39379400-1352497111_thumb.j

Although originally buried by the Germans further into the woods, this monument marks the spot where Colonel Driant was killed.

post-79848-0-56861700-1352497469_thumb.j

post-79848-0-51488500-1352497561_thumb.j

The monument under which Colonel Driant is buried.

post-79848-0-72761700-1352497750_thumb.j

Thirteen unknown Chasseurs surround his grave.

post-79848-0-63040400-1352497874_thumb.j

Although few of the Chasseurs succeeded in reaching French lines, their determined resistance delayed the German advance and caused them several hundred unexpected casualties. It also set an example of courage and self-sacrifice that was to be repeated on many occasions throughout the ten months of the Battle of Verdun.

post-79848-0-97071500-1352498381_thumb.j

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Christina Holstein on her excellent books, which were invaluable on my trip and a source of inspiration for it. As a few Pal's have mentioned during the thread, it is a 'must see' for anyone interested in the Great War. I hope you enjoyed it.

post-79848-0-42363000-1352499333_thumb.j

Sean, this is without doubt the best battlefield trip that I have read, you have raised the bar with exceptional photos and the story behind them, it is almost like being there. Please tell me you had a Leffe Brune every evening to let the day sink in :hypocrite:

Duncan

Sean, this is without doubt the best battlefield trip that I have read, you have raised the bar with exceptional photos and the story behind them, it is almost like being there. Please tell me you had a Leffe Brune every evening to let the day sink in :hypocrite:

Duncan

Duncan, that is without doubt the best compliment I have ever recieved on the forum :thumbsup: thanks. I would love to oblige, but sadly, Im supping a glass of milk as we speak, how sad :blush:.

Sean.

Milk !!! typical southener :w00t:

Milk !!! typical southener :w00t:

:D In my defence, I was drinking a bottle of this at the end of each day...

post-79848-0-00686700-1352502208_thumb.j

That's a really terrific thread, Sean. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and tell us all about it. You'll have done more to raise the profile of Verdun than any of my books has done. Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad my books were useful on your tour and I hope you'll return for more visits in the future.

By the way, if ever you should want to be really spooked by the atmosphere of the battlefield, try the bottom of the Mort-Homme on the north side. Take the road from Forges to Bethincourt and cross Forges stream by the bridge that's close to the ruins of the old Moulin de Raffécourt. The path runs towards the Mort-Homme between forest blocks 136 and 133. After crossing the stream you have to cross about 500 yds of boggy ground before you get to the hill proper and it is the spookiest and most unpleasant part of the battlefield I know - broken trees, lots of scruffy vegetation, patches of water, moss everywhere and complete silence. I've tried approaching the area by going down from the top of the Mort-Homme and it's just as bad. It makes me want to run.

Christina

Thanks Christina, high praise indeed, although I very much doubt that my thread can make up for what can be gained from your books! I would very much like to return, but for a longer period to take in some of the walks. Verdun is an absolute must for anyone looking to get a real feel for the battlefield, add to that some great regional food and wine.

Kind regards

Sean.

Sean, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, with the exception of your visit to the Ossuary.

Firstly, on my previous visits to Verdun, there were strict rules banning photography inside the Ossuary. Have they relaxed these rules, or were you 'chancing your arm' ?

Secondly, I've always wondered why people would want to take photos through the lower windows. Even the fact that the skulls and bones are displayed makes me uncomfortable. Surely 'Rest in Peace' should include the right of the deceased to not have their remains ogled and photographed by all and sundry ?

Keith

Keith, this earlier thread covered this subject, fore and against; it would be a shame if this fantastic thread was diverted from its historical travelogue;