Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Testament of Youth: BBC Films announces a new dramatisation

NigelS

Hello SJ

Great to get your feedback.!

I think that we can forgive the mythical platform 8 at Charing Cross. Harry Potter fans congregate at Kings Cross station by the sign platform 9 3/4 !

In respect of George Catlin .....Vera didn't adjust much of the historical narrative in 'Testament of Youth'.though called George 'G' in the text They met after corresponding when he wrote Vera a fan letter after reading her novel 'The Dark Tide' according to the 'Testament of Youth' -the book. This seems to have been basically what happened. The movie makes out that George served with Roland Leighton and Vera met him when trying to establish what happened during Roland Leighton's last hours- which is a huge leap of imagination.

Hope that you get to read the book.

With best wishes

Michael Bully

Hi Michael,

The UPP is not the world's largest cinema; it wasn't packed, but then again it was definitely more than two-thirds full. A Sunday evening may not have been the most popular slot and it could be that the Saturday showing was busier.

You have to remember that *ahem* I have not actually read 'Testament of Youth,' nor do I recall watching the 1979 dramatisation.[**]

And now you've picked yourself off the floor:-

1. I thought the film was excellent: hung together well, with a good story arc; pointed up the contrasts between home life and war life and the different ways that young and old and inexperienced and experienced reacted, without labouring said point; I loved the look of it, the cinematography very good especially in some of the big sweeps of landscape and in matching scenery flashbacks to the poetry (and managed to blur out 21st-century Oxford somehow!)

2. I also thought the acting exceptional: partly due to the fact that I didn't know most of the actors. I have an extremely good memory for film and TV casts, and on this occasion was spared the "oh that's Helena Bonham-Carter in another frock" syndrome that usually afflicts me, despite the fact that there are some well-known names in the cast.

3. Changes to the book: well, as you will have gathered, I won't know about those except from what other people on the Forum have said. But then again, same people have also commented that Vera Brittain adjusted the book at George Catlin's request; so if she can change life, I see no reason why a screen-writer can't make (what seem to me to be relatively minor) changes in her memoir.

Nit-picks:

4. Settings: there was a certain amount of subdued laughter about Somerville (not from me; I don't make a noise in films except when I'm meant to!) Would that it had been so medieval and romantic, instead of the Victorian echoing corridors with rooms off them.... Friend and I had an interesting time trying to work out the college afterwards; we came to the conclusion that it was probably Oriel, which was indeed where Somerville decamped to while their college was an extension to the Radcliffe Infirmary. But the interview could very easily have been filmed in the correct college :angry2:

5. Other half got the giggles about the railway and the trains, as only he would (possibly) - when disguising Keighley (Keighley & Worth Valley Railway) as London Charing Cross [sic: should have been just Charing Cross] there was a sign for platform 8 when Charing X has only 6.

But that said - the nitpicks were very minor, and the main thing was that all three of us were picked up and swept away on the story, rather than being constantly dragged back by the nit-picks. I'd go and see it again. More importantly, it may at last drive me to read the book!

sJ

In respect of Geoffrey Thurlow - one problem is that it seems impossible to trace any of his living relatives. Don Farr identified this problem in his book 'None That Go Return -Leighton, Brittain, and Friends and the Lost Generation of 1914-1918' (2010).

By contrast Roland Leighton and Victor Richardson's relatives have been interviewed.

Regards,

Michael Bully

I came to the same conclusion seaJane, that there was a hint in Edward's reaction. Am I getting confused though as I thought Edward had possibly been closest in that manner to Geoffrey Thurlow. Reading Vera's letters letters to Edward gave me the impression that she herself felt real warmth towards Geoffrey. Hope you get to read 'Testament' soon. I think you would enjoy 'Letters from a Lost Generation'. I refer to it a lot.
Eddie

I am still trying to see the film. It seems to be shown at odd lunch times in odd cinemas. I did find that it was to be shown at Theatre Clwyd, but when phoned to book tickets for last Sunday, was told that it was fully booked for the two, five and eight o'clock showings. Does this mean that it is popular? The only place I can find it being shown within a reasonable distance is over in Mold on March 17th, but that is a ten o'clock showing, advertised as a mother and baby showing. Is this really the sort of film Mums might want to take babies to see?

I am getting resigned to the thought of seeing it either on the BBC or when it comes out on DVD.

Bruce

It's probably of no use to you given your location, but I may have a chance to see it in Newport next month.

It's showing in the Riverfront Theatre, Newport on Monday 13th, Tuesday 14th and Wednesday 15th April. The performances on all three days are at 7.45pm, with a matinee on the last day at 1.00pm.

The matinee, though, is one of their "Bring Baby" events, and this is what they say about how they're organised:

BRING BABY CINEMA

A relaxed cinema screening for adults and their babies, where there is no need to worry about your little-un making a noise! It gives parents and carers the opportunity to watch current cinema releases in a sociable setting with other adults and their babies.

The lights are not fully dimmed, there are tables for baby changing, mats are down for crawling and a general friendly atmosphere where parents can chat while enjoying the film.

These screenings are recommended for adults with babies under one year old.

All films will be 12A or lower. 12A films can be attended by any child under the age of 12, but the responsibility lies with the accompanying adult. (My itallics)

Adults attending without a baby need to be aware that the viewing experience could be affected with brighter lights and more noise than expected in a normal showing. All films that have a Bring Baby showing are also available at other times without these possible distractions.

Necessary facilities such as baby changing and buggy parking are catered for.

Tickets for Bring Baby screenings are 4.50 (babies come for free!)

They sound very well worth avoiding!

Adults attending without a baby need to be aware that the viewing experience could be affected with brighter lights and more noise than expected in a normal showing.

Perish the thought. Going to watch Testament of Youth without a baby...

Brilliant website. Thank you for the info Michael.

"It's probably of no use to you given your location, but I may have a chance to see it in Newport next month"

No, that's not going to work either, as I now have to be somewhere else on the date on which I was thinking of going to see it ... ah, well, maybe another time, on DVD or TV!

Treated myself to Mark Bostridge's ' Vera Brittain and the First World War The Story of Testament of Youth' , published in December 2014.

A lot of the book seems to draws on work that the author has already published such as his 1995 biography of Vera Brittain, ( co-written with Paul Berry) . Mark Bostridge's piece 'Ipplepen 269: The Tragic Fate of Edward Brittain' is revised and included . The original was in an anthology edited by Mark Bostridge's 'Lives for Sale' , from 2005.

Newer material includes 'From Book To Film' 1934-2014 , and a gazette of places associated with Vera Brittain and 'Testament of Youth.

Might attempt a review at some point. Interesting to hear what other pals think of this book. Has been criticised for its lack of new material.

Regards

Michael Bully

If the 1995 book is out of print then a reprint of the material is to be welcomed, especially as 1995's babies have just arrived at university... but I shall be interested to hear what you think.

In 1935 Vera's father committed suicide. She must have been grief-stricken, first by the by the death of Winifred Holtby and then her father.

Yes Vera counted 1935 as the worst year of her life since the Great War. Her father was prone to depression and grieved for Edward's loss for the rest of his life. Regards

In 1935 Vera's father committed suicide. She must have been grief-stricken, first by the by the death of Winifred Holtby and then her father.

• Admin

Reading the Amazon reviews, I don't think it would be worth spending £15 of my hard earned cash on the latest offering from Mark Bostridge

Hello SJ, I am not sure if the 1995 'Vera Brittain- A Life' is in print, but copies on Amazon UK start at £0.01. On reflection the biography places 'Testament of Youth ' in a far greater context, and Paul Berry & Mark Bostridge demonstrated quite a knowledge of other writers' lives and work . This is noticeably missing from Vera Brittain and the First World War The Story of Testament of Youth' !

Regards as always

Michael Bully

If the 1995 book is out of print then a reprint of the material is to be welcomed, especially as 1995's babies have just arrived at university... but I shall be interested to hear what you think.

• 4 weeks later...

BRING BABY CINEMA

A relaxed cinema screening for adults and their babies, where there is no need to worry about your little-un making a noise! It gives parents and carers the opportunity to watch current cinema releases in a sociable setting with other adults and their babies.

The lights are not fully dimmed, there are tables for baby changing, mats are down for crawling and a general friendly atmosphere where parents can chat while enjoying the film.

These screenings are recommended for adults with babies under one year old.All films will be 12A or lower. 12A films can be attended by any child under the age of 12, but the responsibility lies with the accompanying adult. (My itallics)

Adults attending without a baby need to be aware that the viewing experience could be affected with brighter lights and more noise than expected in a normal showing. All films that have a Bring Baby showing are also available at other times without these possible distractions.

Necessary facilities such as baby changing and buggy parking are catered for.Tickets for Bring Baby screenings are 4.50 (babies come for free!)

They sound very well worth avoiding!

A cinema has ceased its screening of films for mothers with very young babies because the patrons caused too much bother. Not the babies, but the appalling “my child first” middle-class mums. The Rex cinema in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, had held special performances for the mums but has given up the ghost on account of “whingeing, bitching and snitching”. Oh, and the vast 4x4 pushchairs. And some people complaining the 15-certificate films were not suitable for six-week-old babies. Thereby destroying the point of the whole operation, which was to make the mums feel they were adults again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks sJ. Bournemouth on 13th May. Good one.

• 2 weeks later...

"How fortunate we were who still had hope I could not then realise; I could not know how soon the time would come when we should have no more hope, and yet be unable to die".

Vera Brittain - Testament of Youth

For those of you with very deep pockets, a copy of the first edition of Testament of Youth, complete with dust jacket & wrap-around band has just gone on sale on ABE. I must say it's the first such copy I've seen for more than 20 years & buying it will leave you with £50 change from your £4,000!

I think I will stick to my1944 jacketed reprint, which cost me the vast sum of at least £7.

I think I will stick to my1944 jacketed reprint, which cost me the vast sum of at least £7.

I was lucky enough to pick up a jacketed 1st in Camilla's bookshop, then in Brighton, some 30 years ago for £3.50, but I did have to put the jacket back together!

• Admin

I will stick to my Virago edition from 1984 that is falling apart, an unjacketed 3rd edition from Oxfam which cost 99p and a paperback more recent Virago edition also from Oxfam which cost £1.99

I was lucky enough to pick up a jacketed 1st in Camilla's bookshop, then in Brighton, some 30 years ago for £3.50, but I did have to put the jacket back together!

My heart bleeds for you :D

Looking at Vera Brittain Facebook page

Link to Simon Jones' blog post about the death of Edward Brittain . Great piece of research.

http://simonjoneshistorian.com/2015/05/07/where-and-how-did-edward-brittain-die/

There has also been a mention of USA release of 'Testament of Youth' -the movie on 5th June 2015.: Can't find been much confirmation of this apart from this link suggesting that the release will be limited.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441953/releaseinfo

Regards

Michael Bully

Thanks Michael, very interesting. I am booked in to see the film, for the second time, at 11 am at the Empire Cinema, Poole Tower Park tomorrow.

Ah yes I remember that you're due to see the movie from your earlier posts. Looking forward to reading what you think. Also curious to know what the turnout is like ! Regards

Thanks Michael, very interesting. I am booked in to see the film, for the second time, at 11 am at the Empire Cinema, Poole Tower Park tomorrow.