Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Testament of Youth: BBC Films announces a new dramatisation

NigelS

Ah yes I remember that you're due to see the movie from your earlier posts. Looking forward to reading what you think. Also curious to know what the turnout is like ! Regards

About 60 people Michael. Not bad for a Wednesday morning. The first time I watched it with Mrs Ghazala I was detached and unemotional. This time sat up on the back row on my own there were tears streaming down my cheeks. The link to the website you put up which I read late last night must have had an effect. It is on iTunes for purchase. Think I will download it to my iPad.

Place to look for showings of the film: http://lionsgatetickets.co.uk/gb/testament-of-youth/

This link doesn't seem to work for me - all I get is the "blue bar" moving very slowly and then stopping!

Can someone who does have access tell me when / if the film is going to be shown in the Newport / Cardiff area, please? I've looked at the Odeon web site and found a 14.00 showing in Cardiff, but there's no date attached to it (!). This leads me to think that this isn't up to date, so it isn't what I want. If you can help, please post something here or PM me.

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback. Ultimately that is the achievement of 'Testament of Youth' , a hundred years later after the Great War and over eighty years after the book was published, Vera Brittain's account of her life and the losses that she incurred still move people. As I live near Victor Richardson's grave and try and visit most weeks, still feel humbled by how much that generation had to go through at such a young age.

Glad that you appreciate the link to Simon Jones' blog post about Edward Brittain. In the movie I thought that the scene where the telegraph boy has to make the journey up to the large house in the Derbyshire countryside to deliver the news that Edward as killed in action was quite a thoughtful bit of poetic licence. In reality Vera's parents had relocated to a flat in London by then. Vera was staying with her father at the parents's home , her mother was away from home seeking medical treatment. when they received news of Edward's death.

Regards

About 60 people Michael. Not bad for a Wednesday morning. The first time I watched it with Mrs Ghazala I was detached and unemotional. This time sat up on the back row on my own there were tears streaming down my cheeks. The link to the website you put up which I read late last night must have had an effect. It is on iTunes for purchase. Think I will download it to my iPad.

Thanks for the feedback. Ultimately that is the achievement of 'Testament of Youth' , a hundred years later after the Great War and over eighty years after the book was published, Vera Brittain's account of her life and the losses that she incurred still move people. As I live near Victor Richardson's grave and try and visit most weeks, still feel humbled by how much that generation had to go through at such a young age.

Glad that you appreciate the link to Simon Jones' blog post about Edward Brittain. In the movie I thought that the scene where the telegraph boy has to make the journey up to the large house in the Derbyshire countryside to deliver the news that Edward as killed in action was quite a thoughtful bit of poetic licence. In reality Vera's parents had relocated to a flat in London by then. Vera was staying with her father at the parents's home , her mother was away from home seeking medical treatment. when they received news of Edward's death.

Regards

She wrote that when the telegram came notifying Edward's death she was struck by the deep blue of the delphiniums in a vase on a table. I have loved those flowers ever since.

There will be the annual visit to Victor Richardson's grave on the anniversary of his death, Tuesday 9th June, at Hove Old Cemetery. Victor's closest surviving relative supports this.

Have usually gone there at 11.00 but may make the time later as one or two people are coming some distance from Hove .

Please message me if interested.

Regards

• Admin

Would love to Michael but I will be in France. I will be visiting the Chattri in late June but I don't think I can get to Hove on that day.

Michelle

This link doesn't seem to work for me - all I get is the "blue bar" moving very slowly and then stopping!

Can someone who does have access tell me when / if the film is going to be shown in the Newport / Cardiff area, please? I've looked at the Odeon web site and found a 14.00 showing in Cardiff, but there's no date attached to it (!). This leads me to think that this isn't up to date, so it isn't what I want. If you can help, please post something here or PM me.

Thank you.

Hmmm .... I've just tried it again, and I get this response:

"SHOWTIMES COMING HERE SOON

We searched Cardiff for you, and there aren't any showtimes there yet. Try another location."

So, I've tried Newport, Bristol, Swansea, but with no luck ... so I guess that it's now no longer on cinema release!

• Admin

I saw the DVD in Sainsburys today for £10. I didn't buy it

Michelle

I saw the DVD in Sainsburys today for £10. I didn't buy it

Michelle

£13.99 to download it from iTunes or £4.99 to rent it.

There will be the annual visit to Victor Richardson's grave on the anniversary of his death, Tuesday 9th June, at Hove Old Cemetery. Victor's closest surviving relative supports this.

Have usually gone there at 11.00 but may make the time later as one or two people are coming some distance from Hove .

Please message me if interested.

Regards

Have you decided on a time yet Michael?

Mandy

Hello Mandy ! All a bit up in the air ! I have the day off work so can make morning or afternoon. A couple of people may want to come down from further away so later morning might be better. But with a threatened train strike that day, not sure what will happen.

If you have any preference for time, please let me know.

With best wishes

Michael Bully

Have you decided on a time yet Michael?

Mandy

Thanks SJ !

Mandy have messaged you. Anyone who else who wants meet up for it, we will meet up a few minutes before 11 am Tuesday 9th June at the gates of the Old Cemetery in Hove, and go to the grave then.

I have sent you a PM Michael.

Mandy

Well, this reviewer didn't mince words:

http://www.avclub.com/review/famous-wartime-memoir-testament-youth-gets-boring--220193

My initial enthusiasm waned after some of your reviews because I know the changes made to compress the material would irk me. I am such a fan of the book and I thought the 1970s miniseries was an excellent treatment. Still, I will probably get the DVD once it appears and the price drops!

Thanks for the link Rose. Yes I think that 1970's TV adaptation of 'Testament of Youth' was a tough act to follow. Especially as the TV series was longer, so could include more of the book.

With regard to the movie, I think that the changing of the actual biographical narrative of Vera's book seemed to have irked more than the amount that was left out .

There is a more positive review in The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/05/movies/review-testament-of-youth-recalls-the-great-war-with-little-nostalgia.html

Went to Victor Richardson's grave today on the anniversary of his death with fellow GWF member Mandy Hall along with a pal from the Vera Brittain Facebook group.

Regards

Well, this reviewer didn't mince words:

http://www.avclub.com/review/famous-wartime-memoir-testament-youth-gets-boring--220193

My initial enthusiasm waned after some of your reviews because I know the changes made to compress the material would irk me. I am such a fan of the book and I thought the 1970s miniseries was an excellent treatment. Still, I will probably get the DVD once it appears and the price drops!

In memory of Edward Harold Brittain MC, killed in action 15th June 1918, Asiago. Never forgotten by his sister Vera.

post-100478-0-64441000-1434361361_thumb.

:poppy::poppy:

A thoughtful design for the US edition.

post-100478-0-83626700-1434405761_thumb.

• 4 months later...

The local inhabitants of Louvencourt came out to honour Roland Leighton yesterday.

post-100478-0-17447100-1447292652_thumb.

And, they have named a road in their village after him...

post-100478-0-30286100-1447292777_thumb.

Excellent news -thanks for posting. I will send you a PM....would like to report back on this for the Vera Brittain Facebook group.

Excellent news -thanks for posting. I will send you a PM....would like to report back on this for the Vera Brittain Facebook group.

I have replied to you Michael...

Eddie