Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAP BADGES AND SHOULDER TITLES in one thread

Muerrisch

OK, it works.

I have a very old collection of shoulder titles [collected c. 1975] of all the British Army Line regular infantry as they were in August 1914. I also had a good number of cap badges ditto, and have recently completed the set.

One does not see a handy reference with them paired by regiments, and I have done this on temporary cards, with scale attached.

The arrangement is rather arbitrary ...... light Bobs first [two grandfathers KRRC!], then approx. south to north in chunks. I can add Foot Guards if there is demand.

If anyone out there wants to add, sticking to this theme of S/T with cap badge, please wait until the second card of Scottish, which will be the last, and then add.

Clearly, members could add: the 1916 economy strikes, the new S/Ts brought into use during the war [several fusiliers], the Cavalry, the Pals, the TF such as Cambridgeshires, .............

NOW OPEN FOR ADDITIONAL ITEMS IF YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE

post-894-0-74596300-1330954363.jpg

G reat stuff, but please look at King's and King's Own - transposed!

Did I miss Border and Loyal NL?

D

Border and Loyal N Lan are indeed there, and, yes, I was in too much of a hurry and will rectify the transposition. Thank you, its so obvious, one only needs to read the words, it is spellt out!

Nice collection - envious.

I sold some medals recently to pay for the shortfalls.

Not in any sort of bovver with 'erindoors!

Yet

Hi GRUMPY

Great collection of cap badges with the shoulder titles :thumbsup: , I collected, cap badges but only have two pairs of shoulder titles WELSH and WELCH, in fact, I have another pair of WELSH on my soldier.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Brilliant collection Grumpy. Can you post a message describing what materials and process you use to mount and display your collection.

Trying to decide how best to display the badges I have.

cheer VR

Gents,

I just picked up the following 6 badges. I've identifeid the rifle and lewis qualification badges, the Newfoundland shoulder title, and the Gordons hat badge... but I have no clue what the cloth insignia is ? Resemmbles a male symbol ? Thoughts ?

Also, the Newfoundland badge I intend to keep, but if anyone is interested in buying the others please PM me an offer (no low ball offers please). The 2 piece Lewis badge with back plate is a beauty.

cheers

VR

post-36226-0-36489400-1330965513.jpg

Brilliant collection Grumpy. Can you post a message describing what materials and process you use to mount and display your collection.

Trying to decide how best to display the badges I have.

cheer VR

It is very crude for the time being. Dark blue or black card [not mounting board], press title hard enough to mark, make slits with craft knife, mount title, secure with the thinnest garden plastic coated wire. Cap badges with sliders ..... work out top end position, cut slit, mount, secure from wobbling at rear with sellotape.

Placed in albums back to back in extra-strong gussetted A4 punched document holders, from good stationers.

Put in large 4-ringed ring binders.

Step back, to polite applause.

My Guards Heavy Metal is a bit more complicated ........

Good display. Do you have a date for when the Royal Berkshires used that type of badge backing? I think it may be post 1930. Regards, Paul.

A fine collection to be proud of.

I seek your wise council.... I have recently purchased a few WW1 Royal Fusilier items including cap badge, collar badges, buttons. Included are two brass shoulder titles with letters R F however the letters on both are separated by the bursting grenade (same as cap badge) . The makers name - J R Gaunt is on the rear.

Is it possible to date this as the ones I have previously seen only have the letters R F.

Tony

Great collection but should'nt the Dublin Fusiliers S/T be RDF?

My Westlake says DF changed to RDF in 1903, and where possible I have used an "old" title, but young enough to be worn by an old contemptible. Either DF or RDF would be OK, in fact I have both.

A fine collection to be proud of.

I seek your wise council.... I have recently purchased a few WW1 Royal Fusilier items including cap badge, collar badges, buttons. Included are two brass shoulder titles with letters R F however the letters on both are separated by the bursting grenade (same as cap badge) . The makers name - J R Gaunt is on the rear.

Is it possible to date this as the ones I have previously seen only have the letters R F.

Tony

Westlake says "by the end of the Great War" your version was in issue. So, not OK for 1914, but OK for later. I am no expert, I rely on Mr W.!

Good display. Do you have a date for when the Royal Berkshires used that type of badge backing? I think it may be post 1930. Regards, Paul.

Yes, I think it is anomalous, good spot.

And I meant to ask - how long did it take you to compile the full set?

Only a matter of 40 years or so ...... it got a bit pricey towards the end.

I only use very reputable dealers.

Great collection but should'nt the Dublin Fusiliers S/T be RDF?

Yes, it should be, but it's the only one that Grumpy has got wrong for circa 1914, so he should be forgiven. DF was replaced by RDF in 1903, around the same time that the regiment adopted a green and white plume in its fur cap.