Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Observations of Bayonets

shippingsteel

Whats the markings above the ER CROWN? Never seen them before :blush:

Looks to be made from a P1888 blade (01 Date)

Now you're starting to look at it.! It is indeed a conversion from an original P1888 bayonet, fancy that - a P1903 with an April '01 date.! :D

The marking placed above the crown is the inspection mark from the time of the conversion, and is actually Crown over J4 over E.

I just dragged it out for a quick check and the markings are a lot more clear in the flesh, the camera that took that shot wasn't the best.

Anyway well done Aleck - your on the money now.! Hows about you post up a photo from your collection for us to have a look at.?? :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

S>S,

I Will have to have a good look at my small collection, see if anything stands & get back to you as I mainly collect by variations rather than makers or markings, its only lately due to these posts that I have started to look at the finer details.

Cheers,

Aleck

Beginning to wish that I had kept the Vickers now tho as the P13s are now missing the last link thus incomplete :doh::(

Here is a 1 with strange markings, took me ages to figure them out (at least I think I figured them correctly).Its the 2nd from bottom in the group pic, Any ideas?

DSCN4978.jpg

DSCN4979.jpg

DSCN4976.jpg

Are you just trying to make me and others jealous?... Nice collection!!! I have avoided being drawn into this thred as I am still at beginner stage... But it's time for a break from following the cricket... OK, so no crown or model mark, and it's dated 11/02, and so technically an 1888? Is there a bend mark? Why is the pommel different from the others? No idea on the pommel marks though as its time to get back to India v. England... Don't worry, S>S will be online soon!

Trajan

Trajan,

you are correct mate it is a P1903 with a P1888 blade like S>S bayonet but do you notice anything about the finish? perhaps this pic will help with its service history & markings :thumbsup:

DSCN4991.jpg

Sawdoc, is this a Durham area find? Beginning to wish I hadn't left after graduating there! OK, sandblasted in refurbishing? Enfield mark on top. Broad arrow mark is not UK? No idea about the inspection marks! Standing ready to be corrected on all counts...

Trajan

Trajan,

unfortunately not found in Durham, alas have to trawl the internet for any bargains these days.

Will swap locations with you if you want as its p***ing it down over here right now (as normal), although cant think of any nicer place than Durham city on a nice summers day with a cold pint in your hand.

Correct its enfield made, markings on ricasso are Indian & finish is also typically Indian.

Bearing that in mind it is now time to search for the pommel markings ( which is also marked R.F.I. 98 on the end).

Cheers,

Aleck

Trajan,

unfortunately not found in Durham, alas have to trawl the internet for any bargains these days.

Will swap locations with you if you want as its p***ing it down over here right now (as normal), although cant think of any nicer place than Durham city on a nice summers day with a cold pint in your hand.Correct its enfield made, markings on ricasso are Indian & finish is also typically Indian. Bearing that in mind it is now time to search for the pommel markings ( which is also marked R.F.I. 98 on the end). Cheers,

Aleck

Thinking on this before S>S gets in. RFI is Rifle Factory India. BB&C... Bombay...??? No. lost on that one!

Trajan

BTW, Blooming hot here at 35 degrees but at least not humid and so bearable... I do miss Durham - but only on Saturday's and Sunday's, whatever the weather, in a certain place on new Elvet, close to the corner... Check for me if you will if my pewter half-pint tankard with the dragon on it is still on the shlef above the bar after all these years!

Trajan,

nearly right mate, depending on whos definition you take its either Royal Factory Ishapore or Rifle Factory Ishapore.

You are also along the right lines wth Bombay being the 1st of the BB&CIR marking.

Will certainly look for your tankard the next time I go to Durham city but like you say it has to be on a weekend & more importantly for me it has to be nice weather. 35 degrees, like the warm weather but reckon that would be too much for me, looks like I will be sticking to the lovely but damp north east of England.

Aleck

Trajan,

nearly right mate, depending on whos definition you take its either Royal Factory Ishapore or Rifle Factory Ishapore.

You are also along the right lines wth Bombay being the 1st of the BB&CIR marking.

Will certainly look for your tankard the next time I go to Durham city but like you say it has to be on a weekend & more importantly for me it has to be nice weather. 35 degrees, like the warm weather but reckon that would be too much for me, looks like I will be sticking to the lovely but damp north east of England.

Aleck

OK. I CHEATED - Bombay, Baroda, and Central India Railway!!!

Trajan

PS: 35 or even 40 degrees aint bad when its low humidity as in Ankara... Just back from istanbul where 35 dgrees and high humidity was literally a nightmare! Even minus 10 or more here in the winter is perfectly bearable thanks to the dry climate!

Correct :thumbsup:

Its a lot easier to find out now as it comes straight up in a google search but when I 1st got the bayonet a few years ago had to search through pages before I could find it.

Next lot of P1888 markings- 2.P.S.R.F.

DSCN4805-1.jpg

DSCN4804-1.jpg

I usually deal with Latin military inscriptions, e.g. C II BR = cohors II Breucorum/Brittannorum, depending on where the inscrption comes from. So I'll stick my neck out - 2nd something, something Royal Fusiliers?

Public Schools?

Trajan,

thats about all that I can figure on these markings also :thumbsup: hoping someone on here can help me out on this one mate :blush:

Could be auchon, your guess is as good as mine.

Have thought of Princess something, Prince something, port something but can not think of what that something could be :wacko:

Aleck

Want to give us a better clue? I.e., is this a UK issue bayonet - not an India or elswhere issue? Can see why you think a 'Prince/ss' which is reasonable, and can see the possibility of 'Public schools' also, but does the 2 before the P indicate this is a 2nd battalion issue?

Markings look to be UK, originally dated /95, X- bend, broad arrow WD, no makers name & reckon the 2 is for 2nd.

Camera battery on charging now so will get pics of ricasso later, also looks to have some worn markings on crossguard but too worn to make out,

Cheers,

Aleck

Wow Aleck, you'd be hard pressed to find 2 more obscure unit markings.! And I thought some of my markings were unusual.! :o

Don't feel too bad Trajan, nobody can be expected to know these ones. However the first unit mark did appear in one of my references.

The second unit mark doesn't show up anywhere and I've had a good look. I'm leaning towards colonial though - is it stamped with SOS mark.?

The only suggestions that I've got are that P.S. = Public School and that R.F. = Reserve Forces but I haven't found anything that really matches.!

Cheers, S>S

S>S,

no sold out of services marks or foriegn government marks that I can see on the bayonet.

Bloody marking has me stumped, had considered resrerve force also thats where the port part of the thinking came in ie. port suez, port said etc. & canadians had a few prince/ss regiment but can not find any references either.

Trajan has been great also, good to bounce theories off other collectors,

Cheers chaps,

Aleck

Here is another to consider-

DSCN4558.jpg

DSCN4557.jpg

Tip- bear in mind that I bought it for what it is & was over priced but got it for far less.

Well they're not getting any easier - I think you may be starting to really work into this role Aleck, are we having fun yet.! :D

I'm not sure what to make of this next one. Blade and markings suggest a nice wartime finish Sanderson made in 1916.

Tang looks to be OK and pommel appears to match with a 1916 Sanderson, so that just leaves the quillon out of place.

A 1916 Sanderson should not have the hook quillon so its either been replaced with one, or had some major surgery.

It looks to me as though it may have had the hook welded into place onto the existing standard quillon, but I may be wrong.

You can see what appears to be some rough handiwork and filing around about that area, so I'm thinking that may be it.

Anyway its a good discussion piece - probably the classic forgery - but I don't think I'll be offering you $1500 for it just yet ... :whistle:

Cheers, S>S

S>S,

totally correct mate :thumbsup: it is in fact an original Sanderson P1907 faked up with the addition of the quillion, sellers was wanting crazy money until I pointed out that it was an obvious fake & had spoiled a perfectly good bayonet.

But as I was thinking of going into the re-enactment stuff at the time, I decided to take it off his hands at a normal P1907 price, rather than put a $1500 bayonet on a deactivated rifle to run around the countryside in all types of weather. Never got round to re-enacting but it makes a nice conversation piece anyway.

Really enjoying this thread, will have to take a closer look at my bayonets for more :D

Yeah that quillon bayonet would be absolutely perfect for the reenactor on a budget - waste of a nice NCH example though. :glare:

Anyway here's another photo to mix it up a little. Can anyone give me the nationality, model and type of this bayonet.?

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-61327100-1312275950.jpg

I've no doubt I'm missing something here, but I think its a German 98/05 with high ears and from what I can see no flashguard (so 1915 or before)?

I've no doubt I'm missing something here, but I think its a German 98/05 with high ears and from what I can see no flashguard (so 1915 or before)?

Got it in one - spot on in fact - I hope you've got your camera working "Jonno" cause its your turn to post a pic now.! :w00t:

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-54720000-1312277474.jpg