Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Observations of Bayonets

shippingsteel

Cheers S>S, I like my brit/colonial blades, glad they could be put to a good use.

Only thing that I can think is that the siting of clearing hole seems central on the pommel rather than closer to the top?

2N still got me stumped tho?

Cheers,

Aleck

P.S. Cheers for the info Trajan, will shoot you a PM later mate.

"Sometimes its the little things we miss that are the most obvious" .... what if I tell you its not the bayonet thats unusual.! :innocent:

Cheers, S>S

is it the round stud with the V notch locket?

is it the round stud with the V notch locket?

Yes, the scabbard has a round stud with 'figured' locket (read shaped locket). More information required.! :rolleyes:

Cheers, S>S

I have no further info, I just compared it to a few of mine, trained observer me :whistle:

I have no further info, I just compared it to a few of mine, trained observer me :whistle:

Yeah good one Mick.! So you haven't actually spent time reading those bayonet books that you have up for sale .... :D

Cheers, S>S

No rivets on the locket?

Trajan

Only the 2 books and I think I am safe in saying neither mention studs or lockets. I am always doubtful that scabbards end up with the bayonet they started life with, I have swapped so many and seen them swapped, even asked for a better scabbard when I have bought a bayonet in the past.

No rivets on the locket?

Yes, true again, no rivets present ... this is a particularly unusual scabbard ... but why.? :rolleyes:

And I can definitely guarantee that this scabbard was never originally issued with that bayonet (1918 vintage)

Cheers, S>S

Just a guess is it a post war Australian scabbard?

And another guess - no screw? I'm in the univ and so can't look at mine to compare!

Trajan

Yes, all true on both counts - you guys are getting extra points for effort - but still haven't hit the nail on the head.! :P

PS. Hang on Trajan, P1907 scabbards don't ever have a screw - you must be thinking German or something else perhaps ...

Cheers, S>S

Refurbished WW1 scabbard?

PS. Hang on Trajan, P1907 scabbards don't ever have a screw - you must be thinking German or something else perhaps ... Cheers, S>S

Well, just a guess... I only have two P1907's and both are at home so wasn't sure!

Trajan

Ok only comparison is a late, 1944 british scabbard, pressed rather than riveted.

OK so I've found a suitable pic to do up a comparison - original example scabbard to the left, with WW2 scabbard to the right.

So apart from all those things mentioned so far, is there anything else that looks out of place here .... time is almost up.! :blush:

PS. Its worth finding the difference you know - these special scabbards can be worth more alone than the price of a standard set.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-69175700-1313144955.jpgpost-52604-0-37813600-1313144970.jpg

OK, not having anything to compare the mystery one with your photos help a bit (thanks!) - possibly! So now down to the prominent mushroom head on the frog stud and/or the greenish tinge to the locket (which I had thought about earlier, then dismissed as a photo oddity, but I am now grasping at straws!)

Cm'on, the answer must be blindingly obvious... But???!!!

Trajan

Lucky I don't have anything else to do except clean the cooker.

Well, technically I am completing a paper on the Roman camel corps prior to the return of the great unwashed (aka, students)... And when writer's block intervenes it's nice to get into another subject!

Trajan

Smaller knob?

Finally ... yes some modifications to the standard (teardrop stud) manufacture were approved during the war but it appears they didn't take off in Britain.?

These scabbards with the significantly smaller circular stud locket were then reportedly first made at the Lithgow factory in Australia during the early 1920's.

They can be found with both the 'figured' or shaped locket and the plainer straight cut locket. Apparently the 'figured' locket type could even be as early as 1919.

They are commonly overlooked as being the later WW2 era style scabbard with the large round stud, but no these examples are considered to be quite scarce.

Just something different ... and specially unique amongst scabbards. I bought the bayonet shown in the photo mainly to acquire the scabbard. I have a couple now.

Cheers, S>S

That was a good test, I will check my studs with care.

Finally ... yes some modifications to the standard (teardrop stud) manufacture were approved during the war but it appears they didn't take off in Britain.?

These scabbards with the significantly smaller circular stud locket were then reportedly first made at the Lithgow factory in Australia during the early 1920's.

They can be found with both the 'figured' or shaped locket and the plainer straight cut locket. Apparently the 'figured' locket type could even be as early as 1919.

They are commonly overlooked as being the later WW2 era style scabbard with the large round stud, but no these examples are considered to be quite scarce.

Just something different ... and specially unique amongst scabbards. I bought the bayonet shown in the photo principally to acquire the scabbard. I have a couple now.

Cheers, S>S

OK, S>S and some others will know this - but for those who don't, with Skennerton to hand (pp. 195), on 19th November 1915, for economic reasons, circular frog studs were approved as were square-ended lockets and chapes - 'These relaxations in standards were offered as alternatives to the contractors, and therefore were not necessarily all embodied in manufacture from that point in time'.

But to help all of us, S>S, what is the diameter of the frog stud on your rare little beauty? Can't wait to compare it with the one I have at home!

Trajan

What is the diameter of the frog stud on your rare little beauty? Can't wait to compare it with the one I have at home!

Trajan, I measured a couple of those small studs and the diameter is a nominal 15.5 millimetres.

While I'm here I will put up another instalment to get you all pondering again.! So which bayonet is this.?

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-31749900-1313230999.jpgpost-52604-0-70092600-1313231017.jpg