Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone know what this is?

Chris Boonzaier

I could tell by the text in the 1st post it was a joke, the attitude, reference to weed. Plus, Chris has been here what, 8 years, if it was someone with 1 post Id be worried. Anyone who is on here for a while should know... never play with ordnance, its said quite a lot.

Gaz

Everyone here will count the days until your return.

I can see there is not enough room in your mom's basement for both our egos so I shall concede you the field. :hypocrite:

I can see there is not enough room in your mom's basement for both our egos so I shall concede you the field. :hypocrite:

That's funny coming someone who made a Grand Flouncing Exit with a Pithy Parting Shot, delivering a melodramatic pledge to stay away for a whole year because he found the atmosphere here so rod-up-the-bum humorless, and then--surprise!--he's back in less than a day.

Sort of undercuts anything you say, doesn't it?

That's funny coming someone who made a Grand Flouncing Exit with a Pithy Parting Shot, delivering a melodramatic pledge to stay away for a whole year because he found the atmosphere here so rod-up-the-bum humorless, and then--surprise!--he's back in less than a day.

Now let me see, is this old fashion banter or something else?

You misquote me. I said,"or so." :whistle: Its like watching a train wreck. You want to turn your eyes but you can't. (I hope no one here was in a train wreck and if you were I just want to say I am not making a joke about them so no need to get offended.)

Now let me see, is this old fashion banter or something else?

It's something else. It's a 1975 Chrysler Corboda with a 400 cubic-inch, four-barrel V-8 engine.

It's something else. It's a 1975 Chrysler Corboda with a 400 cubic-inch, four-barrel V-8 engine.

That sounds cool see you at the drag race

Just friendly banter, all in good fun. :D

Glad to hear it I say all for one and one for all

I bet Mr Stokes didn't imagine his mortar would cause this sort of damage!

I bet Mr Stokes didn't imagine his mortar would cause this sort of damage!

:thumbsup:

I was actually thinking about this thread over breakfast and I think it would not be a bad idea to start a thread on common things you can find on a battlefield today that look harmless to the untrained eye but could conceivably kill you. To be honest, before this thread I had never seen a mortar like this before and if I had seen one I would not have recognized it. It would not have picked it up either but then that is me...plenty of people would. On Saturday I saw a show on the fields of France and they showed some freshly ploughed-up cartridge clips and detonators, and the detonators at first blush looked innocuous enough to the untrained eye.

What do folks think? Unless of course there is some resource like this already, and if so, I would love to know about it.

-Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

What do folks think? Unless of course there is some resource like this already, and if so, I would love to know about it.

-Daniel

Considering how many NGOs have gone into places lousy with unexploded ordnance, there's plenty of guides written for civilians on the 'web.

Here's three primers -

http://www.public.navy.mil/navsafecen/Documents/ashore/explosives_Docs/UXO.pdf

http://maic.jmu.edu/ordata/help.asp?hid=16

http://uxoinfo.com/blogcfc/client/enclosures/Types_of_UXO.pdf

Unless of course you were all officers, then maybe I understand :-)

Hey now! Bring those broad brushes of yours over to my place, I need to paint the brickwork this summer.

FTR, I had a sick sense of humor before the 122mm landed on the IA SF unit next to us. Wonder if they ever found the pink plastic flamingos left tied up with commo wire in that palm tree?