Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone know what this is?

Chris Boonzaier

Our neighbours son was playing on the fence with this, I was not sure what it was.

As I thought it may be dangerous, I told him to go play elsewhere with it. It it is something good, I may go offer him some weed for it. If it is dangerous, I dont really like him anyway. So whatever happens, it is a win-win situation for me.

Anyone know if they are worth having in the collection?

post-748-0-17027100-1308937081.jpg

post-748-0-66385300-1308937090.jpg

post-748-0-98652300-1308937126.jpg

It is a Stokes mortar bomb. I would strongly recommend getting it checked out by a competent authority. Please, please, do not believe anyone who tells you it is "safe" on the basis of a photograph.

TR

As Terry said it is a 2in Stokes Mortar and by the colour scheme is is a Gas round, it appears that the safety devices are in position. DO NOT MOVE IT, DON'T TOUCH IT, CALL THE POLICE.

John

It is a Stokes mortar bomb. I would strongly recommend getting it checked out by a competent authority.

Thanks Terry,

however, I do believe the only way that todays youth learn anything is by learning from their own mistakes.

How far should I keep from the little bogger to keep a safe distance? John says it may be gas, I suppose keeping downwind with some urine soaked socks should be enough?

Thanks

Chris

It looks horribly intact, Terry is spot on, leave it and call the chaps who know what to do!

Rob

Chris

I have a view as to the calibre of the round and its content but it would be wrong to state it on here. John and I are at least in agreement that it needs expert attention. Just put it in a place where it cannot be tampered with and call the appropriate authorities.

TR

At the risk of getting a bollocking... just kidding folks.

This empty round arrived by airmail today.

What did happen though... I had to go through customs with it.

Her: So what is in the box

Me: A WW1 Mortar Round

Her: Oh... OK.

And she charged me EUR9.02 tax on it.

Thanks Terry,

however, I do believe the only way that todays youth learn anything is by learning from their own mistakes.

How far should I keep from the little bogger to keep a safe distance? John says it may be gas, I suppose keeping downwind with some urine soaked socks should be enough?

Thanks

Chris

I do hope you are joking but even if you are it's a pretty feeble minded joke. If not it shows a horribly callous and irresponsible attitude.

Dirty white drab paint, red filled band, pink filling band, 3-inch Stokes Mortar round with Ammonal filling - not Gas. Four-inch was used for Gas. - SW

Chris,

It's an enima - try it and it will cure silly jokes.

Chris

hmmmm.... it does not seem to be working...

think I should ask for my money back ?

Seemed pretty irresponsible & callous at 1st but guess a sense of humour doesnt translate very well when you are typing into the internet hundreds of miles away rather than having a face to face conversation.

Must admit I had to see the funny side when Chris (from germany) finally revealed that it was just a joke.

Must admit I had to see the funny side when Chris (from germany) finally revealed that it was just a joke.

To be quite honest... I thought that was obvious from my first post... but obviously not. ;-)

Like I said mate, its hard to tell if someone is joking from words typed on a PC.

Sure everything will be ok in the cold light of day but some folk just have a different sense of humour to you.

Nice round BTW

Where did you find it?

Like I said mate, its hard to tell if someone is joking from words typed on a PC.

Sure everything will be ok in the cold light of day but some folk just have a different sense of humour to you.

Nice round BTW

Where did you find it?

Mailed from the USA, must have been a Doughboy souvenier.

Best

Chris

Nice one mate, get quite a few good bayones from that side of the pond.

Does he have any more ?

Cheers,

Aleck

Nice one mate, get quite a few good bayones from that side of the pond.

Does he have any more ?

Cheers,

Aleck

Just the one.

Now I just need the stokes Mortar itself.

Being an ex-mortar man myself, I find the stokes round to be very ... well, strange (No fins etc. etc.)... but I guess that is what evolution is all about...

I got taken in, I call that a good bit of black humour, mind you, remember the boy who cried wolf. Next time you might be all over the world all at once,not the internet, Physically that is.

I don't joke about ammunition.

John

And as John is a former British soldier who has experienced just what munitions/explosives are capable of I suggest those of you who have not, please listen to his and others advice on handling ordnance. You may just thank him one day! :thumbsup: