Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone know what this is?

Chris Boonzaier

Well, I'll vote thumbs up for Chris' spoof. Isn't the Forum all about loud explosions and the occasional red mist? I am only a "mortar-man" in that I was once shelled by one; 82 mm white phosphorus on the rifle range, but I think I have a vote. There seems to be too many Forumites about anyway.

Bob

Chris

Go and tell your little gag to the British troops in Afghanistan, then see who's laughing.

Duncan

Chris

Go and tell your little gag to the British troops in Afghanistan, then see who's laughing.

Duncan

Oh please... spare me such comments. I have been shot at and bombed myself, and to be quite honest, I'm really wonder what armies are represented here in the posts above.

We laughed at everything. Even things that went bang. We laughed at **** jokes, we laughed at near misses, we even laughed at/with small flesh wounds, we laughed when eyebrows were shaved of drunken comrades passed out, we laughed at sick jokes, we laughed at (now in retrospect) mean pranks... And honestly, ex British squaddies in our lot were always at the front of the pack... so I am really a bit curious where you lot served.

Unless of course you were all officers, then maybe I understand :-)

I have refrained from posting out of respect to the older members, but the "Go and tell your little gag to the British troops in Afghanistan" is such a pathetic attempt to jump on the "its not funny " bandwagon, a comment was needed.

Hit a raw nerve then Chris?

I think that you will find that your attempt at humour was wide of the mark or don't you understand that given the terrible consequence of IED's on our lads in Afghanistan, joking about explosives is in bad taste. I'm sure that your parents weren't laughing when you were shot at and bombed yourself.

Duncan

I'm sure that your parents weren't laughing when you were shot at and bombed yourself.

Duncan

No, but they laughed themselves silly when I used to tell them all about it afterwards. Then again... they used to tell me to go play in the traffic when I was a nipper...

Sorry Duncan, "Explosives" is not a holy word, never to be spoken aloud or joked about... you are mixing it up with "Voldemort"

Duncan

Did you see the BBC Series, Our War.

If you did, tell me those young lads did not laugh at everything, even when under fire they laughed, even when one had shrapnel injuries just under his eye they laughed. Dont really think you can use the old, try telling the troops line. Please it was a joke, I just dont see how people could not see that.

Ray

My last word on this thread

PILLOCK

Regards Duncan

Charmed I'm sure,

Whats a Pillock? Some kind of farming implement?

Best

Chris

Please it was a joke, I just dont see how people could not see that.

Well, Chris knew he was going to make people angry. He said so himself. Pranking is all about eliciting a sincere response to a fake crisis so that the prankster can make fun of people and laugh at them for being taken in. It's a very specific brand of humor that appeals to those who like seeing others humiliated.

You can't defend it by saying, "It was a just a joke," because the purpose of the prank isn't to be funny but to embarrass people publicly.

I don't understand pranksters getting defensive or huffy when the pranked don't respond by laughing uproariously and saying, "That was really fun, being embarrassed like that! Thank you!" The entire point of the prank is to make people feel bad, so when they do feel bad, it's kind of odd for the prankster to then say, "It was just a joke! Lighten up!"

It's not up to the pranked to be magnanimous to the person who went out of his way to make them feel bad. Pranking is sadistic; normal people don't react positively to sadism. If you choose to prank people, then you need to man up and own the results without whining.

I remember now why I don't come here. Some people need to have those rods removed from their fourth points of contact. I'll check back in a year or so.

I remember now why I don't come here. Some people need to have those rods removed from their fourth points of contact. I'll check back in a year or so.

Everyone here will count the days until your return.

If you choose to prank people, then you need to man up and own the results without whining.

Me no whine, Me be whipping meself as we speak.

I cant speak for you chaps who have or are in the Forces, but I can tell you that black humour is thriving in the Emergency Services and in my experience people don't take offence it is part of the banter. This is probably attributed to the job.

As I understand it, this was also thriving in the trenches.

Has humour gone AWOL? Stop biting folks and see it for what it is

Thanks Jay,

I am guessing they dont want to hear the story about how we fixed an artillery Simulator/Thunder flash to the door of the toilets on a mortar course... :-(, pity, it was rather funny...

I can see this from both sides.....

what a waste of bandwidth.

59165;

You enjoy 95 year old cheese?......

Yes.

& similarly aged whisky :thumbsup:

Chris that is a nice example, can you break it down?

By the way I thought it was funny and you should have let it go on a bit longer it had miles left.

Chris that is a nice example, can you break it down?

By the way I thought it was funny and you should have let it go on a bit longer it had miles left.

I wanted to nip it in the bud before it got too "hot", as I said before, I had expected a "Pull the other one!" response.

It all unscrews very nicely. As the thing is not fin stabalised, I assume it flys any-old-how through the air with a time detonator?

If that be the case (time tetonator); I wonder how misfires were handeled?

Here is how we had to do it... I dont suppose the drill has changed... but with a time detonator it would probably mean the piece was wrecked with a misfire?

post-748-0-43461000-1309086905.jpg