Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Downton Abbey 2

Alan Tucker

Steven (Post 322) I think you will find that your statement is technically incorrect if you are using it in the context of WW1. I believe that the phrase "all clear" emanated from the 1939-1945 war in respect of air-raid precautions although it may of course have been used during the WW1 Zeppelin and Gotha bombing raids on Britain, that fact will need clarification.

Thank You

Norman

And in the context of such a well-resaearched and accurate televisual feast. :blush:

I apologise. I shall, of course, be resigning my subscription to the Downton Supporters' Club forthwith. Or maybe fifwith.

there isnt a movie, play or dramatisation of any kind that is free from errors.

What - are you including The Colditz Story. You bounder!

Steven I just knew that you would take minor constructive criticism in both an adult and mature fashion befitting a person of "formidable faculties" like myself.

Norman

Can't you let the 'formicable faculties' drop? I was using it to describe an 80 year old in the context of showing that the person was still mentally in full control - in other words, someone who you would think would be able to compare an inaccurate television fiction with father's real photos from a real hospital ward in 1916 where he was really hospitalised having really been shot.

We watched a bit of it (well up to the first advert :lol: ) and Mrs M was most pleased that a PPCLI chap was in it :wacko: . Her most loved regiment apparently.

As WW1 finished in the last episode, will WW2 start in the next?

Did Master Bates go down to London to sort out his affairs?

If they were eating in the hafternoon the meal could have been hunch :rolleyes:

I do hope this thread makes it into Classic Threads :whistle:

Can't you let the 'formicable faculties' drop? I was using it to describe an 80 year old in the context of showing that the person was still mentally in full control - in other words, someone who you would think would be able to compare an inaccurate television fiction with father's real photos from a real hospital ward in 1916 where he was really hospitalised having really been shot.

Good point and a description which certainly applies to all contributors to this superb and learned thread.

Norman :thumbsup:

I have just read the entire thread. Tip top, ladies and gents, give yourselves a round of applause. I'm going to get one of these telly things. They sound like real fun.

For those forum members in North America, I've just read that the second series will be broadcast starting in January, 2012. (PBS, I assume) I am sure they will have corrected all those mistakes by then.... SPOILER ALERT: Apparently there's an armistice--who'd see that one coming?

I've seen some clips on youtube, well, just the war bits really. It looks sufficiently muddy and trench-like; they've got helmets and haircuts and speak with British accents. It'll do.

Will I watch it? Diff to say. This techno-mad, tweeting, texting, blackberry gadget world has left me with the attention span of an espresso-soaked gnat so,....anyway... what was i saying?

Tom

Are they still using gas telly's in Scotland?

Looking forward to next months visit to Linlithgow for the British Schools Orienteering (This does have a Downton link - Aim's watches the programme :rolleyes: )

Good point and a description which certainly applies to all contributors to this superb and learned thread.

Norman :thumbsup:

Even me?

And we're not the only carpers

Tottygraph

Are they still using gas telly's in Scotland?

Well, they may be using gas tellys in affluent Aberdeen, but here we still have the steam variety.

Good article, Norman, and I much agreed with it. I see that one person posting a comment referred to the war as lasting five years, someone else pointed out it was only four. As most of us here know, both are correct.

Moonraker

I applaud the effort that goes into putting a production of this scale together so it is somewhat reluctantly that I do concede that the plot twists are making a wasted opportunity to have a world class period drama. I would still rather be watching stuff about ww1 than the other trash that is on.

I am seeing however that the criticisms are gaining validity.

I think after sundays episode has sunk in however, selling out to ever more sensational plotlines is getting a little wearing. I see the same thing happening with shameless. and for goodness sake let a plot unfold over time rather than spoon feeding us stuff as if we have goldfish memories.

The show itself is moving me ever towards the critic brigade.

Dear fellow Downton fans may I draw your attention to an excellent article in the Daily Telegraph today,

It says that William and Kate are huge fans of DA and spend Sunday evenings glued to the telly. I suppose this is all part of the attempt to make W and H (and K) sound like regular guys, just like you and me. I'd suggest that W and K should be very careful about sending out too many messages that they're just ordinary people. If they're just ordinary people, then why..... [stops before enters GWF Danger Zone] Anyway, you'd have thought newly-weds would have more interesting things to do than watch 'Downton Abbey'. Like going for strolls on the beach in Anglesey.

Bill and Kate only really watch Sunday evening telly for the Antiques Roadshow, granny will kick the bucket soon and she has some nice pieces that might be worth a bit of dosh.

Bill and Kate only really watch Sunday evening telly for the Antiques Roadshow, granny will kick the bucket soon and she has some nice pieces that might be worth a bit of dosh.

<Splutters into single malt...>

What?!?!? You can't say that about Brenda! (gawd bless her) That's blasphemy! ...or something, isnit? You rotter! :P

<Splutters into single malt...>

What?!?!? You can't say that about Brenda! (gawd bless her) That's blasphemy! ...or something, isnit? You rotter! :P

Treason surely!

Today's Tottygraph has a letter from someone complaining about the Colonel wearing his Sam Browne indoors.

Quite right too, the damn fellow is a cad. I had already raised this important question here on the forum as to why he is wearing his uniforn indoors even whilst reading a freshly-ironed newspaper. Perhaps members can clarify the situation.

Yours Truly

Norman

There now seems to be a gathering head of steam in the media that DA has 'jumped the shark' in US TV parlance, ie it is in inexorable decline. The fairly shameless borrowing of plots, cliched situations, numerous inaccuracies, continuity errors etc are now being gleefully seized on. Frankly I think that the second series was simply too quickly cobbled together by Julian Fellowes after the success of the first when he was already working on different projects, including a major drama series for the 100th anniversary of the 'Titanic' disaster. The signs were there in Series One though: the sheer illogicality of the Bates-stealing-the-regimental silver plotline and the 'borrowing' of a famous scene from 'Mrs Miniver' for example. The Tichborne Claimant plotline is just the latest and most ridiculous example. Ah, well, I'm still watching. Has it ever been established what the precise link is between O'Brien and Thomas? There must be one-is she his sister? His mother?