Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentifed Cap Badge - Cavalry / Yeomanry

tn.drummond

I always forget about the musicians :w00t:

Btw Bob, have you got any other images of Victorian NCO's like the one further up (sergeants upwards preferably), I am trying to resolve a shoulder strap question I have in regard to them?

Yes, but what period as we are likely to then step outside the WW1 limits of this forum and find the thread frozen? I may need to send them by email.

Yes, but what period as we are likely to then step outside the WW1 limits of this forum and find the thread frozen? I may need to send them by email.

Oops, I didn't realise they would be so strict - I will drop you an e-mail now!

Andy

It is great to see your posts support my earlier comments. What is the name and number of the Chap whose medal group you own - do you know which RM/RND unit he served with???

It certainly would be interesting to confirm whether he served with the MEF at Gallipoli.

Regards

Sepoy

Here is a RM Medical Orderly showing the badge again.

post-599-0-63994200-1302805539.jpg

Andy

It is great to see your posts support my earlier comments. What is the name and number of the Chap whose medal group you own - do you know which RM/RND unit he served with???

It certainly would be interesting to confirm whether he served with the MEF at Gallipoli.

Regards

Sepoy

Hi Sepoy,

The chap's name is F. G. Dawson, number 4120 (shown as s - 4120 on his medals etc) he enlisted in late 1915 in the Medical Unit, R.N.D. Blandford - embarked feb 1916 with R.N.D. Medical Unit, E.Force.

Embarked at Mudros, disembarked at Marseilles May 1916. Other places mentioned are Ponthoile, Drucat, Mincoval - mainly ith San. Section

So no connection with Gallipolli as I thought!

Regards....Andy

Andy

Thanks for posting the details for Dawson. I certainly would not discount him as a Gallipoli Veteran.

I have looked at the service papers for the three guys whose medals I own, who served in the RN Medical Unit. None of the service papers specifically mention Gallipoli but they are marked embarked at Mudros during May/June, 1916. However, the service papers for 2 of them clearly show they were wounded in action on specific dates that tie in with the Gallipoli Campaign.

Mudros, on Lemnos Island, was the main base for the Gallipoli Campaign and is where the RND withdrew to in January, 1916, after the Gallipoli Evacuation. I would be extremely surprised if Deal 4120 (S) Pte Frederick Dawson, RN Medical Unit had not served at Gallipoli.

Regards

Sepoy

NB Frogsmile that is a great photo of a member of the RN Medical Unit

Andy

Sepoy

Yes and very evocative of the period around the Gallipoli expedition with his economy/utility jacket and belt from 1903 Bandolier Equipment.

Andy

Thanks for posting the details for Dawson. I certainly would not discount him as a Gallipoli Veteran.

I have looked at the service papers for the three guys whose medals I own, who served in the RN Medical Unit. None of the service papers specifically mention Gallipoli but they are marked embarked at Mudros during May/June, 1916. However, the service papers for 2 of them clearly show they were wounded in action on specific dates that tie in with the Gallipoli Campaign.

Mudros, on Lemnos Island, was the main base for the Gallipoli Campaign and is where the RND withdrew to in January, 1916, after the Gallipoli Evacuation. I would be extremely surprised if Deal 4120 (S) Pte Frederick Dawson, RN Medical Unit had not served at Gallipoli.

Regards

Sepoy

Sepoy,

I will check the exact dates on it again & get back to you to see if it could tie in, do you collect medals to this unit in particular?

Ironically, Lemnos is where they dumped all the Kuban Cossacks after they were evacuated from the Crimea at end of the Russian Civil War

- I have got my Grandfather's 'Lemnos' cross which he got in commemoration fo the time they spent there!

Regards....Andy

p.s. concur that is a great pic Bob as posted of the Medical unit chap!

Hi Andy and Sepoy - There is a date anomaly here that I think satisfies Andy's assertion that 'his' man did not serve at Gallipoli.

I'm pretty certain that the last MEF troops were evacuated from the peninsula on 9/1/16 - prior to when 'Dawson' embarked from England. That he went to Mudros is no surprise given it's use as the Base of the Dardanelles blockade for the duration of the war. There is, of course, nothing to suggest that mass clipping of badges did not take place at Lemnos but it does seem a lot less urgent than the fields of conflict on Gallipoli itself.

Fascinating footnote about your grandfather, Andy.

Charoos

Tim

Sepoy,

I will check the exact dates on it again & get back to you to see if it could tie in, do you collect medals to this unit in particular?

Ironically, Lemnos is where they dumped all the Kuban Cossacks after they were evacuated from the Crimea at end of the Russian Civil War

- I have got my Grandfather's 'Lemnos' cross which he got in commemoration fo the time they spent there!

Regards....Andy

p.s. concur that is a great pic Bob as posted of the Medical unit chap!

Your right - its coming home from work shattered after series of "earlies" (damn shift work)

Sorry, I did not read Andy's post properly - the Gallipoli Peninsula was evacuated on 8/9th January, 1916 prior to Dawson's arrival in February 1916

So he is not a Gallipoli Veteran.

Sepoy

NB I am not a collector of Medals to any specific Regiment or Campaign, I just pick up odd Medals (singles or groups) awarded to small units and what catches my eye (and wallet!)

Interesting about the Cossacks at Lemnos!

Interesting about the Cossacks at Lemnos!

Hi Sepoy,

When the White army was evacuated from the Crimean peninsular the majority were dumped (ironically) in Gallipolli of which there is a lot of photographic evidence, the Don Cossacks went to Chataldja, the Kuban Cossacks to Lemnos & the Russia Navy to Bizerte.

Some of the Kuban Cossacks were convinced to return to Russia under the new Soviet rule but after the first batch were taken & the ship returned for more one of the first ones entering the hold found a message scrawled on the wall that the first batch of cossacks were being shot as they left the ship. This prompted the ones just boarding to make a quick exit & no more returned to Russia. Instead they evetually left Lemnos to travel to work building the new main highway between Bulgaria & Yugoslavia. From here they travelled on to different parts of the world, the majority to Germany & France, some to the UK like my family members, & others all over the world. Many chose to stay in Yugoslavia too. This was better than execution or exile that was happening to those Cossacks that remained behind in Russia - many don't realise that the enforced famine in Ukraine also happened in the Kuban as it was the next biggest wheat producer in the Soviet Union.

Regards....Andy

p.s. Attached is my Grandfather's Lemnos cross & regimental badge

post-65942-0-12164600-1302956997.jpg

Fascinating! What are his other medals Andy?

It is amazing how this post has gone from an unidentified cap badge to former Imperial Russian forces!

Sepoy

Fascinating! What are his other medals Andy?

It is amazing how this post has gone from an unidentified cap badge to former Imperial Russian forces!

Sepoy

The only other one we still have of his is his 'Kuban Ice Campaign' which is the wreath of thorns with the sword bisecting it! Unfortunately they left Russia in the uniforms they were wearing & whatever they had with them & that was it so much was left behind including the rest of the family who were wiped out by the Reds.

Sorry for taking it off on a tangent - it was the whole Lemnos thing!

Andy

Here is a photo of my Grandfather Joe Metcalfe No Depot/S/5121 ,He signed up on 10th August 1915 fought in Gallipoli transferred with rest of RND DIV ENG to Marseilles 19.5.16 and wounded just outside Bully -Grennay 18-6-16 by rifle grenade .post-8894-0-64911500-1303078920.jpg

Here is a photo of my Grandfather Joe Metcalfe No Depot/S/5121 ,He signed up on 10th August 1915 fought in Gallipoli transferred with rest of RND DIV ENG to Marseilles 19.5.16 and wounded just outside Bully -Grennay 18-6-16 by rifle grenade .post-8894-0-64911500-1303078920.jpg

Great photo, I see from Ancestry/Findmypast that he also served in the Royal Engineers numbered 244367 and Labour Corps numbered 353306. I have quickly checked my Great Uncle's papers and letters sent from Gallipoli which names a few of the chaps he served with in the 2nd Field Company, RND Engineers, but your grandfather does not appear to have been one the guys mentioned.

Really nice photo, showig the shoulder title nicely too!!!

Hi 'Sapperwho'

Great addition - I can't quite make out what's above the RND...any chance you could enlighten ?

Charoos

Tim

The shoulder title is

E

RND

This was worn by the Royal Naval Divisional Engineers.

Sepoy

(These titles can also be seen being worn in the group photo shown earlier in the post)

Hi Sepoy -

I thought that was the case but I was interested to see how it compared with your comments about a 'soldered' 'E" being present on hand made adaptations. If it is an 'E', and I too am sure it is, then we have yet more evidence of issued and adapted insignia possibly in the same theatre _ which I find fascinating.

Charoos

Tim

Here's one I picked up at the weekend ... Clear RMLI + two nice clear collar badges and a Broderick.

Tim

post-53823-0-15653400-1303202620.jpg