Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Photos WWI

• 4 months later...

Incredible pictures - much appreciated in my search for information concerning L/Cpl Wilfred A Pooley, Sharpshooters, shot through the knee.

Regimental Number: 846

Commander Nick.... Do you have any other details? i.e what date he was shot? ...there is a history of the Sharpshooters and their War Diaries can be downloaded from the National Archives website.

MG

I am greatly indebted to you for uploading this information, which I was able to show my 88-year old friend, whose Father was wounded on or around Chocolate Hill, while serving with the Sharpshooters. Shot through the knee; sadly, he did not make 'old bones', passing away in 1945, when my friend was just 20 years of age.

His name was Wilfred Allen Pooley, Regiment Number 846, Lance Corporal

Boris Mollo, the very helpful Hon Curator at the Kent and Sharpshooters Yeomanry Museum, tells me he was taken on strength on 26-11-1912, on transfer from the 9th London Regiment, Queen Victoria Rifles.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with information on this gallant soldier, whose war record, medals etc were all destroyed by fire back in 1990.

Commander Nick

His Medal Index Card shows 846 L/Cpl 1/3rd County of London Yeomanry and later 207464 Middlesex Regiment. His MIC is also annotated Cpl. It confirms he landed in Egypt on 27th April 1915 which is consistent with the 2nd Mounted Div. Two double Squadrons from each of the 12 Yeomanry Regiments (plus two others) were sent to Gallipoli in mid August 1915. If he was shot in the knee near Chocolate Hill, it is quite likely that it happened during the attack on Scimitar Hill on 21st Aug 1915. From that date onwards mobile warfare stopped in the Suvla Bay area and trench warfare set in. The original 14 Yeomanry regiments did not receive reinforcements while at Suvla Bay so the combination of the MIC and the anecdotal evidence via the family is consistent with a Yeoman landing in August and taking part in the Scimitar Hill action. It is of course possible that he was wounded later, but it is difficult to imagine being shot in the knee whilst in a deep trench. Possible, but less likely. The Sharpshooters departed Suvla Bay at the end of November.

His regiment was part of the 4th (London) Mounted Bde which went right flanking on 21st and actually attacked the Hetman Chair position at dusk. This was a long communication trench terminating is a strong redoubt which the British failed to take on that day. It was all rather messy and the most costly day in terms of casualties in the whole Gallipoli campaign. The history of the Sharpshooters is rather thin by way of published material. The War Diary is intact and has been digitised. It is available via the National Archives website.

Other than reading the War Diary and the Bde War Diary I think it is unlikely that you will find much more unless you are fortunate enough to find a personal diary. Lt Col Weston Jarvis CO of the Sharps at Gallipoli left a detailed personal diary which Mr Mollo has in his archives. The Sharps is not a rich source of material. The Middlesex Hussars (one of the other London Yeomanry Regiments) has a deeper vein of published history - Capt Wedgwood Benn (later Lord Stansgate) wrote an interesting account of the Gallipoli campaign in his book "In the Side Shows" which previous posts on this thread have highlighted.

Lastly - there is a thread on the Gallipoli Section entitled Dead Man's Gully started by GWF member Krithia (an acknowledge expert on Gallipoli) which should be of interest as the gully ran from trench A 62-63 straight into the redoubt at Hetman Chair where the 4th (London) Mounted Bde first saw action. see

The National Archives has wonderfully detailed 1:10,000 scale trench maps of the area. They should have digital scans of these as I paid to get them done a few years ago. The field boundaries shown on the maps have hardly changed and are a near perfect fit with Google Earth images.

* I would also recommend Krithia's (real name Stephen J Chambers) book "Suvla - August Offensive" which you can buy via the GWF website which helps support the forum. It is one of the very few books focused on Suvla.

• 3 years later...

Great thread - these are some absolutely amazing Gallipoli photos!