Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Photos WWI

Photo 35.1 "Lord Henry Bentinck ....... Lt Col Lance.......Lt Col Sir M Wilson.......Azmak Dere" The quality of this image is slightly out of focus. I will try and get a better version soon and back-fit this.

1. Lord Henry Bentinck Lord Henry Bentinck commanded the Derbyshire Yeomanry at Gallipoli. Having served in the Boer War between 1899 and 1900 it highly likely that he knew Weston Jarvis from this campaign as Weston Jarvis had also started with the Derbyshire Yeomanry. The 8th Company Imperial Yeomanry was formed from volunteers of the Derbyshire Imperial Yeomanry. It is interesteing to note that many of the senior Yeomanry officers did in fact have some active service experience prior to the outbreak of WWI. Lt.-Col. Lord Henry Cavendish-Bentinck was born on 28 May 1863. He was the son of Lt Gen Arthur Cavendish Bentinck and he died on 6 October 1931 at age 68. He was educated at Eton and Oxford. On 23 February 1880 he was granted the rank of a duke's younger son. He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) (Conservative) for Nottingham South between 1886 and 1892. He gained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the service of the Derbyshire Yeomanry. He held the office of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Westmorland. He held the office of Member of the London County Council between 1907 and 1910. He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) (Conservative) for Nottingham South between 1910 and 1929. He held the office of Lord-Lieutenant of Westmorland in 1927. He gained the rank of Honorary Colonel in the service of the 4th Battalion, Border Regiment. He gained the rank of Honorary Colonel in the service of the 24th (Derby Yeomanry) Armoured Car Company, Royal Tank Corps. He lived at Underley Hall Kirby Lonsdale Westmoreland England.

Derbyshire Yeomanry War History:
" 4th Oct 1915 - On this day too Lt Col Lord Henry Bentinck who had for some time been ill but had nevertheless insisted on remaining on and doing an equal turn of duty with his officers, was compelled by the doctor to go to hospital.."

2. Lt Col Sir M Wilson. Sir Mathew Richard Henry Wilson, 4th Bt. CSI MP (10th Royal Hussars) was born on 25 August 1875. He was the son of Sir Matthew Amcotts Wilson, 3rd Bt. He died on 17 May 1958 at age 82. Lt.-Col. Sir Mathew Richard Henry Wilson, 4th Bt. gained the title of 4th Baronet Wilson, of Eshton Hall, Yorkshire.Sir Mathew Wilson commanded the 1st/1st County of London Yeomanry (Middlesex Hussars). The two Squadrons under his immediate command were commanded by Maj A M Lafone and Capt O C Watson DSO both of whom were to later win the VC.Lt.-Col. The Middlesex Hussars led the divisional march across the Suvla plain and Sir Mathew and Capt Watson were at the very head of this advance where the officers carried walking sticks. The Middlesex Hussars were to lose 10 men killed and another 46 men wounded of the 250 who set off. He was very complimentary about the officers and men who fought for him;

Middlesex Hussars War Diary (supplementray notes)
: "
… about 2:30 am on the 22nd [August] Capt Watson came back from my advanced troop and informed me that he was of opinion that we might push on. I went back to the Brigadier who was in the trench 300 yds in rear and told him that I thought that by a right attack we might gain a footing on HILL 112, but that if we waited till the morning we should be decimated. While occupying the trench we were continually under rifle fire. I sent out reconnoitring patrols to the front of the troop I had sent out NE of us and I had two men searching the bushes for snipers south of my position. About 1:45 am, acting without orders I sent out Lt Roller and two men to push forward and find out our best line of advance to Hill 112. About 2:45 am I received and order to retire my regt to LALA BABA. I immediately sent out patrols and 2nd Lt Benn who was acting Adjutant to inform the troops around us that we were ordered to retire and also to 100 men of the Border regt who were occupying a Turkish communication trench on our right. I waited for as long as possible for the return of Lt Roller and his patrol but was unable to wait for his rejoining us as I didn't wish to march my Regt across the open in daylight from CHOCOLATE HILL to LALA BABA. We started about 2:45 and reached LALA BABA as day was breaking at about 4:45...............I'd like to bring to notice the conduct of (1) Capt Watson who lead our advance with great coolness and gallantry and gave me most useful information after seeing after his advanced troop was well dug in (2) and Lt W Benn who was acting Adjutant, and was very cool and gallant and spent the whole afternoon and evening cheering up everyone with whom he came in contact, in particular some of the Munsters who had been terribly knocked about (3) Lt G Roller on his return from reconnoitring Hill 112, finding we had gone and thinking we were in front, joined the Dublin Fusiliers remaining with them until ordered to rejoin at CHOCOLATE HILL next day. Once reaching Chocolate Hill on the night of 22nd, he gave me a clear and concise report about troops and the country to the front which would have been very useful to us had we made a night attack.I would also like to bring t notice the conduct of (1) No 2514 Acting SQMS Denyer H F who was hit on the side of his head by shrapnel fire in our advance from Lala baba to Hill 53. Lieut Bristowe [RAMC] informed me next day that it was quite a nasty wound , his face being covered with blood, but he had it ducked on chocolate Hill and took part in the the whole of our advance, acting with great dash and coolness. He only went with great reluctance into hospital on our return to Lala Baba & under order of Lieut Bristowe RAMC and myself [..?] then asking that he might not be sent to a hospital ship but rejoin us at once (2) No 2242 Serjt Newman RT although himself hit in the side by a ricochet in the first stages of the advance from Choc Hill continued with his men, acting with dash and coolness and only fell out half a mile from camp when he had to be [..?] and has since been ordered to hospital (3) No 3333 Sergt Brothers LC was in command of the advanced troop and did not get the order to retire in time to withdraw with the Regt so he kept himself together all night reporting himself to Lt Roller and remaining with him. He went out several times during the night on patrols with mesages and Capt Watson reports to me that he acted through the day and night with great coolness and dash. ...
Report by Lt Col Sir Mathew Wilson Bt Commanding 1st County of London Yeomanry"

3. Lt Col Lance. Maj Lance 19th Lancers (Fanes' Horse). It seems likely that Maj Lance was one of the many Indian Army Officers who were on leave in England at the outbreak of the War and who were posted to TF and Kitchener Army units to provide some experience to these new formations. It looks as if Maj Lance was attached to the Derbyshire Yeomanry and then later commanded the much depleted Bde as casualties and disease took their toll.

3rd Notts & Derby Mtd Bde War Diary - 21st Aug 1915.
"The Bde marched across the plain to CHOCOLATE HILL under heavy shell fire for 1 mile & 1/4 a number of casualties were incurred. The Bde was very [?] steady under their first experience of active service. The Bde arrived at CHOCOLATE HILL 4:50 p.m. Lieut Worthington acting staff Capt (temp on Divisional Staff) was wounded. The Bde was at dusk was ordered out by the S end of CHOCOLATE HILL to support the attack of 1st and 4th Bdes on Hill 112 (N). The Bde lost direction & extended the line to the right, the objective was not reached & after a short retirement held on to the line from 92 C 42,[see map in supplementary info] 400 yds N . About this time Col Cole SNH was severely wounded & Col Sir P Milbanke VC was killed.
Major Lance 19th Lancers (FH) [Fane's Horse?] assumed command of the Brigade
. [Note Chocolate Hill 105 8.....Scimitar Hill (Burnt Hill) 105 I 9..... W Hill 105 T 5-6 ..... Hill 60 92 J 4"

3rd Notts & Derby Mtd Bde War Diary - 1st Sep 1915.
"Maj Lance 19th Lancers (FH) att Derby Yeo was appointed Brigadier with rank of Colonel"

Derbyshire Yeomanry War History: 7th Sep 1915
"At this time the Bde was re-formed into a "Brigade Regiment" under the command of Major Lance. This Regiment consisted of three "double squadrons," with a total strength of possibly 600."

post-55873-0-26308000-1300704546.jpg

Photo 35.2 " Lt Colonel Jarvis' dugout., Reserve Line...........Maj Croshaw"

It is interesting to note the stretcher and the large roll of what looks like chicken wire. This photo would have been taken in the reserve trenches somewhere between the Hetman Chair-Susak Kuyu front line trenches and the Road leading back to the Salt Lake/Nibrunesi Point. details on Maj Croshaw can be found on this thread on a previous post. MG

post-55873-0-66637800-1300719209.jpg

Photo 35.4 "Section of the Brigade Reserve Line - Chocolate Hill in the distance"

It is interesting to see the proximity of Chocolate Hill with its (then) distinctive dark brown colouring from the burnt scrub. The view is looking NNE. Tint's Corner would be in the area of the thin line of very dark trees and scrub on the right running off picture. It is noteworthy that the men are walking around in the open. Note the paraphernalia of war lying around and the ubiquitous SRD jar on the right and the water tin in the middle. There seems to be no shortage of digging equipment. One of the men in the photo appears to be wearing a Scottish bonnet and is likely to be a member of the Scottish Horse who arrived on 1st Sep 1915 as reinforcements and who were attached to the 2nd Mounted Div. This helps confirm dating the picture. The photo was taken while the regiment was in the Reserve Line. From the War Diary we can deduce this is sometime between the 17th and 25th Sep 1915, probably after 21st (photo 2 before was dated 21st Sep). From the shadows the photo would have been taken in the mid-afternoon. From the diaries, the shelling usually happened in the morning, midday or the late afternoon which might explain the confidence that these men had in walking around the Reserve Trenches in the mid afternoon.

1st/3rd County of London (Sharpshooters) War Diary 17th- 25th September 1915

17th Sep
"Shelled at intervals all day. Our guns shelled the advanced work of the enemy mentioned
[in the War Diary]
above (15th Aug) and practically destroyed it. Relieved in the firing line at 8:30 p.m. by the SCOTTISH HORSE. The Regiment going into the trenches vacated by them in the RESERVE LINE which are as yet very rough and require constant improvement. The move completed satisfactorily by 11 p.m." [note War Diary capitals]

18th Sep
"The enemy continued shelling our trenches in the reserve line at 6:30 a.m. They are very much expected. No communications trenches yet dug. At 5 p.m. there was a terrific outburst of both artillery and rifle fire which looked like a prelude to a general attack but it died down in about 40 minutes. Worked hard all night digging the remaining communications trenches."

19th Sep
"Shelled as usual in the afternoon. Made progress with the trenches".

20th Sep
"Quiet day. Made good progress with the trenches"

21st Sep
"Heavily shelled in the Reserve Line at 7 a.m. and again at 9 a.m. With that exception, a quiet day"

22nd Sep
"Usual Routine trench work"

23rd Sep
"Heavily shelled both morning and evening - Fairly quiet in the middle of the day. Weather very cold"

24th Sep
"Fairly quiet day. Heavy rifle fire at night. Communications trenches practically completed but require considerable improvement"

25th Sep
"Heavily shelled in the morning . The parapets [?] of the HQ being knocked down in two places. Moved into the firing line at 8 p.m. taking over the section from DORSET SAP to TINT'S CORNER relieving the BUCKS, BERKS and HERTS Yeomanry. Move completed at 10 p.m."

1st/1st County of London Yeomanry (Middlesex Hussars) History: " On Sep 17th the Middlesex Yeomanry were relieved by the Scottish Horse and took their place in the reserve trenches on the plain where it was fairly safe to walk singly in the open. Tpr Jackson who was wounded was the only casualty suffered while in reserve. There was bathing, a church service, and a blanket issue. ANZAC beach at night looked like the Thames Embankment. The Colonel [sir Mathew Wilson Bt] brought two eggs for each man from Imbros, and the Lord mayor's Fund provided sardines and chocolate. Blackberries were ripe"

post-55873-0-35939100-1300722277.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Photo 36.2 "General View of Section of Front Trenches from Green Hill"

This photo is (I think) taken from the A 65 Trench very close to Yeoman's Knoll looking directly South towards the long communication trench that met the 'redoubt' at Hetman Chair, opposite Tint's Corner. for those members following the Dead Man's Gully thread, the deadly ditch will be in the middle foreground somewhere running from right (British) to left (Turkish) lines. I think it is possible to pin this photo to 29th or 30th August 1915 when the Sharpshooters were at Green Hill. I think this must have been taken on a rather hazy day as the horizon has whited-out. Today the road from Green Hill cemetery running south to Azmak Dere would run roughly from the right behind the sandbags to the centre horizon.

Sharpshooters' War Diary,

28th Aug 15:
"Very heavily shelled from 3:30 am till 6 am. Lt Marson, Cpl Withers and Tpr Terraine and Coombe-Robinson wounded. Shelling continued intermittently all day. Paraded at 8 pm and took most the line of trenches from GREEN HILL to TINTS CORNER held by the Westminster Dragoons and Herts Yeomanry"

29th Aug 15
: "
Quiet day except for snipers - many dead bodies close to our line but impossible to bury them under existing circumstances. Improvements made in trenches and dug-outs".

30th Aug 15
"Tpr Beaumont shot dead through a loop hole in the early morning. Marched at 11:15 pm to take over the section near AZMAK DERE relieving 6th Bn [Royal] Dublin Fusiliers who in time take over our line".

Westminster Dragoons War Diary

28th Aug 15
"A tremendous fusilade by the Turks commenced & lasted about an hour, we thought the Turks were attacking but nothing happened - our men behaved v well & we hardly fired a shot in return but waited. Cpl Williams died, one man wounded…. 1 pm Orders received that we would be relieved in the trenches by the London Mounted Bde. This they did at about 8.30 pm & we arrived back at CHOCOLATE HILL about 11:30 pm. Lt F C Stern joined from Egypt recalled from leave in England"
[Note Lt Stern was to be injured by an RE Officer only the next day practising bomb throwing. Possibly one of the RE Officers shown in a photo on this thread]

Roughriders History (AS Hamilton):

Aug 15 "
For several nights the Roughriders were emplyed in digging trenches in front of Scimitar Hill. Then, for a night or two they carried rations to the Middlesex and the Sharpshooters who had relieved the 5th Bde in the line south of Green Hill. But from the 31st when these two Regts moved further south they provided both cariers and working parties for them, the former pushing along the front line where the sentries took strange delight in warning those with the most awkward loads to "hurry along the next bit, a sniper got six there today!" and the latter toiling in the open on a new communication trench from Picadilly Circus where snipers were even more active and were commonly thought to get behind the British line.

I have omitted 2 preceding pictures in the sequence as they are not particularly interesting. They are of officers standing looking at the camera in a trench:

35.5 "Capt Oppenheim, Capt Lord Hampton, Maj Shepperd, Lt Col Pitt"

35.6 "Major Lionel Darell"

MG

post-55873-0-29731000-1302856122.jpg

Photo 36.5 "Trooper Sharp - Another wet Corner of City of London Yeomanry trenches"

This scene is likely to be in the lowest-lying area near Tint's corner (Choc Hill in the background?), or the support trenches immediately behind (ditto). Situated in the natural drainage basin of the Suvla Plain, these trenches were bone dry in the summer of August, but quickly filled with water as the water-table rose after the rains started in late September. The natural drainage into the deres from the land was slow due to the nature of the soil and the low gradient. The Sharpshooters, Roughriders and Middlesex Yeomanry were brigaded together in a composite regiment at this stage and were beginning to see more casualties from disease than the enemy.

Roughriders History - Sep 1915

"
The weather was then breaking up and occasional showers and summer storms gave place to tropical downpours and steady driving rain….."

Roughriders War Diary

26th Sep 15.
"Advanced Trenches. New position in front line joining 3rd Regt on our right and 1st County Yeo on our left. Right half of trenches swamped with water and require pumping day and night to keep passable. 4 sick to Fd Amb... 1700 A sudden heavy bombardment by the Turks and Regt stood to arms"

27th Sep 15
"Advanced Trenches. Water rising and trench very bad. Improved by afternoon. Turks are launching broomstick bombs from a trench mortar in front and behind our lines. None in trenches.... 1900 Regt had just stood to arms when loud cheering came along the line. Turks alarmed and opened hot fire from rifles, MGs. Then batteries joined in and then our own Batteries & ships . The expenditure of ammunition by the Turks was enormous. We had no casualties and fired very little. Sick to Fd Amb 3. Returned from Hospital "

Middlesex Hussars History

25th Sep 15. "
The Middlesex Yeomanry relieved the Herts Yeomanry in the front line on Sep 25th, this time at Tint's Corner below Green Hill; the trenches were partly under water and casualties occurred through men taking short cuts. The rattling of the Indian Mule carts way back brought broomstick bombs from the Turks each night at nine, the sticks of which were prized as firewood.These trenches were situated on a part of the battlefield of the 21st. Over the parapet hundreds of unburied bodies of men of many regiments lying in fantastic attitudes and a long shallow ditch known as Dead Man's Gully' was filled with mouldering skeletons one on top of the other".

Derbyshire Yeomanry History

25th Sep 15
"Moved to relieve QOWH right (or south) of Chocolate Hill at 21:30. ½ mile left of previous trenches. Trenches poor. Insanitary, Swampy. Pump broken. Insanitary due to dead bodies from 21st. Aug. Wind blowing towards trench. Smell unbearable.Numbers getting low"

Diary of Lt E T Cripps RGHY

Sep 1915
"Can't think what will happen in the winter in the low-lying ground. We shall be in deep water I expect. So far the weather has been kind, no rain at all except a couple of wettings a week ago. I wish they would give us the corrugated iron they talk about.

Any mistakes are mine. MG.

post-55873-0-93778800-1303138922.jpg

• 2 months later...

Picture 36.6. "Trooper Packman Midlesex Yeomanry Wounded"

Not much to add to this one. I think this is also in the vicinity of Tint's Corner given the skyline. It is interesting to note that a wounded soldier would be of enough interest for the CO to photograph.

post-55873-0-43636800-1310067314.jpg

Photo 37.1 "Turkish Well" September 1915.

Similar wells still exist today. The hills in the background are Chocolate Hill (left) and Green Hill (right). The saddle between the two, just above the heads of the men is where Green Hill Cemetery stands today. and the photo will have been taken from the reserve trenches in the vicinity of Hetman Chair/Tint's Corner. The 1:10,000 maps mark a number of wells in the vicinity. Indeed it might even be the Susak Kuyu aka Gurkha Wells which marked the junction of the 2nd Mtd Div and the 29th Indian Inf Bde. Despite the proximity to the front line, it seems that there were periods when it was possible to draw water from wells without being sniped. This photo looks quite staged and also looks as if it has been touched up. Interestingly the photo was used as the basis for an ink sketch in Henry Day's book A Cavalry Chaplain - see following post. Note the ubiquitous SRD jar by the feet of the man on the right. MG

post-55873-0-28125000-1310067689.jpg

• 3 months later...

A very interesting thread.

I have a series of (very well) written letters by my grandfather, Capt Kenneth Gossell MC, from 14th August, aboard the Catalonia, to the 24th September. He was an officer of 1/1 County of London(Middlesex Yeomanry)so your extracts help to put these in context.

A very interesting thread.

I have a series of (very well) written letters by my grandfather, Capt Kenneth Gossell MC, from 14th August, aboard the Catalonia, to the 24th September. He was an officer of 1/1 County of London(Middlesex Yeomanry)so your extracts help to put these in context.

I would be very interested in seeing them if you would consider it. James Benn (GWF member) would very likely be interested too. 2 of the Officers were later to win the VC, and your grandfather would have known them. I assume you have read Benn's "In the Side Shows" and the Regimental History. I have transcribed the War Diary for Gallipoli if you are interested. If is available on line from TNA for £3.50 but reading it in the original is not so easy.

Regards MG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mention of a Major Oswald Mosely xxxxx (?), and also that he was noted as having been later killed in France. Is this a relative of the Oswald Mosely of some note in the 1930s?

Bob Lembke

Mention of a Major Oswald Mosely xxxxx (?), and also that he was noted as having been later killed in France. Is this a relative of the Oswald Mosely of some note in the 1930s?

Bob Lembke

Yes. He was originally in the Derbyshire Yeomanry.

• 3 months later...
Guest lindjemp1

Thank you so much for posting the original picture - Sir Mathew Richard Henry Wilson was my great great uncle and I had no idea where he served during World War I and its great to see a picture of him albeit not too clear.

I really didnt know much about Gallipolli either so it has been a real eye opener reading about it on these forums.

Thanks again

Linda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Carrie2161

Hi, I am reading this thread with great interest. My great-grandfather joined the war on 11/09/1915 (theatre of war 3 - which I believe was Eygpt) and was in the 3rd County of London Yeomanry - it appears that this is after much of the action that you talk about above. I was wondering if you have any diary entries for dates on and after 11/09/1915 - desperate to know more....

What wonderful photos. It gives me some idea of the conditions my grandfather endured for the short time he was in Gallipoli. He was killed by a sniper when leaving his dugout to bring back a wounded comrade. His name was 1177 Private William Cuthbert Boud of the 4 Bn Essex Regiment - a Bandsman. His last letter to my Grandmother was written on board a ship and dated 4th August 1915. He was killed on the 22nd August 1915. Would anyone know what ship he was on and where they landed?

• 1 month later...

What wonderful photos. It gives me some idea of the conditions my grandfather endured for the short time he was in Gallipoli. He was killed by a sniper when leaving his dugout to bring back a wounded comrade. His name was 1177 Private William Cuthbert Boud of the 4 Bn Essex Regiment - a Bandsman. His last letter to my Grandmother was written on board a ship and dated 4th August 1915. He was killed on the 22nd August 1915. Would anyone know what ship he was on and where they landed?

Roboman, I have recently started studying Gallipoli and the answers you seek, and more are in a book I have purchased by Ray Westlake, British Regiments at Gallipoli by Pen & Sword. To pinpoint exactly where your grandfather was you would need to know which Company he was in. The 1/4TH Battalion (T.F.) suffered a heavy bombardment on the 19th of August at Lone Tree Gully. 9 other ranks killed, 3 officers, 32 other ranks wounded. I wonder if he succumbed to his injuries as they handed over part of the line on the 22nd to the 1st Essex. Your Grandfather would have been on the ship Barry or the Queen Victoria and landed at "C" Beach Suvla Bay on the 12th or 13th of August 1915.

Regards. Yorkie.

Hi, I am reading this thread with great interest. My great-grandfather joined the war on 11/09/1915 (theatre of war 3 - which I believe was Eygpt) and was in the 3rd County of London Yeomanry - it appears that this is after much of the action that you talk about above. I was wondering if you have any diary entries for dates on and after 11/09/1915 - desperate to know more....

Carrie2161 In Ray Westlake's book British Regiments at Gallipoli it states Sept; Due to casualties and sickness reorganised (with 1/1st City and 1/1st County of London Yeomanries) as 4th London Regiment, 2nd Composite Mounted Brigade (4th). Located in reserve at Salt Lake Line, forward area-Tint's Corner area.

Oct; Began work on right of line (3rd) extending positions towards Black and White House. Detachment held position in No Man's Land-Owls Barn.

Nov; To Lala Baba (1st) and sailed for Mudros (2nd).

There are entries for Apr, May and August also.

Regards Yorkie 1964

Dear Roboman

A couple of War Diary entries which may be of interest.

Two entries in 1/4th Essex Regiment War Diary:

Lemnos, 4th August.

"Several transports left during the night with troops for the front. Information received from the DAQMG's office that the Battalion would await the arrival of the rest of the 54th Division;- the stores (* which the steamer had been diverted to LEMNOS) would be unlocked, and, if possible the mules and horses would be landed. One company rowed ashore in the ship's boats and bathed".

Gallipoli Peninsula (previous page Suvla Bay), 22nd August.

"Handed over half of line occupied to 29th Division (1st Essex Regt). Removed Bn HQs to top of KIRETCH TEPE SIRT (Razor Back) sent B Coy on to left flank of line. Casualties 1 killed 1 wounded."

A couple of paragraphs in the typed Embarkation Officer (Mudros) War Diary record:

August 1915 Thursday 12th.

"Supply details 53rd Division, Signal Section, Base Horse Transport, and 1/4th Essex Regt. to SUVLA. 21st Sanitary Section to ANZAC

Friday 13th

"KK Cable section, einforcements 10th Division, Reinforcements 53rd Division, Detachment 1/4th Essex Regt and 10th Div. Cyclist Coy to SUVLA. Then handwritten "Royal Edward torpedoed and sank, 1000 lost."

Kind regards

Alan

The Armstrong Collection at Limerick University, now available to the public I understand, has many WW1 photos taken by William Maurice (Pat) Armstrong, including some at Gallipoli. I have no idea how many but it might be worth enquiring. I have been in touch with them for other reasons.

See http://www.ul.ie/news-centre/news/ul-celebrates-heritage-week-with-photographic-exhibition-of-19th-century-hi

and http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Library/Special_Collections/2011

Alan