The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northamptonshire Regiment - List of photos

rflory

Dick,

You are a gent and a scholar thank you!

Paul.

• 1 year later...

To all forum members: Because of the new policy on the uploading of photos to URLs, I will no longer be offering photos of fallen officers and men on this topic.

Dick Flory

• 1 year later...

Hello There,

Have been aways for a while, now living in New Zealand and have just seen your kind offer that you would scan a photo of some of these chaps in your list for people.

If the kind offer still stands could you send me a copy of the following gent: Neale, Lt T H C, it would be most helpful and aid, I am sure with my family research in due course:

As always any such help regarding NEALE named original family medals, photos, death plaques is always most welcome.

Kind Regards and thank you in advance.

Chris Neale.

Dick Flory doesn't pop in to the Forum every day (as far as I know) so I hope he won't mind me posting T H C Neale's photo.

post-6536-1187737719.jpg

Despite the Northamptonshire Regiment being my main focus of research, I haven't really researched the 1st Battalion yet, but I can have a further look for him in my books if you want.

His initials seem to be the wrong way around as CWGC has him as H C T Neale.

Name: NEALE

Initials: H C T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 01/01/1916

Additional information: Son of Dr. A. E. Neale, of 46, St. Michael's Rd., Bedford.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. K. 18.

Cemetery: NOEUX-LES-MINES COMMUNAL CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=466023

ODGW has him as:

Name: NEALE, Herbert Cecil Thubron

Regiment, Corps etc.: Northamptonshire Regiment

Battalion etc.: Battalion Not Shown

Last name: Neale

First name(s): Herbert Cecil Thubron

Initials: H C T

Decoration: -

Date died: 01 January 1916

How died: Died of wounds

Supplementary Notes: -

and the Medal Cards have him as:

Medal card of Neale, Herbert Cecil Thubson

Corps Regiment No Rank

Honourable Artillery Company 1955 Private

Northamptonshire Regiment Second Lieutenant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Steve.

He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant on 12th September 1914.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Oddly, he relinquished his commission on 28-12-1914

Only to be commissioned via the Royal Military College (Sandhurst) on 12th May 1915.

He also has a file at the National Archives:

WO 339/30770 NEALE H C T, Lieut 1914-1921

Looks like he was born in 1894:

Per BMD Index:

Herbert Cecil T Neale 1894 Oct-Nov-Dec Haverfordwest Dyfed, Pembrokeshire , Vol. 11a, Page 1129.

On the 1901 Census he is 6 years old, born Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.

Lilian Gostelow Neale age 32 , born Durham

Herbert Cecil Thubron Neale, age 6, born Milford Haven

Albert Leslie Neale, age 5, born Milford Haven

Ranald Kingsley Neale, age 3, born Bristol

Letitia Liliah Neale 7 months, born St Margarets, Middlesex

+ 2 servants.

Living at 77 Crown Road, Twickenham.

Lilian Gostelow Thubron was married to Albert Ezra Neale at Gateshead in the JAS Qtr 1893, Vol 10a, Page 1094.

Steve.

The Regimental History (The Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918) mentions him on page 137. "On the last day of 1915, Second-Lieutenant H. C. T. Neale was mortally wounded by a shell while he was inspecting gas helmets behind the support line. He died in hospital when the battalion was out of the line, and was given a military funeral at Nouex-les-Mines."

Later on page 144 he is mentioned again "For the 1st battalion the year 1916 opened mournfully, for on January 1st Second-Lieutenant Neale died of his wounds."

The 1st Northamptons war diary of 1-1-1916 quotes "2nd Lt Neale died of wounds during the night from wounds received the day before"

The 31st December 1915 states "All quiet" in one hand. Then adds "2nd Lt H C T Neale wounded by shell" in pencil.

Steve.

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is rather old, but is anyone able to supply a picture of Lieutenant A.W Tuckey? Or point me in the direction to find one? He was Killed in Action at Loos in 1915 in the same action as Captain Read, when he won his VC.

Thanks,

J

Name:TUCKEYInitials:A WNationality:United KingdomRank:LieutenantRegiment/Service:Northamptonshire RegimentUnit Text:1st Bn.Age:37Date of Death:25/09/1915Additional information:Son of Charles Tuckey, of Brackley, Northamptonshire; husband of Mrs. K. Tuckey, of 17, Roman Rd., Colchester. Served in the South African Campaign (Queen Victoria's and King Edward's Medals).Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:III. K. 12.Cemetery:DUD CORNER CEMETERY, LOOS

I should be able to sort you one out later.

Do you want his obituary from the local paper as well? I seem to remember that there was one.

Steve.

Great Stuff!

I have afair amount os similar stuff on the Hertfordshire Regiment...

How much of a mammouth task would it be to actually collate available informaiton for individual personnel by Regiment/Battallion (as in all of them), I know some units have done it individually, but I mean a central database?? Probably a near impossible undertaking.... Would be amazing though!

Just thinking out loud....

:whistle:

I should be able to sort you one out later.

Do you want his obituary from the local paper as well? I seem to remember that there was one.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. The obituary from the local paper would be great too! I require referencing material with them. Could you possibly send me that?

I have the information from the CWGC. He is on the Brackley War Memorial - would he be on a Colchester one too? Can I get information on his SA service?

Thanks,

J

Photo of Lieut. A W Tuckey. Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-0-57788200-1299694645.jpg

Thank you for that Dick.

Could you possibly give me a page number and author from the Northamptonshire regiment book for this?

Thanks,

J

No need to post the pic from the book, so these are from the Northampton Independent of 9-10-1915, Page 9. because the article was on the spine, I took a closer pic of the photo as well.

post-6536-0-90903700-1299699516.jpg

post-6536-0-71734200-1299699633.jpg

Steve.

Page number for the book photograph is Page 142.

The book is a newspaper project, stemming from the Northampton Independent, whose editor was W H Holloway, the nominal author of the book. Printed by "Jos. Rogers & Co., The Magnet Press, 5 & 7 Wood Street, Northampton". Naval and Military press recently reprinted it.

Steve.

His Other Ranks number (4512) was nine numbers aways from my great-uncle Arthur (4521) by the way....

Steve.

That's great! Thanks very much Steve!

Very interesting to see the closeness in numbers with your Great-Uncle. Hopefully in the coming year I will be able to congregate more information on Lieutenant Tuckey.

Regards,

J

I may well get chance to get to the National Archives soon. His record will go on my list. It will be interesting to compare his record with Uncle Arthurs....

Watch this space, as I am checking some records now.

Steve.

Here is what I have on Lieutenant Albert William Tuckey

No. 4512, 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment, and Lieutenant, 1st Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment

Albert William Tuckey was born in 1877 at Brackley in Northamptonshire. He was the son of Albert Charles Tuckey (1858-????) and Mrs Mary Ann Tuckey (1856-1929, nee Mayo).

Possibly enlisted on 8-1-1895

Allocated No. 4512, Northamptonshire Regiment

Likely to have trained at Northampton Depot, Jan to May 1895, and been posted to 2nd Bn. in May 1895.

Father’s birth – Albert Charles Tuckey, A-M-J 1858, Brackley, Vol. 3b, Page: 4

Parent’s marriage – Albert Charles Tuckey and Mary Ann Mayo, J-A-S 1877, Brackley, Vol. 3b, Page: 1

Birth – Albert William Tuckey, O-N-D 1877, Brackley, Vol: 3b, Page: 4

Marriage – Albert William Tuckey and Kate Harding, A-M-J 1910, Northampton, Vol: 3b, Page: 79

2nd Battalion Muster Roll of 1897: Corpl. A Tuckey, “D” Company (Captain G P A Bramwell, Lieutenant P Allen, Colour Sergeant A Beard)

Queens South Africa Roll, WO 100/193, page 81, Nylstroom 15-7-1901, Sgt A Tuckey, QSA + clasps for Belmont, Modder River, Orange Free State & Transvaal

King’s South Africa Roll, WO 100/337, Page 92, Praetoria 24-4-1903, Sgt. A W Tuckey, entitled to KSA + 1901 & 1902 clasps

2nd Battalion Muster Roll of 24/25-7-1910: Col. Sgt. A W Tuckey, “D” Company (Captain CW Barton DSO, Lieut. T S Muirhead, Sec. Lt. S H Beattie)

A Col. Sgt. with 2nd Bn. at Floriana Barracks, Malta per the 1911 Census (Married), age 34 - born at Brackley, Northants. Kate Tuckey, age 25, born at Northampton also at barracks – married under one year

Probate record: “Albert William Tuckey, of Northampton Barracks, Northampton, Lieutenant HM Army, died 25 September 1915 in France. Administration London, 22 December 1915 to Kate Tuckey, Widow. £129 0s 10d”

Officers file: WO 339/24121 TUCKEY A W, Lieut 1894-1919

1881 Census

RG 11/1531

Banbury road, Brackley St Peter

Charles Tuckey, Head of Household, Married, age 22, bricklayer, born at Brackley, Northants

Mary Ann Tuckey, Wife, Married, age 24, born at Helmdon, Northants

Albert Tuckey, Son, age 3, scholar, born at Brackley, Northants

Arthur Tuckey, Son, age 1, born at Brackley, Northants

1891 Census

RG 12/1185

Chapel Square, Brackley

Albert C Tuckey, Head of Household, Married, age 32, bricklayer, born at Brackley, Northants

Mary A Tuckey, Wife, Married, age 35, born at Helmdon, Northants

Albert Tuckey, Son, age 13, scholar, born at Brackley, Northants (age 18 per Ancestry Index)

Arthur Tuckey, Son, age 11, scholar, born at Brackley, Northants

Mary C Tuckey, Daughter, age 6, scholar, born at Brackley, Northants

William Tuckey, Son, age 3, born at Brackley, Northants

1901 Census

RG 13/1408

Banbury Road, Brackley

Albert C Tuckey, Head of Household, Married, age 42, bricklayers labourer, born at Brackley, Northants

Mary A Tuckey, Wife, Married, age 44, born at Helmdon, Northants

William Tuckey, Son, age 13, born at Brackley, Northants

Mabel E Tuckey, Daughter, age 9, scholar, born at Brackley, Northants

Walter C Tuckey, Son, age 5, born at Brackley, Northants

(Albert Tuckey serving in South Africa)

London Gazette 5-3-1915

The undermentioned Warrant and Non-commissioned Officers to be Second Lieutenants.

Dated 6th March, 1915: —

The Northamptonshire Regiment, Serjeant-Major Albert William Tuckey

Serjeant Horace Henry Forbes, from Coldstream Guards

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29091/pages/2241

London Gazette 28-10-1915

The Northamptonshire Regiment

The undermentioned to be temporary Captains: —

Lieutenant J. C. O. Marriott. Dated 10th September, 1915

Second Lieutenant G. H. D. Metcalfe. Dated 11th September, 1915

Lieutenant K. H. McClure. Dated 29th September, 1915

Second Lieutenant G. H. D. Metcalfe relinquishes the temporary rank of Captain. Dated 26th September, 1915

Second Lieutenant A. H. H. Rice, Unattached List, Indian Army, relinquishes the temporary rank of Lieutenant. Dated 8th September, 1915

The undermentioned Second Lieutenants to be temporary Lieutenants: —

R. H. G. Batten. Dated 9th September, 1915

A. W. Tuckey (since killed in action). Dated 12th September, 1915

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29342/supplements/10633

Steve.

• 1 year later...

I have just joined the Forum and noticed your post. Any photos or information relating to my great uncle

Captain Anketel Moutray Read VC would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Moutray-Read

Now there is a familiar name!

I suppose with someone quite as well known as a V.C., I ought to ask what you know and have on Captain Read, so that I don't retread too much that you already know.

However, online there are several photographs / portraits:

- The photo on the webpage here is the one generally seen of him - http://www.remembering.org.uk/dud_corner_cemetery.htm - I believe I have a bigger copy of that, and it is also the photograph used on the VCs awards wall at the Northamptonshire Regiment museum.

- A different photograph is here - Photograph: Anketell Moutray-Read (1914) - I haven't worked out exactly when this was but is likely to have been in 1914/15 when he was attached to the RFC, based on the uniform of course.

- A third photograph appears in the book that this topic refers to, a head and shoulders cropped photograph of him in a sports shirt.

- On of the painted portraits is used on his Wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anketell_Moutray_Read - I believe this was used on Gallagher Cigarette cards of men awarded the V.C. This was presumably painted after his death as it shows him wearing his V.C.

- A very nice portrait of him is here - Anketell Montray Read - Again, painted after his death since this is part of a set of the men awarded the VC from the Regiment.

Also, I was at Dud Corner a couple of months ago and photographed his grave.

Steve.

Now there is a familiar name!

I suppose with someone quite as well known as a V.C., I ought to ask what you know and have on Captain Read, so that I don't retread too much that you already know.

However, online there are several photographs / portraits:

- The photo on the webpage here is the one generally seen of him - http://www.rememberi...er_cemetery.htm - I believe I have a bigger copy of that, and it is also the photograph used on the VCs awards wall at the Northamptonshire Regiment museum.

- A different photograph is here - http://www.flickr.co...eum/3004147333/ - I haven't worked out exactly when this was but is likely to have been in 1914/15 when he was attached to the RFC, based on the uniform of course.

- A third photograph appears in the book that this topic refers to, a head and shoulders cropped photograph of him in a sports shirt.

- On of the painted portraits is used on his Wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia....ll_Moutray_Read - I believe this was used on Gallagher Cigarette cards of men awarded the V.C. This was presumably painted after his death as it shows him wearing his V.C.

- A very nice portrait of him is here - http://www.flickr.co...eum/3004150339/ - Again, painted after his death since this is part of a set of the men awarded the VC from the Regiment.

Also, I was at Dud Corner a couple of months ago and photographed his grave.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your reply. I have basically all the Photos and information from the internet but always on the lookout for anything new. So many were killed at the Battle of Loos that sadly most of the information we would love to have was lost. The picture of Anketel on crutches was after he was badly wounded while still serving with the RFC in1914.After this he transferred to the Northamptonshire Regiment either because he could no longer fly or because they were so short of Officers.

My brother has been to Dud Corner and I plan to go on the 100th anniversary in 2015.

Kind regards,

Michael

Michael Moutray-Read

• 1 year later...
Guest Cricketer

I note you have a photo of 2nd Lieutenant DK Cooper,killed at High Wood on 9 September 1916.

He was killed in the same action as my great uncle 2nd Lieutenant AHG (Gilbert) Clarke. We have full researched the whole of this sad,pointless,dud attack,and been able to actually follow up the sunken road they advanced down,up to the still existing crater where they were killed on the edge of High Wood today.

If anyone has a way of reaching Cooper's family,it would be very good.

• 5 months later...

We have found a War medal in my late father in laws effects awarded to Pte Louis E Cox 18722 Northamptonshire regiment. Died 13/05/1916. There is no known connection to our family and we have no idea where the medal came from. Any information would be welcome.

andy