Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northamptonshire Regiment - List of photos

rflory

Guest RogerTamplin

Does anyone have anything on Horace Henry (Harry) Forbes? As Serjeant Forbes, he was made 2nd Lieutenant, same day day as Albert Tuckey, 5th March 1915. I believe he was later made Captain. And I know he lost a leg at some point, tho how, where, or when I have no idea. Any news or hints gratefully received. Roger Tamplin (Great nephew).

Harry Forbes spent a relative short time with 1st Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment before being wounded at Aubers Ridge on 9th May 1915. I strongly suspect that this was when he lost his leg, and that he didn't return to the front line thereafter. Here are my notes on him:

Served in the Coldstream Guards prior to the war. A Lance-Sergeant in the 1st Coldstream Guards in 1911. Did not serve overseas in the ranks prior to being discharged to a Commission.
  • Served in the Coldstream Guards prior to the war.
  • A Lance-Sergeant of the 1st Coldstream Guards, of 10 Dagmar Road, Windsor, Berks in 1911.
  • Commissioned from a Sergeant in the Coldstream Guards as a Special Reserve Second Lieutenant in the 3rd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment on 6th March 1915.
  • Embarked to France in March 1915.
  • Joined 1st Battalion on 10th April 1915.
  • Wounded as a Second Lieutenant with "C" Company of 1st Battalion at Aubers Ridge on 9th May 1915.
  • Promoted to Lieutenant in February 1916, dated 1st October 1915. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29468/supplement/1561
  • Placed on the half-pay List on account of ill-health on 29th November 1916. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29881/supplement/12635
  • Restored to full-pay and appointed as temporary Captain whilst employed at R.A.M.C. Records at Woking from 7th April 1919. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31341/supplement/6094
  • Reverts to the half-pay list on account of ill-health upon ceasing to be employed in a Record Office as a temporary Captain on full pay from 1st April 1921. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32367/supplement/4991/
  • Placed on retired pay on account of ill-health caused by wounds upon completion of 5 years' non-employment on 29th November 1921, and granted the rank of Captain. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32595/supplement/907/
  • Born in 1886 at Manchester, Lancashire (Chorlton RD).
  • Son of George Forbes and Mrs Annie Forbes (nee Howett).
  • Living with mother and grandparents at Melton Mowbray in 1891, and with aunt and uncle at Melton Mowbray in 1901.
  • Married to Annie Louisa Bunning in 1910.
  • Father of Horace Reginald Forbes.
  • Of Lynmouth House, Heathside Crescent, Woking.
  • Of Cottenham, Teignmouth Road, Bishopsteignton, Devon in 1966.
  • Died at Lady Croft Tichborne, Hampshire on 5th July 1966.
  • Officers record at National Archives: WO 339/24101 Captain Horace Henry FORBES. The Northamptonshire Regiment.

I haven't reviewed his service file but it is likely to have his pre-officer record and details of his medical reviews within.

Steve.

• 8 months later...
Guest DavidJames

Hello - If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate any photograph images you may have of Capt. F R Berridge DSO MC.  Contactable on david.douglas500@btinternet.com  Kind regards and thanks in anticipation.  David

Here's one we prepared earlier.... (click on the title/name to link to an old topic)

Edited by Stebie9173

• 2 months later...

We posted the information about him on page 2 - see post #29, etc.

Steve.

• 1 year later...

Hello

I have purchased a copy of Northamptonshire and the Great War looking for a photograph of Capt William Dulley. I have failed to find him and I wondered if you could possibly give me a page reference.

kindest regards

Patricia ( Thompson-Wright)

He appears on page 56 in the group photograph of the 1/4th Battalion (seated, far right as we look). The key to the photograph is on an Addendum page before the Contents page.

I do have a little on his army career and non-army life (some of which is a bit personal). I can post the information if you would like).

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Thank you so much. I am embarrassed I didn’t see his name although I’m glad as I would be delighted to receive any other information you have. How best to give you my address?

kind regards

Patricia

Patricia,

I have sent you a message through the Forum message system.

Steve.

• 9 months later...

Folks,

Anything on 2nd Lt. Donald K. Cooper?  Ideally, I’m trying to track down his medals.  I have some other mementos he gathered in the months before his passing.  

Regards,

Conor

851BFB73-AF0F-4594-B646-0B18EC915A34.jpeg

• 10 months later...

Welcome to the forum

Find my Past has this

First name(s) C H
Last name Martyn
Year 1914-20
Service number -
Rank Second Lieutenant,Lieutenant,Captain
Second rank Lieutenant
Third rank Captain
Regiment Northamptonshire Regiment, Royal Engineers
Second corps Royal Engineers
Third corps Royal Engineers
Service record Rank: Second Lieutenant, Corps: Northamptonshire Regiment
Second service record Rank: Lieutenant, Corps: Royal Engineers
Third service record Rank: Captain, Corps: Royal Engineers
Image link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D3966787

george

On 07/10/2019 at 15:12, Flanners said:

Hi 

I am looking for information on CH Martyn Second Lieutenant  Northamptonshire Regiment 

From the Peerage

Captain Clive Harrison Martyn was the son of Charles Harrison Martyn. He married, firstly, Hon. Vera Pearl Jessel, daughter of Herbert Merton Jessel, 1st Baron Jessel and Maud Goldsmid, on 7 July 1925.2 He married, secondly, Hon. Phyllis Bethell, daughter of John Henry Bethell, 1st Baron Bethell and Florence Wyles, on 2 March 1933. He died on 4 January 1959. He gained the rank of Captain in the Royal Engineers.1 He was awarded the Military Cross (M.C.)

that should get you started

Ray

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I found today various WW1 training booklets, Including "Notes on Field Defences 1914"  "The NCO's Musketry Small book 1915" "Training Depot Battalion, Chatham Standing Orders 1915" they are marked to a R. P. Taylor 3rd Northamptonshire Regiment H Company.  He is shown on your list, I would be grateful of the information your may have.

Thanks

John

• 2 years later...

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help or point in the right direction of finding a photo of my great-grandfather, Frank Spencer (born George Bird) 8483. I have been researching him for quite a while and would love to find a photo to put a face to the information. He was in the Northamptonshire Regiment during WW1.   

Thank you

Kay

• 2 months later...