Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LinesMan 20 - New Year update

Smithmaps

OH Maps, mmm possibly.

Guy - if you're thinking OH maps then you might want to consider the brilliantly detailed maps from 4th Army maps in the 100 Days by Montgomery-Massingberd. To my mind these would be the best addition you can add.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Guy

You know that I am a fanatic with your maps and the additions you have made here are worth every penny. Just got them all on and I am very impressed/ I've looked around my area of interest and the 20000 maps add so much interest and information. Onwards and upwards that man! :thumbsup:

Jim

Guy - if you're thinking OH maps then you might want to consider the brilliantly detailed maps from 4th Army maps in the 100 Days by Montgomery-Massingberd. To my mind these would be the best addition you can add.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Jonathon,

They have been available on the Belgian Modern Backdrop disc for about 2 years, along with Haigs Despatches.

All that proves I suppose, is that our marketing is RUBBISH! :wacko:

Or you don't read your e mails........or both.

Guy

I have just used the 'find' tool and now know that there are 4 La Targettes on all the maps. Not that I needed to know that I was just trying it out - fantastic.

All we need now is for it to find all the trench names as well :whistle: sorry Guy - only joking.

Jim

I have just used the 'find' tool and now know that there are 4 La Targettes on all the maps. Not that I needed to know that I was just trying it out - fantastic.

All we need now is for it to find all the trench names as well :whistle: sorry Guy - only joking.

Jim

Jim,

We've looked at trench names quite seriously, and making such a database on LinesMan is not hard. So it is certainly possible.

It is just that if Jerry and I spent the time required, we would not be concentrating on further maps and enhancements..

What we need is for the users to get together and do the trench names piecemeal, as a job divvied up is always far less of a task.

Jerry will be posting some database building demos on our web page in the not too distant future if you fancy giving it a go.

All the best

Guy

Jonathon,

They have been available on the Belgian Modern Backdrop disc for about 2 years, along with Haigs Despatches.

All that proves I suppose, is that our marketing is RUBBISH! :wacko:

Or you don't read your e mails........or both.

Guy

Guy - obviously my fault. When I use the maps I normally use the series name/sector name and date to find the maps I require. I hadnt really paid much attention to the subsidiary maps. However, now I know they're there (and I took a look at a couple of them last night) I can feel a 4th Army in the Last 100 Days tour to F&F coming up!

Regards,

Jonathan S

Just bought Linesman 10 with Memory Map Nord Picardy disc and GPS thingy. Loaded maps on computer using external device as C drive full and all working well....its brill. Am learning how to use all features. Not yet up loaded onto thingy as I need to buy SD card with more memory!!!

Can you overlay maps onto aeriel photos?

Also just to add dealing with Linesman staff by phone and e mail is really good. So far 10/10 for customer services.

Thanks chaps...

Will order further discs when bank re loaded!!!

TT

Can you overlay maps onto aeriel photos?

You can overlay maps onto Google Earth as 'Overlays'. There is a really good thread about it here.

I followed it successfully. No-one was more surprised than I.

Simon.

Jim,

We've looked at trench names quite seriously, and making such a database on LinesMan is not hard. So it is certainly possible.

It is just that if Jerry and I spent the time required, we would not be concentrating on further maps and enhancements..

What we need is for the users to get together and do the trench names piecemeal, as a job divvied up is always far less of a task.

Jerry will be posting some database building demos on our web page in the not too distant future if you fancy giving it a go.

All the best

Guy

Wow! I thought I was in cloud cuckoo land suggesting that. I am willing to lend a hand - don't have tons of time but will certainly do my bit if it leads to an additional database. I'll do some Arras ones as I am looking at them most of my spare time anyway (when I remember what spare time was)

Jim

You can overlay maps onto Google Earth as 'Overlays'. There is a really good thread about it here.

I followed it successfully. No-one was more surprised than I.

Simon.

I have mentioned this before, but it has to be understood that the Trench maps and Google Earth are in different map projections. In laymans terms...THE MAPS ARE DIFFERENT SHAPES.

Trench maps will only overlay onto Google Earth as pretty pictures, and are not an acurate fit. This could only be achieved by performing a geodetic transform of one of the images between the two projections. Basically, by mathematically skewing one of the map sets to a very specific set of parameters, which is exceedingly complicated, and requires some very expensive software.

It would, however, be accurate if it were done the other way round.

If one were to register the Google images into LinesMan over the IGN (the GE images are more detailed) then the trench overlays would be accurate as you trace them on the trench map from one side of the screen to the other.

Otherwise, it is NOT possible to accurately overlay the two images together, pretty though it is.

If pretty is good enough, then that's fine, but I thought I would make the point, as it is an important one.

Guy

Thanks for that Guy - just when I had learnt to overlay on to GE :angry:

Generalising I know but if I overlay say 1 sq mile of Linesman on to GE, approx how far out would the trenches be?

Andy

Thanks for that Guy - just when I had learnt to overlay on to GE :angry:

Generalising I know but if I overlay say 1 sq mile of Linesman on to GE, approx how far out would the trenches be?

Andy

Andy,

Try it yourself on LinesMan.

Split the screen, with a trench map on one side and the IGN on the other side.

Now use the Track tool, and trace an accurate rectangle over the grid lines on the trench map. You only need four corner points, it is imaterial which ones you choose as long as it is rectangular.

The rectangle will be a true 90 degree corner shape on the trench map.

Now look at the rectangle overlaid on the IGN, and you will find it is a skewed shape.

This represents the projection difference, and the LinesMan tool compensates the overlay to correct the true positions of the overlay.

the bigger the area, the more noticeable the difference.

So if you take a rectangle of trench map and put it on GEarth, you are actually overlaying the Trench map screen rectangle directly onto the IGN side, without the compensation, and clearly the two are not the same at all.

Suffice to say that it works fine in very small areas, but gets progressively more of a problem the bigger the map you try to do.

This is the purpose of proper map Georeferencing, and trench map to G Earth overlays are a simplistic (but pretty) bodge that take no account of the maths. I ought to know... :w00t:

When you have done it, why don't you post a picture?

Have fun

Guy

• 7 months later...

Guy

Any update on the likely release of the Gallipoli disc? Sometime before next May would be personally appreciated!

Kind regards

Brian

Hi Guy,

I also am very intersted in securing a full Linesman outfit with the Gallipoli maps by May 2012 - am on same trip as Brian! Don't want to get lost and show myself up again!

Pete

Hi Guy.

RE:- #55, I would also like to offer my services.

Any news on the data-base that Jerry was doing. Regards. JIM