Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LinesMan 20 - New Year update

Smithmaps

Overall this is a terrific addition to the previous iterations of LinesMan.

3 whole DVD's of maps and nothing but maps.

I'm a very happy chappy.

One thing I've noticed, which may be a limitation of the Memory-map application? Or a glitch?;

Let's assume that the programme is running, maximised, on my desktop and showing me a map.

If I right-click on the map surface then I can point at 'Maps at Cursor' and a list of such maps pops up.

That list no longer includes any 10k scale maps, nor does it offer me the chance to scroll to them.

I can only see / scroll 20k and above.

The 10k maps still appear in the full Map List.

If I scroll the 'Maps at Cursor' list to the foot and click on 'Map list at Cursor' then the 10k maps appear in that list.

Is there a limit to the list of maps which can be shown in the pop-up list?

Is the only way to get 10k maps now to either select from the Map List or click on 'map list at Cursor' from the pop-up list?

Just a query. Not a complaint. Is anyone else seeing this?

Simon.

I installed mine last night, but have not really tried the new maps out yet. This weekend - I aim to. As ever I found I had to excercise a little imagination with the quick start instructions. Then the registration procedures and importing the new overlays all tested my simple mind, but i think that I got there in the end.

Keith

Overall this is a terrific addition to the previous iterations of LinesMan.

3 whole DVD's of maps and nothing but maps.

I'm a very happy chappy.

One thing I've noticed, which may be a limitation of the Memory-map application? Or a glitch?;

Let's assume that the programme is running, maximised, on my desktop and showing me a map.

If I right-click on the map surface then I can point at 'Maps at Cursor' and a list of such maps pops up.

That list no longer includes any 10k scale maps, nor does it offer me the chance to scroll to them.

I can only see / scroll 20k and above.

The 10k maps still appear in the full Map List.

If I scroll the 'Maps at Cursor' list to the foot and click on 'Map list at Cursor' then the 10k maps appear in that list.

Is there a limit to the list of maps which can be shown in the pop-up list?

Is the only way to get 10k maps now to either select from the Map List or click on 'map list at Cursor' from the pop-up list?

Just a query. Not a complaint. Is anyone else seeing this?

Simon.

Simon,

Our offer e mail detailed this issue. (That proves that nobody ever reads them! :D )We have added so many maps this time, and the Memory Map software currently has a limit to what can be displayed on Maps at Cursor at any one time. (the Memory-Map products with modern maps often only have 2 or 3 layers)

It simply means that one needs to get used to using the 'Map LIST' at cursor option instead. It does exactly the same job, plus you can also filter and sort, just like in the main map list.

Memory Map will change the software to accommodate the extreme numbers of layers that we are using, but it will be incorporated into a standard future re write from the USA, when of course they get time off from writing Android apps etc.

I hope it isn't an issue for you, as it only entails breaking perhaps a habit.

We may also add more layers when we add the French trench map product, so it will be a good new habit to have.

Thanks for all the kind words, it definately makes all the hours I have spent seem more worthwhile.

Guy

Simon,

Our offer e mail detailed this issue. (That proves that nobody ever reads them! :D )We have added so many maps this time, and the Memory Map software currently has a limit to what can be displayed on Maps at Cursor at any one time. (the Memory-Map products with modern maps often only have 2 or 3 layers)

It simply means that one needs to get used to using the 'Map LIST' at cursor option instead. It does exactly the same job, plus you can also filter and sort, just like in the main map list.

Memory Map will change the software to accommodate the extreme numbers of layers that we are using, but it will be incorporated into a standard future re write from the USA, when of course they get time off from writing Android apps etc.

I hope it isn't an issue for you, as it only entails breaking perhaps a habit.

We may also add more layers when we add the French trench map product, so it will be a good new habit to have.

Thanks for all the kind words, it definately makes all the hours I have spent seem more worthwhile.

Guy

No, no. Not a problem at all. Very happy, as indicated previously.

I suspected it was an application limit.

(Who reads e-mails? That's not the point of them. I got as far as 'Click on this link' and that was it for me. Wasn't interested in the rest.)

I'm getting to old to learn new tricks... :blink:

French maps?! More delights to anticipate..

Simon.

I have just ordered mine; please don't tell Mrs Ice Tiger. Many thanks to those who have it before me as I too would not have read the (not so) small print.

Anything else I need to know?

Andy

Looking forward to collecting mine from the Post office tomorrow.

French maps????? drooling in anticipation.... Please tell us more Guy!

Looking forward to collecting mine from the Post office tomorrow.

French maps????? drooling in anticipation.... Please tell us more Guy!

Andy, not really. You have to 'import' the new overlay layers manually this time, for various technical reasons, but it is simple enough and the instructions are in the box.

Charles, yes we've been to France so far three times with our very expensive scanner, and have about 450 done. The dilemma is that the archive is as yet not complete, and we are not too sure whether to proceed with what we have, as they are better than nothing, or keep trying to fill all the holes!

My gut feeling is to press on with Disc 1, and see if we can add more over time. But it would have been nice to have completed it properly. there are possibilities to do it, but it all takes so long to fall into place.

Anyway, we really need to concentrate on selling this one for now, because if nobody buys it, there definately won't be further discs.

Guy

Have not yet bought the new set of maps because I am trying to find space on my hard disk for yet more maps. Wish I had installed my Linesman stuff on 'the other' partition on my hard drive which seems to be almost empty but everything automatically loads into a partition which is almost full. Trying to move stuff about without creating a cock up.

Why the hell do disks on newish computers have two partitions any way?

Len

Andy, not really. You have to 'import' the new overlay layers manually this time.....

Thanks Guy; looking forward to receiving it :w00t:

Andy

Have not yet bought the new set of maps because I am trying to find space on my hard disk for yet more maps. Wish I had installed my Linesman stuff on 'the other' partition on my hard drive which seems to be almost empty but everything automatically loads into a partition which is almost full. Trying to move stuff about without creating a cock up.

Why the hell do disks on newish computers have two partitions any way?

Len

Len.

there are 3 x DVD's stuffed with maps in this package, around 12GB of data.

If you can create enough space for just one full DVD (about 4.2GB) then you can do a standard install to your primary partition, then immediately cut the Maps_V5 folder from there and paste it into the other partition. it will take some time to move that quantity of data from one drive to another.

That frees up the space on primary for another run.

So repeat for DVD #2, and then again for DVD #3.

All of your new data is now on the other partition.

Start the Memory-Map application.

You may well be presented with a dialogue box which asks you if you want to add any new folders to the list where maps are stored.

If you aren't then select the Map menu, then Map List.

When the Map List appears there is a button offering you the option to 'Refresh Map List'. Select this.

Use the 'Add Folder' function to add your new folder (from the secondary partition) into the list of folders which MM will search to find maps.

There are 3 tick-boxes below the white window where the map folders are listed. From habit I always tick all three before clicking on 'OK'.

The application now scans all the folders listed and all their subfolders, builing the map database from scratch and presenting it to you in the 'Map List' view.

Presto! your new maps are now available in MM.

There is no reason (free space permitting) why you cannot move any pre-existing Map folders from the Primary to the other partition too.

Use the 'Add Folder' function from 'Refresh Map List' to ensure that all folders, on any partition, appear in the list window before clicking on OK to rediscover them all in their new location.

CAUTION: If you move the MM application files over to the secondary partition then any shortcuts, etc. that start MM from the C: drive will no longer work. Simply edit them to point at the new folder location. No need to panic, MM is still installed.

Moving folders from the primary to the other partition will also have the beneficial effect of freeing up space on the primary.

For Windows that will assist system performance.

After any significant amounts of data are added, or moved, perform a full defragment of your hard drives using the Windows Defrag tool.

Simon.

Simon,

thanks for the time you have taken to send me that very useful information. I had suspected I could do that but was reluctant to just dive in. Meanwhile I am going through my hard disks to find out just what I can get rid of. There is a lot of stuff pre installed by Toshiba on my main laptop. That is going. I am also going to whittle down what I have on my MSI netbook, the one that goes into the battlefields with me. Hopefully you will not hear a scream of despair as something important disappears never to be seen again.

Len

Len.

there are 3 x DVD's stuffed with maps in this package, around 12GB of data.

If you can create enough space for just one full DVD (about 4.2GB) then you can do a standard install to your primary partition, then immediately cut the Maps_V5 folder from there and paste it into the other partition. it will take some time to move that quantity of data from one drive to another.

That frees up the space on primary for another run.

So repeat for DVD #2, and then again for DVD #3.

All of your new data is now on the other partition.

Start the Memory-Map application.

You may well be presented with a dialogue box which asks you if you want to add any new folders to the list where maps are stored.

If you aren't then select the Map menu, then Map List.

When the Map List appears there is a button offering you the option to 'Refresh Map List'. Select this.

Use the 'Add Folder' function to add your new folder (from the secondary partition) into the list of folders which MM will search to find maps.

There are 3 tick-boxes below the white window where the map folders are listed. From habit I always tick all three before clicking on 'OK'.

The application now scans all the folders listed and all their subfolders, builing the map database from scratch and presenting it to you in the 'Map List' view.

Presto! your new maps are now available in MM.

There is no reason (free space permitting) why you cannot move any pre-existing Map folders from the Primary to the other partition too.

Use the 'Add Folder' function from 'Refresh Map List' to ensure that all folders, on any partition, appear in the list window before clicking on OK to rediscover them all in their new location.

CAUTION: If you move the MM application files over to the secondary partition then any shortcuts, etc. that start MM from the C: drive will no longer work. Simply edit them to point at the new folder location. No need to panic, MM is still installed.

Moving folders from the primary to the other partition will also have the beneficial effect of freeing up space on the primary.

For Windows that will assist system performance.

After any significant amounts of data are added, or moved, perform a full defragment of your hard drives using the Windows Defrag tool.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, I like this, but I'm worried now, as Simon seems better at this stuff than me! :w00t:

In a nutshell Len, you can stuff the maps where you like, as long as the "Refresh map list" directories point to the right location. You can even run them off the disc, (probably a bit slow though) or off a plugged in external hard drive which are quite cheap. As long as the software is pointed to where they are, it works.

You have to ensure that the plugged in disc always registers up with the same drive letter. If you use memory sticks, often the drive letter assignment can change occasionally, and the result is that the maps are not found. But if you keep an eye on this it works fine.

Have fun

Guy

Thanks for the information Guy. Away to count up my shekels now.

Len

Thanks Simon, I like this, but I'm worried now, as Simon seems better at this stuff than me! :w00t:

In a nutshell Len, you can stuff the maps where you like, as long as the "Refresh map list" directories point to the right location. You can even run them off the disc, (probably a bit slow though) or off a plugged in external hard drive which are quite cheap. As long as the software is pointed to where they are, it works.

You have to ensure that the plugged in disc always registers up with the same drive letter. If you use memory sticks, often the drive letter assignment can change occasionally, and the result is that the maps are not found. But if you keep an eye on this it works fine.

Have fun

Guy

Guy,

The perks of working in my 'proper' job, as a Storage Architect in corporate IT.

Figuring out high-capacity & high-performance disk systems and disk space for clients is what pays for my bread & butter.

And for my purchases of LinesMan, of course!

Keep up YOUR good work,

Simon.

Guy,

The perks of working in my 'proper' job, as a Storage Architect in corporate IT.

Figuring out high-capacity & high-performance disk systems and disk space for clients is what pays for my bread & butter.

And for my purchases of LinesMan, of course!

Keep up YOUR good work,

Simon.

OK so you ARE better than me! :lol:

Saved me a job anyway....

It is nice to see that there is growing 'LinesMan' expertise out there, as there is loads of useful stuff that you can all teach each other.

Thanks again

Guy

Mine is ordered - I am an addict and it's all your fault Guy! :P

Jim

Mine just arrived!!! I can't wait until the C.O. lets me out to play :P . Antony

:w00t: Arrived today - Can't wait until the weekend when I have time to load it & play :w00t:

Andy

no e-mail for me!! i am looking for some discount here guy :D

Nick

If you are an existing LinesMan10 user, then you should have had an e mail offer with a small discount.

My apologies if it has not arrived.

If you pm me your e mail adress, I will get another sent.

Guy

Sorry for the short delay.

The web site is now updated, and LinesMan20 is now available for new users.

It will function as a stand alone product, or will interact with any of the other map DVD's seamlessly.

Full details are on the first post on this thread.

It has more maps than Linesman10, with a wider coverage area, but the smaller scale means that any GPS function will be less accurate. It really depends on your needs.

Remember also that 3D viewing is only available by purchasing one of the modern backdrop products too.

All the best

Guy

Couldn't wait until the weekend so loaded it yesterday evening & was up playing for half the night - I have even been doing GE overlays (something new for me).

Guy; thanks for the sore eyes today B)

Andy

Up and running with the update. Very impressive... Linesman really is a fantastic product.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

AGWR

PS Any chance of the OH maps in a future release?

Up and running with the update. Very impressive... Linesman really is a fantastic product.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

AGWR

PS Any chance of the OH maps in a future release?

Thanks chaps

Andy, that's alright, I've got sore eyes myself already from building it!

AGWR. Thanks for the kind words....

OH Maps, mmm possibly. We did Haigs Despatches maps on the Belgian disk, which are quite detailed. Just haven't got round to the OH, as there are already cd's around with them on.

If we thought that there was enough demand we cold do them.

Guy