Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LinesMan 20 - New Year update

Smithmaps

Happy New Year to all.

Just thought I would update on the progress.

Final registered discs have been delivered to Memory-Map this week.

The discs contain:

1067 x 1:20,000 scale maps, most are previously unpublished, except those included on discs by the WFA.

This is the entire collection of 1:20,000 maps held by the IWM, plus 31 additions seperately sourced by us.

50 x 1:10,000 scale maps, which have turned up since our LinesMan 10 disc, which help to 'complete' that archive.

85 x 1:40,000 scale maps, which are availble individually, plus we have 'merged them to create a solid backdrop as an alternative view.

Disc total 1202 maps

We have also included a selection of index maps that are relevant to the GW. They will be listable by typing 'Key' into the Map List search box.

We hope to have it all ready within about a month, but don't hold me too it, as these things are fluid to say the least.

The maps are geo all referenced, and will install and interact with our previous discs.

Because they are a smaller scale, the GPS will not be quite as accurate, but they do give a wider area view on a pda, which is useful for general touring.

The 1:20,000 maps cover a much wider area than the 1:10,000 scale, and contain considerably more previously unseen trenches. Especially British in 1918.

I enclose a taster screen view, showing the new merged 40,000 layer.

I will post further as we get any firm dates.

Cheers

Guy

(Note: this post does not break Forum Rules, as it is agreed that LinesMan is identified by the GWF as a cottage industry)

post-12226-019479900 1294586482.jpg

Hi Guy,

my main Christmas present was the Belgium map DVD. I think these new maps may well be my 59th birthday present in February. If it comes out later well I'll have a birthday present and the new trench maps when they appear! All in time for 3 up and coming battlefield :D trips

Len

Does it mean you live in a cottage Guy? :P

(I am allowed to be cheeky 'cos he knows I am bound to get a copy!)

Jim

Does it mean you live in a cottage Guy? :P

(I am allowed to be cheeky 'cos he knows I am bound to get a copy!)

Jim

No Jim, sadly...Still, if I did, I suppose I could re-thatch it with trench maps, I have so many! :whistle:

Guy

I must start dropping pre-birthday hints around the house.

:whistle:

My birthday is in August Ken.

I've got NO intention of waiting THAT long for them...

Simon.

My birthday is in August Ken.

I've got NO intention of waiting THAT long for them...

Simon.

Gents, your enthusiasm is heartwarming, as it has taken so many hours to complete, with little real idea of how many might be sold. It has been a year since the scans were done on our own scanner in the IWM. Scanning alone took over a week full time.

There is no connection with this project and the efforts in the IWM by the WFA. It is entirely seperate.

Price is not quite finalised until we are clearer on production costs, but we will endeavour to keep it low. We will announce that very shortly.

Guy

Guy - Thanks for update on progress - looking forward to buying it. Early birthday present to self, I think.

Charles

• 1 month later...

LinesMan20

Good news, this should be available to existing LinesMan customers on Monday, and current License holders should look out for an e mail with a small discount offer.

There will be a short delay for new customers while we sort out a couple of web page issues, but new purchase through the web site should be available at the end of next week.

But I suspect most will fall into the first category.

Guy

Thanks Guy

Great news - Just in time for my summer visits :w00t:

Andy

Bit off the topic but any idea if Memory Map are going to supply Android based software so Linesman can be used on IPad and other new tablet devices?

Regards

John

Check out MemoryMap's website.

The App for iPad / iPhone is availble for free download from the AppStore.

A friend had it installed on his iPad back in early November, with the full Linesman product, and was dribbling over it....

Not sure about other tablet devices (Come on Blackberry, get it sorted! )

Simon.

Bit off the topic but any idea if Memory Map are going to supply Android based software so Linesman can be used on IPad and other new tablet devices?

Regards

John

John,

I believe MM are working on an Android App, but I can give no dates.

Just one small point for those who aspire to the IPad. Remember that the IPad functions in the same way as an IPhone, and will only run the Pocket Navigator part of the software. The full product still has to be loaded onto a PC first. Just so there is no confusion.

Thanks to those who have ordered.

Guy

Ordered last night, standing by, although realistically I'll be fortunate if my copy arrives before my departure for Belgium on Friday. Still, I plan another foray after Easter, and hopefully a more leisurely one, so I must curb my impatience.

Keith

Check out MemoryMap's website.

The App for iPad / iPhone is availble for free download from the AppStore.....

I also run it on my iPhone but unless things have changed, no doubt Guy can advise, Linesman will not run on the free "light" version. You will have to download the full MemoryMap iPhone app at a cost of £19.99.

Received my email today so will be adding Linesman 20 soon; if only iPhones had a memory expansion card.

Andy

Thanks for the information re the Android version.

Memory Map say they 'are working on it but no idea of timescale'. Apparently plenty of people have asked for it and they hope it will be sooner rather than later.

Regards

John

Blimey!

Less than 48 hours after ordering and it's arrived.

Great service.

Will be installing after work, this evening.

Simon.

Just got it. Brilliant, Lines Man have managed to improve perfection! The 40,000 are great for over views. Pretty new front end, always makes you think you have a new toy although it's exactly the same. I don't begrudge a single penny spent on Lines man, although I have maps of my own, the ease of use and variants ensure I seldom use them now. (though they are nice to touch now and again!)

Guy, Ordered yesterday morning and received this morning. Installed and up and running. Superb product. Many thanks for your help and a pat on the back to the guys in the back room.

John.