Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horses and Mules after the War

Guest MaryFM

Guest stevenbec

I am unware of any AIF horses making it to Anzac.

The only animals were I beleive Donk's.

The 1914 date may alude to its movement and arrival in Egypt not on Gallipoli purhaps?

S.B

Pat & Steve,

As usual I am open to correction, however the pictorial evidence suggests to me that some AIF horses did make it to Gallipoli

Nigel Steel in his ‘Gallipoli’ [battleground Europe series of Leo Cooper] uses a photograph of ‘The HQ of the New Zealand and Australian Division above the centre of Anzac Cove on the lower slopes of Plugge’s Plateau’ [ref Q13828 (IWM?)] which shows a line of 25-30 horses tethered in the foreground

Philip J Haythornthwaite in his ‘Gallipoli 1915’ [Osprey’s Campaign Series] has a slightly blurred photograph of a despatch rider in a felt hat racing “at full speed” past a temporary graveyard at Anzac

The alternative is that these were horses supplied by the British; this however seems to me to be unlikely, as the AIF had certainly brought its own at least as far as Egypt.

Regarding the Egypt and Palestine theatre; I see from Michael Young’s history of the ASC that in September 1918 they were operating there in support not only of 466,750 men, but also of 159,900 animals. Even allowing for camels, mules and donkeys this figure must also represent a very large number of horses.

Returning to Gallipoli, Michael Young mentions that at the withdrawal some 5,000 animals were evacuated and redistributed to Egypt, France and Salonika; 508 mules were however shot.

Regards

Michael D.R.

Guest dinkidi

Now who would even think of "correcting" Michael DR.

Am now reminded of Suvla Derby & stories of "totalisator betting" on what landmark they would reach before 'copping one'. [similar to the beach challenge where first swimmer to be wounded collected the kitty]

ooRoo

Pat

post-4-1088862482.jpg

Pat,

That’s the picture all right; the hat seems to suggest that he’s a Kiwi [?]

I certainly hope that he made it in one piece

Steel & Hart in their ‘Defeat at Gallipoli’ have a quote from a Capt Wilfred d’A. Collings which confirms that some horses were indeed shot at the end of the campaign, but they also have the following;

“Not everyone was willing to co-operate in the slaughter of their animal friends

‘We went along to the dump and parked the ambulance, we let the horses free – the sergeant had said shoot them but we never had any guns and in any case it’s not so easy to shoot a horse. We stripped them of the traces, saddles, bits, headpieces, dumped them and let the horses go.’ Gunner Harold Barrow

Such acts of disobedience seem to have been quite common.

‘I knew that the Turks wouldn’t hurt a donkey so I left him there with plenty of hay so I knew he’d be alright, our moke. I didn’t see why he should be shot.’ Private Robert Bird”

Regards

Michael D.R.

Guest dinkidi

Michael.

Given that the picture would be August or later, the hat would be a few monts out of Q-store, probably been to Suvla & back once or twice, & Maay just have lost that distinctive shape. The attached pic was taken way back on May 11, & shows the remnant of the 225 strong D Co 7 Battalion after that first fortnight.

ooRoo

Pat

post-4-1088890385.jpg

Guest MaryFM

Hi Harry ( sorry don't know your name)

Thank you for posting the pictures of the horses, Quicksilver looked so proud with the medals on display.

As a horse lover, often when I come across photographs of the horses at work during the war I often wondered if the ones that did survive were able to have a "happy" life, or were put to sleep due the trauma they endured. Having looked after horses & ponies for many years and know how high strung they can be at the slightest noise or strange sight. It shows the trust they had in their riders to venture through what they did during the war, it's nice to know that some of the horses had a good life afterwards.

Thanks

Mary

Hi Harry ( sorry don't know your name)

Thank you for posting the pictures of the horses, Quicksilver looked so proud with the medals on display.

As a horse lover, often when I come across photographs of the horses at work during the war I often wondered if the ones that did survive were able to have a "happy" life, or were put to sleep due the trauma they endured. Having looked after horses & ponies for many years and know how high strung they can be at the slightest noise or strange sight. It shows the trust they had in their riders to venture through what they did during the war, it's nice to know that some of the horses had a good life afterwards.

Thanks

Mary

Mary,My Pleasure

It is nice to know that @ least some of these Magnificent Beasts came through the Maelstrom & had a relatively fortunate "retirement" amongst their contemporaries,due as usual to a handful of caring souls.

Regards Roger{"Harry"}

Heres another picture for you MaryFM,{and for our antipodean cousins}It made me :D

A Group of ALH Bandsmen who have substituted their Horses for "Donks";play "Waltzing Matilda" for a Brass Hat following the fighting in Syria in November 1918

Guest dinkidi

Mary

Roger didn't show you the Cloak Room Attendants for that performance.

The Donkey on the left is Sgt Ned Kelly of the notorious Bellyfeeder gang, the other is "Hatrack"

ooRoo

Pat

post-4-1089009105.jpg

Now who would even think of "correcting" Michael DR.

Pat, I’m not much good at electronic humour [see above – sorry Tim] and I have no quick riposte for you, except that if truth is stranger than fiction, then it is also funnier

Everyone here keeps me right – even our 12 year old retriever, who tells me the route for our evening walk!

Best regards

Michael D.R.

I wish to add a few comments that I hope will be usefull to someone

My father was Capt. Starr F. Spurr, a Veterinary Officer, the 124th Bde of the RFA .

This unit was part of the Divisional artillery of the 37th Div. During the Winter of

1918-19 he spent some time in Flanders, doing some demobilization work connected

with disposal of the Army horses. He told me that the horses were sorted into three

major classes. Some were sick, worn out or injured and not fit for service. This group

were shot and skinned and the hides sold to tanners. Some of the best riding

horses were kept by the army and were sent back to England to end up in units

such as Ceremonial Guards etc. The largest group were sold by auction mostly to

Belgian farmers. He said that there was a serious shortage of horses on the farms

in Flanders in the spring of 1919 and he saw rows of men lined up in the field turning

the soil over with spades. There were some problems with horses ending up in

the hands of Belgian farmers without a bill of sale. Part of my father’s job was to see

that appropriate procedures and documentation were in place.

David Spurr

Guest dinkidi

G'day Dave

I am certain that I have seen pictures of the "Belgian Auctions" on the Aust War Museum Collections, but have been unable to find them lately. I think some were in Poperinge.

ooRoo

Pat

• 4 months later...
       ............,& other retired Military Horses including "Warrior" the Mount of Lord Mottistone{Brig.Gen Seeley} & On occassion Sir John French;One of the most Famous Mounts of the War "Quicksilver",the Steed of Col;Sir Percy Laurie,who continued in service as his Mount ,as DAC Scotland Yard,& presided @ many post War Parades  & Processions,Wearing his?:Order of the Blue Cross;Pip Squeak & Wilfred in the Headband & Noseband of his Bridle,he had started his Military service in 1916 with Gen Sir Aylmer Hunter ~ Westons Staff,being handed to Laurie as his Mount,He was wounded by Shrapnel on the Somme & returned to London in 1919 after spending some time with the army of the Rhine,whereupon he joined the Police with his Master,During his time with the Police Quicksilver raised £275 on behalf of the RVC donated into his Nosebag!@ the age of 28 he was still riding to hounds with Sir Percy!By 1938 it was Officially Stated that All Old surviving W/O Horses in France & Belgium had been Repatriated for retirement in the UK!

Quicksilver,Mount of:~Lt.Col;DAC; Sir Percy Laurie

ref: Posting "Commanders Horses",just to bring this Posting to the fore, "Warrior & Quicksilver" Pictures Page 2.