Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

2nd Lieutenant Robert Carrick Barr, No.10 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps ( Formerly a Sergeant No.1606 in the Canadian Service Corps)

Shot down in a BE2g while acting as the observer during a photographic flight over France on December 11th, 1916. He was 22 years old.

2nd Lieutenant Glenny William Dampier was his pilot. 

Both are buried in Gorre British and Indian cemetery in France.

592341_1 (1).jpg

Edited by Sturmmann1918

Pte (Charles) William Soanes.   Enl. 1904-1912.   Pre-War Cycle Maker.   Mob. London. 5/8/14.  Wounded in action. 19/9/14 Bullet wound eye.  Attached for garrison duty No.11 Stationary Hospital. 10/11/14. 

"To Mr Jack Hobbs. c/o Lacy & Coy( Cycle Makers) 13 Elizabeth St. Belgravia. London W. England. 

No.11260.  Pte. W Soanes. 2nd Grenadier Guards(Attached)  No11 Stationary Hospital Rouen France. 

Dear Jack,

Just a line wishing you good health and the best of luck. How many can you recognise on this photo?"

Scan_20171217.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

" To E(thel) Harne, 27 Rutland Road, West Bridgeford, Nottingham" 

Dvr. William Ernest Harne. MS/3982. 3rd Cav. Amm. Park A.S.C.  

B. Ledbury, Herefordshire.  Motor Driver, aged 26 on enlistment in London 8/9/14.  F&F 8/10/14. 

Later transferred;  Pte. 72541 2/6th Notts & Derby.

Scan_20171216.jpg

'Brigade Camp, Lyndhurst', New Forest. For those familiar with the area, I'd bet the photographer would have been standing in the middle of the main road to Southampton, with the Beaulieu Road disappearing diagonally across this scene (and past Bolton's Bench, out of shot, to the left).

Unfortunately I have no info on who these men were, and to my very untrained eye there seems to be little in the way of distinguishing features as far as their uniforms are concerned - but would love to be proved wrong. Any ideas?

WW1Lyndhurst.jpg

20 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Pte (Charles) William Soanes.   Enl. 1904-1912.   Pre-War Cycle Maker.   Mob. London. 5/8/14.  Wounded in action. 19/9/14 Bullet wound eye.  Attached for garrison duty No.11 Stationary Hospital. 10/11/14. 

"To Mr Jack Hobbs. c/o Lacy & Coy( Cycle Makers) 13 Elizabeth St. Belgravia. London W. England. 

No.11260.  Pte. W Soanes. 2nd Grenadier Guards(Attached)  No11 Stationary Hospital Rouen France. 

Dear Jack,

Just a line wishing you good health and the best of luck. How many can you recognise on this photo?"

Scan_20171217.jpg

Is the man standing right a red-cap? If so, two oddities: a Geneva Cross, and no ranking. It was usual, I believe, for all MPs to have at least LCpl appointment. Indeed, my two uncles RAF Police ["snowdrops"] 1939-45 were acting corporals, there being no lower RAF rank granting the exercise of command at that time

2 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Is the man standing right a red-cap? If so, two oddities: a Geneva Cross, and no ranking. It was usual, I believe, for all MPs to have at least LCpl appointment. Indeed, my two uncles RAF Police ["snowdrops"] 1939-45 were acting corporals, there being no lower RAF rank granting the exercise of command at that time

I took it to be a waterproof cover.

1 hour ago, Triumph2000 said:

'Brigade Camp, Lyndhurst', New Forest. For those familiar with the area, I'd bet the photographer would have been standing in the middle of the main road to Southampton, with the Beaulieu Road disappearing diagonally across this scene (and past Bolton's Bench, out of shot, to the left).

Unfortunately I have no info on who these men were, and to my very untrained eye there seems to be little in the way of distinguishing features as far as their uniforms are concerned - but would love to be proved wrong. Any ideas?

WW1Lyndhurst.jpg

Centre chap, R.W.F?

WW1Lyndhurst.jpg.c5d1688157533cb1ef1a31d19c7ccad5 (2).jpg

R.A. Tea break.

photographer. Tidbury Bros. The Studio,Pangbourne

Scan_20171221.jpg

"William Roach, Eva and Nells' Brother"  

William Alfred Roach.  B. Exeter 1901.

Scan_20171025 (8).jpg

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

R.A. Tea break.

photographer. Tidbury Bros. The Studio,Pangbourne  Interesting to note that even back then they wore their hats backwards as do most young people here(the two chaps sitting)

Scan_20171221.jpg

That's a classy card!

Mike.

12 hours ago, MikeyH said:

That's a classy card!

Mike.

yes very nice, didn't  know the Straths (Calvary regt had a machine gun section)

D Company, 2/4 Royal Berkshire Regiment. J. A. Calver, Builder and Contractor, could obviously spot a marketing opportunity, and thanks to him I think the location of this one is Grove Road, Chelmsford.

2-4RoyalBerks_GroveRdChelmsford sharpened-1.jpg

JACalver.jpg

"F" Company, 9th (Cyclist) Battalion, Hampshire Regiment. I assume the photo was taken in Southampton (I hope so, have just written a book on the town and this pic is in it), unless the Edwin Jones van was requisitioned?

9thHantsReg_Cyclists.jpg

Fantastic photograph Triumph2000. I believe Edwin Jones & Co. Department Store (now Debenhams) in Southampton was the largest on the South Coast. 

Marc

7 hours ago, Triumph2000 said:

"F" Company, 9th (Cyclist) Battalion, Hampshire Regiment. I assume the photo was taken in Southampton (I hope so, have just written a book on the town and this pic is in it), unless the Edwin Jones van was requisitioned?    could be requisition (Plaque on side of veh   baggage  stores & supplies)?, unless just placed there for photo 

9thHantsReg_Cyclists.jpg

Royal Engineers, No.2 Coy. Recruiting Depot. Clipstone Camp. 1916. 

Service No.s are visible on shirts and braces.  

Back row. R-L.  

167284. 2/Cpl Thomas Bliss. Age.18. Apprentice Chemist.   "M" Coy. 3rd Batt. Special Brigade.

167210. John Humphrey Ingham. Age. 23. B. Durham.  33rd Fortress Coy.

167649. James Smith. Age. 28. Served Overseas as Pte. 55454. 24th Manchester Reg.

168383. 2/Cpl. Robert H. Philbey.  WR/256147. 

166793. Spr. Edwin S. Weller.

Second row kneeling. Far R/H.

either. 

167303. Spr. David Teesdal Easterby. Age. 32. Painter. 15th Field Coy.

or

167393. 2/Cpl. Leonard Henry Newbery. Age. 29. Teacher.  Clerk. 288 Coy.

Scan_20171229 (5).jpg

" Barker Venting 1894 - 1945.  1914. King's Royal Rifle. Gassed Twice"

Rfn. R/6690. 7th K.R.R.C.   Enl. 10/11/14.     War Hospital Dundee. 11/10/16.  

L/Cpl. 554536. 8th Russian Labour Battalion.  Disc. Sickness 19/10/18.

His brother Maurice served as Pte.12886 Lancs. Fus.  later  Pte. 32930. 10th Lincolns.   K.i.A. 9/4/17

Scan_20171231.jpg

" Trooper J. Williams 1503  3/1 Welsh Horse.  Slwch Camp Brecon"

Land for Slwch Camp was purchased in August 1914. In 1939 the camp was enlarged and renamed Dering Lines, it  is now the British Army Infantry Battle School.

Scan_20171229 (2).jpg

Soldier of the Manchester Regiment.

s-l1600.jpg

1916, location unknown (but possibly Chiseldon/Chisledon?). The Army Cyclist Corps Corporal seated middle row left is my Great Grandad, L. W. Waring. He wrote the following on the back of the postcard:

"With the R.E. Sgts, all regulars, most of them have been to France. The stout chap on right is the tailor. The old gent next to me arranged for this to be taken so he would have something to look at when the war is over. He has taken an interest in me as he has a son in the Cyclists who is going out on Sunday."

Great Grandad became a Sergeant himself the same year this photo was taken. Might he and the other Cyclist Corporal here (front row) have been on some kind of training for Sergeants-to-be? 

I've also just noticed that fella peeping through the bushes on the left...

LWW_RESgts.jpg

Edited by Triumph2000
words