Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Carew - who was he

corisande

18 minutes ago, William malone said:

thanks to Ipt for your input but I think if Dorcus did not marry again after captain Richard Herbert, then she could surely not have been buried as Hutchinson, and I have no concrete info on any other marriage, so no change of name to help me find out what happened to her. Thanks to anyone related or not that might know some thing.

william.

Perhaps i've got it wrong then. I had found the following;

Dorcas E H Carew married Fernald M Corelli in Slilsby, Lincs in 1933,

Dorcas E H Carew married Richard Herbert in Surrey Northern in 1939,

Dorcas E Herbert married Richard Johnson in Fulham in 1945

Dorcas E Johnson married Roy Hutchinson in Surrey North Eastern in 1947.

Dorcas Eve Hutchinson died in Richmond Upon Thames in 1979.

I would go with IPT on those  marriages. If you needed, the certificates would give you final proof

Still not a sniff of a photo of Major Carew himself !

England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007 Birth, Marriage & Death

And a fairly detailed Family Tree (FWIW) on Ancestry - click,

Name:  Dorcas Eve Hutchinson
Birth:  4 Mar 1913
Edited by corisande

5 hours ago, IPT said:

Thank you for your kind attention to my quest, your fine detail to the dates and marriages are of great value to our family,I was thrown off course by the post by Maxwilliam dated 2015, stating that Dorcus was his mother and it seemed from the Gellibrand family tree,that Hutchinson was her first marrige, so therefore I believe you are correct,I wonder if Maxwilliam is still alive.

IPT, thank you for your help,how on earth did you find this info I have felt all at sea with it and had not the evidence or skill to find all of the marriages, I must also tell you that Fernald m Corelli and Dorcus had divorced, he was not deceased at the time of her marriage to captain Richard Herbert. Please keep in touch, if I find out any more I will of course post it.

kind regards

william.

4 hours ago, corisande said:

England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007 Birth, Marriage & Death

And a fairly detailed Family Tree (FWIW) on Ancestry - click,

Name:  Dorcas Eve Hutchinson
Birth:  4 Mar 1913

4 hours ago, corisande said:

I would go with IPT on those  marriages. If you needed, the certificates would give you final proof

Thank you corisande I will take your valuable advice and definitely go with the marriages and info from IPT.

If we find a photo of major Carew in our family archive, I will post it with pleasure 

kind regards

william.

Edited by William malone
Spelling mistake

Some extracts from Lt K.E. Wooton's diary;

"Jack was Officer Carew’s dog, a white fox terrier who was aboard our tank a lot of the time. He often took a walk in to no mans land and wished to make the acquaintance with another dog on the other side who had caught his eye. He had no trouble in walking the 100 yards to the other side and had no fear. We watched him and admired. At Ypres in the summer of 1917 he jumped on to a lorry. This was the last we saw of poor Jack. Carew was inconsolable and after endless enquiries we found out he had been killed by a shell"

"'Captain Carew, our section commander dashed madly about to try and get our tank up to an impossible speed. He imagined a tank could behave like a new motor car. Heavens, how heart breaking it was to guide a tank over the frightful ground. Long lines of mules followed us carrying shells and stumbling over the broken ground.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311867/Hero-soldier-Kenneth-Woottons-amazing-diary-drawings-WWI-horrors.html#ixzz0zWZ6QQJP

Edited by IPT

Thanks IPT for that bit on Carew's life as a tank commander.  You always seem better than I at finding these bits :-)

I have updated Major Carew's page- click on Cairo Gang with this and on his grand daughter Dorcas

On 3 November 2016 at 18:20, IPT said:

IPT thanks for the solid information about Dorcus Eve Hutchinson, don't suppose you have any info on the date and month of her death, can't seem to find it, her daughter and granddaughter would be most grateful.

many thanks.

William.

On 12 November 2016 at 18:31, William malone said:

IPT thanks for the solid information about Dorcus Eve Hutchinson, don't suppose you have any info on the date and month of her death, can't seem to find it, her daughter and granddaughter would be most grateful.

many thanks.

William.

Maxwilliam are you out there, please post again with reference to you're mother Dorcus Eve Hutchinson, her daughter would like to know the exact date in June 1979 that she passed away.

Is there a grave that she might visit,sorry to keep on, trying to tie up this one loose end on the family tree.

william.

On 12 November 2016 at 18:31, William malone said:

many thanks.

William.

On 3 November 2016 at 19:20, corisande said:

Saw a photo on site link Cairo gang, major Carew date of birth and death, photo of what could be him leaning against a wall with a regiment beret,and his hands in his pockets ?.

william

On 11/3/2016 at 17:42, William malone said:

don't suppose you have any info on the date and month of her death

Sorry, the death record only states 2nd Qtr 1979 (so April, May or June). You might have to purchase the death certificate if you want the date.

I did check the Richmond burial records, which are online, but she wasn't there - http://www2.richmond.gov.uk/lbrburials/(S(wwrtvhsqnmtygm31lqjxjbjb))/Search.aspx

I suppose she may have been buried elsewhere. I'm not sure if cremations would appear on the above records.

15 hours ago, IPT said:

Sorry, the death record only states 2nd Qtr 1979 (so April, May or June). You might have to purchase the death certificate if you want the date.

I did check the Richmond burial records, which are online, but she wasn't there - http://www2.richmond.gov.uk/lbrburials/(S(wwrtvhsqnmtygm31lqjxjbjb))/Search.aspx

I suppose she may have been buried elsewhere. I'm not sure if cremations would appear on the above records.

Thank you so much ror your help yet again,IPT.

i will look at that, have you any idea how I might find Maxwilliam Hutchinson, he posted in 2015 I Have posted out to him on this fantastic site, but no-response, he did want to know if anyone was intrested in major Carew, he is my wife's great grandfather, so we are very intrested in any info on his mother Dorcus, as she is my wife's mother, and for her, the knowledge that she might have a half brother still alive is of great value to her, she would like to talk to him about her mother Dorcus,as she never new 

her, she,"Dorcus" left her children Michael and Ann when they babies and remarried once there father captain Richard Herbert was killed in action in North Africa in 1943.

sorry to go off track,you have been very kind,can't thank you enough.

best wishes.

william.

Edited by William malone

• 3 years later...
On 21/09/2010 at 09:35, corisande said:

I tried the Tank Corps and got a reply

Sorry to say we do not have very much. The citation for his MC actually spells his name Hallewell but in the index he is simply H. Carew. At the time of his award he would have belonged to A Battalion Tank Corps although that was only adopted in June 1917, before that it would have been A Battalion of the Heavy Branch, Machine Gun Corps. We have nothing here to show when he first came into the tanks but the Machine Gun Corps was created early in 1915 and the Tank Detachment, as it was first known in about May. He is also shown as section commander of No. 6 Section, 2nd Company of A Battalion at Cambrai on 20 November 1917. However there is no account of any specific activities there.

As far as I know we do not have a photograph although we have boxes full of prints showing individuals and groups, many of whom are unidentified so we may have one, unwittingly. What I can tell you is that the rather flamboyant, and clearly not camera-shy officer in the photo on the website is a Captain Reggie Lyles MC, also of A Battalion.

The Major certainly avoided the camera

Bumping this one - I have identified a photo of Carew. He appears in a photo of 16th Motor Machine Gun Battery (Motor Machine Gun Service) which was published in The Motorcycle newspaper 19th August 1915. The photo taken probably June or July 1915 at Bisley. The OC and  three section officers are named in the caption and he's noted as Lt Carew. He has to be the one on the left (1st Section) as I have identified the other two much younger 2nd Lieutenants. The Battery went to France on 29th July 1915 and this matches date of entry on Medal Index Card  - so certainly him. MMGS were taken over by the Machine Gun Corps when they were created in late 1915 and became MGC(Motors). He appears on the army list 1916 in the Motors section as Lt with seniority 2nd November 1914 and this indicates him joining MMGS as they formed.  He's noted in the war diary and served with the battery until they were disbanded in November 1916. He and one of the other officers and most of the men transferred into Machine Gun Corps Heavy Branch in November 1916 when they expanded the tank companies into battalions. . 

30850_A000285-00876.jpg

16th MMG.jpg

motorcycle05lond_0304 - Copy.jpg

31 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

I have identified a photo of Carew. He appears in a photo of 16th Motor Machine Gun Battery (Motor Machine Gun Service) which was published in The Motorcycle newspaper 19th August 1915.

Thank you very much for that photo  him. We seem doomed to get small fuzzy photos of him :(

This is the comparison that I have with the only other shot that I have of him - in Dublin in 1921 with the ADRIC

carew.jpg.7d87fc5a136ee9894f33677cd8711489.jpg

image.png

This is my page on Carew

http://bloodysunday.co.uk/escaped/carew/carew.htmlo

I tend to agree with you on age of ADRIC man, it comes off a group photo of about 100 ADRIC men, and  he is named on it

Have you got a larger version of this group photo?  We could possibly pick him out now.

(Personally, I completely rule 13 out)

F Company Auxiliary DivisionHC.jpg.e721f94c6424a2d8491f2e2c9e144077.jpg

I only have a slightly larger copy of the left hand group.  It has proven difficult to get a high qaulity image over the years. I took one in situ through glass and that meant that there was flare, then someone sent me a better copy, but only small

Actually it could be the chap standing beside the fellow I have used. Problem is with that sort of mustache they all tend to look the same

carew.jpg.e02237053f89ca6dedec230e68b1e95e.jpg

Edited by corisande

Very true, and there are a few possibilities there.

Also, if Beckett is L V Beckett, then it could easily be him too.

photo.jpg

12 minutes ago, IPT said:

Also, if Beckett is L V Beckett, then it could easily be him too.

As you probably saw , there are 4 Becketts in ADRIC. But 2 were never in F Coy and although WJ Beckett joined F company , it was 1 Jun 1921, which was after this photo was taken. So the likelihood is that it is LV Beckett in the group photo. I find it impossible to say if the man labeled 14 is the same as LV Beckett !

Trouble is matching grainy photos of soldiers from newspapers to a grainy photo of F Coy is never going to be easy

Little bit more on Carew's batman Lawrence. He was Private Marcus Cecil Lawrence 313382 Tank Corps. From Mountain Ash Glamorgan, Wales. He first enlisted 28/12/1916 ( before Tank Corps existed so probably into Machine Gun Corps Heavy Branch) then re enlisted 19/8/1919 for another two years  and renumbering  7869121 and extended further two years 23/3/1921 He's shown in Ireland being No.5 Armoured Car Coy and then he was with 10th ACC (Tank Corps) in Waziristan.  HIs General service medal has the 1921-1924 Clasp, so presumably he went there after Ireland. He's not showing up as having war medals so possibly never served overseas. 

He has a pension record card to his later Tank Corps number dated 1925.

He was born 27th October 1897 Mountain Ash, Glamorgan, Wales. He left the UK in July 1929 bound for Canada on his own and then by 1931 living in New South Wales, Australia. Married Sarah Jane Bartlett ( also from Glamorgan) in 1932. He served in the Australian Forces in WW2 but dropped three years off his age when enlisting.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=4901625&isAv=N

He died 28 September 1980 in Petersham, New South Wales, Australia.

GBM_TANK_066_018.jpg

31794_221584-00064.jpg

6 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Bumping this one - I have identified a photo of Carew. He appears in a photo of 16th Motor Machine Gun Battery (Motor Machine Gun Service) which was published in The Motorcycle newspaper 19th August 1915. The photo taken probably June or July 1915 at Bisley. The OC and  three section officers are named in the caption and he's noted as Lt Carew. He has to be the one on the left (1st Section) as I have identified the other two much younger 2nd Lieutenants. The Battery went to France on 29th July 1915 and this matches date of entry on Medal Index Card  - so certainly him. MMGS were taken over by the Machine Gun Corps when they were created in late 1915 and became MGC(Motors). He appears on the army list 1916 in the Motors section as Lt with seniority 2nd November 1914 and this indicates him joining MMGS as they formed.  He's noted in the war diary and served with the battery until they were disbanded in November 1916. He and one of the other officers and most of the men transferred into Machine Gun Corps Heavy Branch in November 1916 when they expanded the tank companies into battalions. . 

Am I to understand the MIC has only now been identified?

Seems strange, given the detective work that has gone on - I would have thought this would have been one of the first items uncovered.

33 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

Little bit more on Carew's batman Lawrence. He was Private Marcus Cecil Lawrence 313382 Tank Corps.

Thanks very much for that, I have updated my page on Lawrence - click

1 hour ago, Wexflyer said:

Am I to understand the MIC has only now been identified?

Seems strange, given the detective work that has gone on - I would have thought this would have been one of the first items uncovered.

The MIC was posted early in the thead when looking at possibilities. Just now the named photo of the MMG battery confirms for me the MIC pertains to the Lt in the photo. My own MMGS research confirms his route into the Tank Corps and rising to rank of Major with an MC. Speaking with my Tank contacts will endevour to find a photo of him - either a tank crew or officer group. Knowing his Battalion and Company will narrow things down. Hoping his white fox terrier shows up and leads us too him!