Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Carew - who was he

corisande

Looking at this photo of Palestinian Gendarmerie officers dated 1925. In the centre is Lord Plumer and on his right (looking at the photo) is Lt Colonel Angus O'Neill the OC and to Plumer's left Major Gerald Foley 2OC. Carew is possibly one of the others in the front row given he was also a Major though he  would be 57 by then and 10 years older than O'Neil. I have not seen a copy of this photo with other's named.

460438_1_En_2_Fig1_HTML.jpg

3 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Looking at this photo of Palestinian Gendarmerie officers dated 1925. In the centre is Lord Plumer and on his right (looking at the photo) is Lt Colonel Angus O'Neill the OC and to Plumer's left Major Gerald Foley 2OC. Carew is possibly one of the others in the front row given he was also a Major though he  would be 57 by then and 10 years older than O'Neil. I have not seen a copy of this photo with other's named.

460438_1_En_2_Fig1_HTML.jpg

This photo is also to be seen at https://irishconstabulary.com/officers-of-the-british-gendarmerie-t1573.html  where one of the officers in the back row is identified.
Given numbers given by a certain Mr. W. Pedia, I doubt these are all the British officers in the BG, so Carew may not be present. The same source says this force was called the British Gendarmerie, which was distinct from the Palestine Police.
All the officers seem to have collar tabs - I wonder why.

Edited by Wexflyer

The Palestine Gendarmerie photo of that you show, clearly had a number of copies circulating (as with the F Company photo that we discussed yesterday  on this thread) . Each copy probably will have the owners inscription of names

Ernest McCall in The Auxies has the photo (p191). His copy came from the son of Major Brockett. McCall gives some names in the book, and I have added them to the photo below. The book is about the ADRIC, so the author has only put on names to ex-ADRIC in the photo. Whereas Carew was not actually ADRIC he appears  to have been on a sort of permanent attachment, so I would have expected his name to have been put on if he was in the photo

7 hours ago, david murdoch said:

I have not seen a copy of this photo with other's named.

(edit - removed photo for clarity as I have added more names, which are in photo below)

Edited by corisande

I then found the same photo in "Revolution by P O'Ruairc", and have added to the first annotations I put on.

So apart from the chap top right they are all named. There is a discrepancy between O'Ruairc and McCall on the officer named Fitzgerald. O'Ruairc has him as "HE Fitzgerald " and McCall as "EC Fitzgerald" . Both authors have Fitzgerald s ex-ADRIC. There was no HE in the ADRIC, but there was a EC, so I would go with EC Fitzgerald

Edited by corisande

Another edit to correct Foley's initials. He is GR Foley, ex RIC (in O'Ruairc)  and not FA Foley , ex-ADRIC (in McCall)

palestine-officers-2.jpg.38d531dc52bd9b0f9932667d439348cf.jpg

Edited by corisande

16 minutes ago, IPT said:

So Tyler would be HDDC Tyler who sailed to Palestine with Carew?

The chap that sailed with Carew was Tiley - his cv click  not Tyler

O'Ruairc has the man in the photo labeled "Major Tyler" . I don't know if that is correct or not. In the light of any other information I assum that man in photo is Tyler. Also McCall did not "claim" him for the ADRIC, so the chances are that he is not ADRIC