Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Tablet found on Ebay

brett361975

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get to Kew and photograph the relevant page - now let's see if I can manage to post it!

Failed - I think it's too big. Talk amongst yourselves while I try to sort this out.

Dave Swarbrick

Brett,

Sorry, can't work out how to re-size the image to make it small enough to post. If you pm me with your email address then I'll try it that way,

Dave Swarbrick [struggling with his new computer - honest!]

• 3 years later...

Apologies for adding to a 3 year old thread, but I have read through and can see no reference to the raised letters at the base of the plaque. I Have seen some references to Wigan Wallgate and the second line could possibly read as that, but I would be interested in a full transcript if possible

Glen

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for drawing my attention to this thread which I had not seen before.

The actual background, showing the Winged Victory together with the Soldier and Sailor, was a commercially available frame. They were made of plaster with a bronze finish and mounted in a wooden frame. The details of the soldiers, which is of the greatest importance, would have simply been slotted into the rear.

I have one of these frames hanging in my Office displaying the photo of a young unknown soldier. If I get a chance tomorrow, I will sort out a photograph.

Sepoy

• 3 years later...

Hi

Believe that my Great Uncle painted this memorial, his father was a Railway Worker in Wigan and I am guessing this is a tribute to his colleagues.

I hope this helps.

Nick

• 6 years later...

Hi all, I am a member of Wigan Local History & Heritage Society and have done extensive research and written an article about the memorial. , I know this topic was a long time ago but I am interested in contacting the poster Brett361975 about the Wigan Wallgate Memorial and bringing it home to Wigan.  I live quite close to where the depot once stood and near to several addresses of the fallen. 

I have tried to PM Brett but no response as such. Does anyone have any info on how to contact him.

Thanks

Graham

• 4 months later...

Pte G/46707 Frank Reid (Read) of 12th Bn Royal Fusils was accepted for commemoration yesterday.  Formerly '1860' 5th & 28th Bn Manchester Regiment.  He was posted missing in action at Ypres on 15/06/1917, aged 22. His Mother Kate received a Pension at 22 Poolstock Lane, Wigan.  I presume he name will be added to the Menin Gate Addenda panels in due course.

On 30/11/2022 at 22:55, grayman said:

I have tried to PM Brett but no response as such. Does anyone have any info on how to contact him.

Thanks

Graham

Brett is still active in the GWF and visited us last Sunday. I've sent him a PM about his thread being refreshed.