Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helmet on ebay

tocemma

East Dulwich or Sydenham, I'm intrigued as to which one. (Both are now gone).

I think you'll find they're both still there. I know South east London can be unstable, but I'm sure the Standard would have mentioned the loss of East Dulwich, at least (Sydenham, I suspect, they'd let go without a mention)

Broomers,

Somewhat debatable I would have said. Having had the misfortune of visiting the Borough of Lewisham recently, I'm rather hoping that will slip away unnoticed too.

Happily, we need not worry unduly about East Dulwich, as it was clearly a fake.

Tocemma

the sydenham shop has been gone for about three years now. I believe he went off to his other branch in Worcester.

the sydenham shop has been gone for about three years now. I believe he went off to his other branch in Worcester.

He did, East Dulwich is now a fancy soap or sweet shop. I live less than half a mile away.

I've picked up on Mr. Broomfields sense of humour now!

Well if your luck was out on the 61st helmet do not despair! Here is another cracker at a fair price!!!?

TT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-WW1-BRITISH-BRO...=item255a771098

Original sacking covers like this rarely turn up now don't miss out!

Unfortunately they do, all too often. Check out his seller id 'Sameoldtoot'

Tocemma

Ps Alternatively you could have a punt at the PICKALABE or the ARM HAT

Original sacking covers like this rarely turn up now don't miss out!

Blimey matey.... that there cover must have been kept squirreled away, as the 'wear' is just like 'NEW!' I shall not let this pristine item slip by me this time... <------- rushes away to make bid! B):whistle:

Go for it Bootnecks.....second chances dont often come round........

TT

Well if your luck was out on the 61st helmet do not despair! Here is another cracker at a fair price!!!?

TT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-WW1-BRITISH-BRO...=item255a771098

I see you are all having fun over these helmet covers, but it's not helping any.....

I don't know anything about these things, but if you guys are experts and know these things are a fake, why has no-one said so, and written to the seller to try get them pulled, or re-described, and save some poor unfortunate buying it ?

Not fun......sarcasim. One cannot just tell an individual we dont rate their item....they will counter with..."well thats your opinion"

Years of collecting experience and exposure tells a collector what is wrong or not.

We have all been burnt. There is no guiding saint but anyone who parts with lots of cash without experience, judgement or experience needs to reasses.

Plus libel of course.

Buyer beware.

Sorry not helpful and your sentiments are 100 % right but there you go.

TT

PS some you cannot help. Saw a chap at a fair who had just bought a nice french helmet. Was proudly swinging it about by its chin strap. I told him to be careful and treat his purchase with respect and got told to wind my neck in. Needless to say 20 seconds later said chin strap was in two parts and helmet on floor......moral is you cannot help some people.

TT

Go for it Bootnecks.....second chances dont often come round........

TT

ah, until you get the epay 'second chance' offer after you've lost out to he sellers shill bidder at your maximum proxy amount.

As for the how do you know question, it is getting hard, a lot of energy goes into faking. The best way is to see, read learn, unfortunately with good militaria now you really need to be assured of provenance, if it seems too good to be true it often is. The helmet covers are easy to make from cheap materials, just like when they were first used. A lot of teh guys who play dress up can delivery very convnceing wear to kit also, movie props from ages ago are being sodl off by studio companies who bought surplus but also manufactured a lot of items for film use and now have age. A few months in a damp shed with some old blankets, age, must and spots. I can't recall where I read it but I seem to have the notion that cloth helmet covers were withdrawn from use in late 1917 as they were concered about the cloth retaining gas agents - true or not , I can't say. But certainly by early 1918 they are not so common in pictures as the armies became more mobile and the need to blend in with dirst at head level diminished a bit. I would not expect too many hessian ones to turn up that are legit. Some officers had nice private purchase ones made, usually in canvas, with private purchase helmets, these certainly turn up, and are very desirable.

A cloth cover that has been on a helmet for some time will usually have rust spots and general discolouration. Also usually a very very close fit.

TT

ScottM, quote " a lot of the guys who play dress up " unquote. I must defend a fare number of the chaps who " dress up " I was one until a few years ago and in the past have had ww1 veterans who spoke to me and thanked me for remembering their fallen friends.

The Khaki Chums and their chief chum, Taff Gillingham, is a highly respected man and gives many talks to the WFA.

The Khaki Chums have also raised thousands of pounds for the British Legion over the years and only invited personell are allowed to join. JG

ScottM, quote " a lot of the guys who play dress up " unquote. I must defend a fare number of the chaps who " dress up " I was one until a few years ago and in the past have had ww1 veterans who spoke to me and thanked me for remembering their fallen friends.

The Khaki Chums and their chief chum, Taff Gillingham, is a highly respected man and gives many talks to the WFA.

The Khaki Chums have also raised thousands of pounds for the British Legion over the years and only invited personell are allowed to join. JG

Hear! Hear!, well said John.

I also must defend 'Reenactors / Living Historians' for I personaly am heavily engaged within that passtime, for I am the founder / leader of a unit who portray the '2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers' of the period 1900-1918. I apreciate that ScottM's comments were made as a generalisation as to the origin of possible military items on the market with seemingly honest ageing. But we to... as a group.... cherrish and respect original period items that many of us use to educate and demonstrate their use to the general public. Rare items, such as these cloth / hessian helmet covers are often given pride of place in our public displays.

Like John, I to have had comments made to me in thanks as to either mine or my groups authenticity, and for keeping the memory of the period alive!. To have comments like those made in reference to oneself or the group as a whole, brings laurels to what we are striving to achieve = honouring those who have gone before. We do what we do to honour those who we strive to portray.. not to openly decieve for personal financial gain.

Looked authentic. I'm sure the seller is astonished by the price. Started at £4. Why don't I find stuff like that?

There's a thread going on this:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=146542

Better than the one I highlighted...1 day to go. Still £450. No bids.

TT

• 3 weeks later...

This last one I like.......may even have punt.

TT

I know the seller and can confirm that he has certainly not faked this one... !

It certainly has qualities all the others lacked.

John