Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helmet on ebay

tocemma

:o wow what a price ouch I can feel the wrist watch.

Dan

Yes, but oh dear....I hope none of the forum pals is feeling the urge

Yes, but oh dear....I hope none of the forum pals is feeling the urge

Have the exact same one at home. One of a batch fielded by a South London dealer, some WWII and some probably made for him. Some had 1917 dates that vanished in the presence of moisture. Happily then cheap. Bought for a few quid effectively for display purposes a few years ago. I'd be mugging someone if I asked £20 for it...

Best wishes,

GT.

And all had the same funny bright green drawstring. Many differing badges have been added to these over the years.

Oh dear...

Tocemma

And all had the same funny bright green drawstring. Many differing badges have been added to these over the years.

Oh dear...

Tocemma

Indeed - we started to refer to them as 'the garden twine covers'...

Unfortunately, it seems nine bidders are 'en-twined'

Oh dear

Tocemma

Have the exact same one at home. One of a batch fielded by a South London dealer, some WWII and some probably made for him. Some had 1917 dates that vanished in the presence of moisture. Happily then cheap. Bought for a few quid effectively for display purposes a few years ago. I'd be mugging someone if I asked £20 for it...

Best wishes,

GT.

Not wishing to mention any names but was that South London dealer based not a million miles away from Dulwich ?!

Indeed - we started to refer to them as 'the garden twine covers'...

I think this may be the Second pattern Garden Twine Cover, the earlier ones where edged in Leather Webbing!

Man, I cannot tell you what a relief this news is. I saw this sell on ebay a few years ago for 185 pounds, I had interest but also serious doubts about it then, looked almost good enough but something wasn't feeling right. It ended up on a scottish militaria dealers website and sat there at 700 pounds asking price for years, and now it is back, being sold by same dealer I presume. I'd be supicious of shill bidding though - a lot of 'aroma' around this methinks. Also I looked up the name 'meir' and it doesn't have an MIC listed, but the name could have been on that helmet for any number of reasons unrelated to the cover. I also could never find pictorial evidence of covers haveing unit insignia attached in teh manner shown here (doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that I coudl never find evidence), I've seen plenty in pictures and a few first hand that had things screened/painted on the sides, but typically they are unadorned. Also, the fit on this is not 'right' all of the genuine canvas covers I've seen over the years have invariably shrunk, or we close fitted in the first palce and are very snug to the helmet shape, so much so that they often have stress wear on the edges and are sometimes torn too. Well, its not my money going in the toilet this time!

"Not wishing to mention any names but was that South London dealer based not a million miles away from Dulwich ?!"

Just wondering the same thing myself... !

Not wishing to mention any names but was that South London dealer based not a million miles away from Dulwich ?!

A shrewd assumption, which I'd say was bang on target.

Could be a US used helmet bought back home- which could be why there is not a MIC match. US used helmets often have names on the strap or marked under the rim. Regards, Paul.

Could be a US used helmet bought back home- which could be why there is not a MIC match. US used helmets often have names on the strap or marked under the rim. Regards, Paul.

I agree. This is borne out by the inclusion, in the naming, of the middle initial. That's something which is quite typical during that time - also the name Meier is of German extraction. Not something exclusive to the US, but more common than in the UK at that time.

Edited to add: it's now nearly £800!

Just watched it go for £1000 and 56p!

£1,000 wow I need to get busy on some stitching and covers

Dan

Just watched it go for £1000 and 56p!

Maybe that is 56p for the cover and the grand for the brodie. Wish I brought that plain brodie at Sundays fair for £150 now!

A shrewd assumption, which I'd say was bang on target.

East Dulwich or Sydenham, I'm intrigued as to which one. (Both are now gone).

Lordy, lordy.....

Someone's going to get a horrible surprise one of these days.

Tocemma

Lordy, lordy.....

Someone's going to get a horrible surprise one of these days.

Tocemma

Is this the same dealer with the endless supply of Garde du Corps helmets?

Cheers, Bill

I read that the OFT is looking into people who advise "No Returns Accepted" on e-bay sales, as this may be against the consumer protection act, ie wrongly describing an article. About time too.

Alan

I read that the OFT is looking into people who advise "No Returns Accepted" on e-bay sales, as this may be against the consumer protection act, ie wrongly describing an article. About time too.

Alan

Whenever I win something on eBay I ALWAYS use Paypal, click on 'other payment options' and use my Visa to complete the transaction. The few times I've had a problem with a seller over a bum description my Visa has refunded my purchase price and shipping immediately.

Cheers, Bill