Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Classic Great War items for sale....

wainfleet

Quite a few!

One in particular, I have bought and sold twice! 11th Battalion SWB Officers jacket, 7th of July 1916, KIA in Mametz Wood, real front line job with a single blue triangle on one sleeve, a 38th Welsh Division scheme pre-dating the Dragon div patch. God knows why I have sold it twice. Pretty irretrievable this time too.

Tocemma

Tocemma, why is it that I have a feeling that in a number of years time we'll read a post from you that runs something along the lines....

"you are not going to believe what I have just bought ....."

:D

aye,

John,

Notts and Derby nearly always make a premium-no rationale to it given the number of Bns we fielded in the Great War. That being said I picked up a pair to an Officer 2/5th Bn KiA 21.3.18 at Bullecourt I have his photo £225 and a pair 2/8th KiA 3.10.18 £97 I have his photo also. I am also guilty of ebay madness on some of the N and D groups I have bought.

No rhyme or reason if two people see a group as a must have.

Mark

Tim, medals are now going for crazy money, just finished on ebay, Notts and Derby pair kia 1.7.16 £520,,,, N/Derby Victory kia £57.01,,,, N/Derby Victory WOUNDED 1.7.16 £88.00. It seems that a wounded on the 1.7.16 is worth more than a casualty.

£250.00 for a trio, madness.

Just an example of different prices

I paid £100 for a pair to Wilferd Hunt, 5th N/Derby kia Ramicourt 1918, but I have his photo and all his details.

Also £125 for a trio to Alfred Campion 5th Battn Notts/Derby, gassed at Loos, discharged 20.7.16, and I thought I had paid far to much for both. Now both seem like bargains.

Hmmm..interesting re Notts and Derby prices. I only have one group to them and that is a MM and pair to Sgt Wilfred Brown 17th Battalion and wounded and recieved MM on 3/9/16 on the Somme between Newfoundland Park and River Ancre. Shot in leg and discharged due to complications with sciatic nerve.

Anyhow I just "won" a trio to a RA casualty for £125 from ebay so there is some reasonable items to be had.

Whatever the prices I bet we keep collecting..human instinct. They say it comes from our "hunter gatherer" instinct!!!

TT

Staffs tunic and cap are now reserved so looks like a sale has been agreed.

TT

Tocemma, why is it that I have a feeling that in a number of years time we'll read a post from you that runs something along the lines....

"you are not going to believe what I have just bought ....."

:D

aye,

Blimey, If only....

Tocemma

• 1 month later...

When your luck is in!

Helped at the Bham Motorcycle Museum militaria fair today and saw a 08 tunic with paper label dated 1914, named. Early "glazed cotton" lining and only partially lined upper pockets. RE sgt, grenades, two wound stripes, red and four blue chevrons, perfect condition, 1914 star ribbon, 100% right. Obviously going home tunic. Wound pocket still stitched closed. Exchanged at well below any of the figures we have discussed here...well below £600! Not me with the luck here though. A bargain.

I got some nice items too, IMHO the best in the halls.

TT

• 1 month later...

Just sold on ebay......perfectly good 1917 trench cap, stitched peak and RAMC badge. Good condition. A number and RAMC markings to inner lining / side. Pictures did not allow me to judge if original chin strap.

Winning bid............£605 and a few pennies!

TT

Twas a cracking example it must be said; yet even then way too exciting pricewise indeed.

I know, I know...

But if one is really (!!!) after that pattern cap, then someone wants to give over the odds for it...

(as has been mentionned before in this thread...)

I sold quite some other kit to get the sum together... Second bidder came within 2£ :ph34r: of my max.bid...

Very happy with the thing...

Now just after a gor'blimey to complete the British serie...

Cheers

Ramses

But if one is really (!!!) after that pattern cap, then someone wants to give over the odds for it...

(as has been mentionned before in this thread...)

Yes pay over the odds for the rare items, but these are not hard to find. Good ones come up all the time - at less than half that. This was a really nice example - but not worth twice the norm. Except to the two of you.

I'd get the underbidder's details if I were you, as he's the only person you're going to be able to sell it too in the future for that kind of money.

Cheers,

GT.

Agreed,

Over the odds for rare items but not relatively easy to obtain items. I saw one for sale at Bham last month for £250 and that was pricey. They usually can be had for £195 tops and regular on line dealers put them out at about £290 ish.

Still nevertheless I love RAMC stuff and I am sure you will enjoy it.

TT

Yes pay over the odds for the rare items, but these are not hard to find

the major problem with that sort of kit:

we DON'T have it overhere...

I quite often go to fairs, and the last time I bought a great war cap on a Belgian fair, was 3 years ago. Then at 250euros...

Over the odds for rare items but not relatively easy to obtain items. I saw one for sale at Bham last month for £250 and that was pricey. They usually can be had for £195 tops and regular on line dealers put them out at about £290 ish.

Same answer applies to this response as well... You may have them relatively easy in the UK, but when I spent money on a ferry/fuel/extra costs to come over for a fair, and have the risk of not finding something I can put in the collection, in the long end, I've payed the cap double/triple on other costs...

If you like dug up items, overhere, you'll get thrown dead with them... everybody has them, and tourist pay silly money for that stuff (100euro for a fully-rusted-through M16 helmet...)(and yes, the shops here in Ypres sell that stuff really quick for that price).

But uniform items don't turn up on a reasonable scale for the colletors on the continent...

And IF we come across a decent piece of uniform-related item over here, (as my MGC tunic from an attic) it mostly had quite a lot of vermin damage through the years...

I've followed the whole thread about the price on great war items, and in my eyes the whole discussion goes around UK collectors buying stuff in the UK.

Now try and put yourself in the eyes (my eyes if you will) of a collector overhere, that sees a serge soft cap for sale for the first time (yes, for me it actually was the first time I saw such a cap on the internet), and does want it in his collection...

But buyers on the continent don't have the access to uniform-kit like you guys have (like dug items are less easy to get in your region)....

Anyway,

quote/ Still nevertheless I love RAMC stuff and I am sure you will enjoy it / end quote

This quote says it all: I will enjoy the cap...

I've got quite a lot of RAMC kit found near former hospitals (both dug and shed finds) and the cap will fit in nicely in between all that gear...

I do enjoy this topic, but keep in mind that collectors over here don't often have the chance to buy an item like that...

If someone knows of any more caps in this pattern, let me know...

kind regards

Ramses

Ramses,

Some good points raised. I do not ridicule anything you say or have done and fully accept your comments regarding dug up relics. So if you are happy then good on you and well done for securing such an item for your collection!

Kind regards

TT

PS if I know you want such items I regularly attend fairs and help a dealer. I will remember to pm you (when it is up and running) and advise you.

PS would love to see a picture of your tunic.

Im suprised you guys feel hijacked. I think the writings been on the wall for a while. I remember being told I was over valuing the value of tunics on the post John refers to. I take no pleasure at all from seeing the prices rise as they are. On the bigger well known web sites german helmets (not cammo) seem to be at the £450 plus mark and cammos for £650 upwards. Tankers face masks sell now for £750 to £850 and all quality items will sell for a good price.

Go to a fair and if you can find some good WW 1 uniforms and equipment you will pay ( acknowledged less than from web dealers) but still not cheap and of course all the real deals seem to be done before the fair. The big dealers mine sweep as the stalls are set out.

WW1 medals sem to have peaked but good stuff is scarce and commands a premium. Will uniforms and equipment peak.......?

Well some dealers seem to have stuff on the web for ages, then remove for six months or more and then re post at a higher price.

I am now down to one or two major buys per annum when before I could buy more items........soon I will be out of the market except for bi annual purcheses. Is the hobby / interset going to commit suicide? Time will tell.

Having said all the above some of the items a member put through Regimentals not so long ago went for thousands and quality items they were..good luck to you.

Regards

TT

4th%20series%20054(4).jpg4th%20series%20051(1).jpg4th%20series%20036(1).jpg

What would someone pay for this group, includes medals, spats, documents, and many other items, belonged to Pte Howarth 15th Cdn Inf. (48th Canadian Highlanders)

just looking for opinions

thanks

Bob R.

the major problem with that sort of kit:

we DON'T have it overhere...

I certainly appreciate how difficult it must be, and certainly there's no mother lode here either (never was). On the other hand, this was bought online, unseen other than photos - and all the major dealers here (Regimentals, Military Antiques, Mons etc) have online shops were this kind of cap could, with patience, be acquired for a lot, lot less than was paid for this. And, from the RAMC perspective, generally speaking Corps items are less expensive than infantry ones.

However, it's your money and you make your choices. I'm sure I have stuff that an external observer, on learning of the price paid, would exclaim "How Much"!!!!!!!!!?????

Cheers,

GT.

......................- and all the major dealers here (Regimentals, Military Antiques, Mons etc) have online shops were this kind of cap could, with patience, be acquired for a lot, lot less than ............................

Cheers,

GT.

GT,

I am not a collector per se, but do buy documents occasionally, not being in the UK and therefore not aware of these companies what would be their web addresses? Yes I know Google is my friend and I am going there next :)

Cheers,

Hendo

top web sites you gave...

(as google is, indeed, man's best friend, I quickly sourced the websites.

Never seen them before, and indeed, can prove interesting to buy from time to time...

I have spent quite a lot of money, I know. But as I said, that was the actual first time I saw a serge soft cap (not a denim one) for sale. And I'm after one for quite a while now, so I was very very VERY keen on getting the first one I saw.

TT, if you could do that: let me know if there's something interesting on fairs, I'd be very happy to hear that from you :)

can you contact me through PM to exchange info? I can also send you some pictures then of the MGC tunic I have in my collection.

best regards

Ramses