Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Classic Great War items for sale....

wainfleet

If you collect British Army uniforms and kit of the Great War, here are a "Gorblimey" cap, a first pattern steel helmet with cover, a named and "patched" OR's jacket and cap, and several items of pattern 1914 leather equipment. They all look genuine to me. But will you want to pay what’s being asked?

This is the kind of shortsighted attempt at price-hoicking that if successful kills the market and removes the ability to collect from all but the most wealthy or those with already-established collections. All so that a greedy dealer can make a one-off fat profit.

I hope these items sit there for a very long time.

Sorry not to make that clear. You have to click on Headdress, also Uniforms and Equipment.

Had a look at the medals and they do seem to be quite reasonable, and some nice groups, pairs and singles as well.

I can see what you mean about the cap. The link is here.

Cheers Andy.

The prices on this route - and from this vendor as a whole via his several outlets - are always a bit 'up'. So they attract the good stuff. He has been coat-tailing (everyone sees he can get it, so the median price shoots up) the market for nearly thirty years in my experience. "What the market will bear" after all...

The tunic looks a bit late - i.e a bit demob - to be worth that. Nice thing, but optimistic to say the least. They might have (only just) got it pre-recession, but even then it's not one I'd have put in the £1850 class.

As for the Gor Blimey and helmet: strewth!! They've, obviously, always been expensive, but that's taking it to a new extreme. Both look like superb examples, but how many Euromillions winners do they think there are into this stuff?

As you say, hopefully they'll sit there forever, and not set a new market level for other dealers to pile onto.

Also: am I the only one who gets twitchy when auctioneers start buying and selling in their own right?

Cheers,

GT.

Other way around; he was a dealer who went into auctions.

Wainfleet; I wouldn't WANT to pay what's asked - but then, how often do you see a cor blimey for sale? (perhaps someone has a cheaper one they'd sell me)?

The pat 14 leather webbing doesn't seem too overpriced when you consider how much the parts would go for separately, although I would wholeheartedly agree about the tunic & helmet..

:)

Chris P

Nice tunic but very pricey, the seller has always been very expensive, I might be wrong but I always thought that marksmans badges where worn on the left sleeve !!

(perhaps someone has a cheaper one they'd sell me)?

Would love to help, but it took me ages and ages and ages to find mine. Think you're familiar with the seller... :whistle:

GT.

GT .. Yes, good looking chap, about my age....

'Regrets, I have a few...'

Chris P

Hello all,

As GT has observed the tunic and cap are 'demob' type items. I have a bit of extra info on this particular grouping. I bought this tunic and cap from a house clearance source in about 1989-90. Sad to say there was also a shrapnel helmet with the grouping at one time. I sold the items on in the mid 90s when I had a reorganisation of my collection, and at the time I purchased a very large UK collection, it was sold on through a well known UK dealer.

I suspect that it may well have been acquired shortly afterwards by the present vendor, who had tried on several ocassions to purchase it from me. Quite likely it has been there since. It is a nice example of what it is, a post-war worn 'tiddly' suit. I recall that the Battalion had been inspected by the King just after the Armistice, it had taken part in the notable breaking of the Hindenburg Line and the crossing of the Canal du Nord.

The owner was 42255 Cpl. Alfred L J Billequez, and not as the incorrect spelling given on Bosley's description. (seems the research paperwork I placed in the top pocket has gone walkies too) There was also a spare lanyard, even more elaborate than the one now attached, and it seems Cpl Billequez was something of a dandy. The jacket was heavily taken in, which accounts for the slightly pigeon-chested look as displayed in the photos. Helmet, '1917 Pattern' trench cap (whatever the hell that might be) and jacket, were clearly items 'prepped' for the Royal visit and subsequent demob of Cpl B. Note the green patch around the helmet insignia freshly repainted on a fairly well used helmet.

Below is an image of the steel helmet

post-7141-1271710922.jpg

And a Private of the same Battalion 1918/19. The Battalion signs can be seen on the upper sleeves. Oddly they are as badly attached as Cpl B's, almost tacked on.

post-7141-1271712334.jpg

Regards

Tocemma

That vendor is looking to close his business very quickly under normal trading criteria... at least it seems that way by the prices he is quoting! I would surmise that he moves in circles which are extremely opulant, and the occupants have no idea of the basic value of money.

Seph

PS

Re the Skill at Arms badge on the right sleeve, this is unusual but not unknown. Possibly it was deemed to look fancier above the overseas service chevrons. Who knows, but in this case 100% original to the jacket. I have a photo of an 'MG' badge being worn on the right ie 'wrong' cuff, which I believe I have posted on the forum in the past. I will dig it out. I also have a photo of the signs on the Billequez jacket I will post this photo when I locate it.

Tocemma

PPS,

Just been looking through some of my old notebooks. Wait for it.....I paid £85 for all three items. Ahhhh those were the days (very cheap even then it has to be admitted)

A certain Trench Mortar jacket (well known to forum member Grovetown) I paid £80 for.

Yours wistfully

Tocemma

Obviously at least one euro millions winner out there... The gor blimey is sold already. I guess that's the new price now!

Chris P.

Obviously at least one euro millions winner out there... The gor blimey is sold already. I guess that's the new price now!

Chris P.

Or euro exchange rate winner!! Or $US winner....

I suppose another angle is that maybe the person concerned has a perfect 1916 rig, but no Cor Blimey... How much would a collector pay in such circumstances? Viewed in isolation, I'd agree a high price, but they had broken the 1k mark some years back.

I know I have paid over the odds at times to get specific pieces, and then sold others to absorb the imapct!

I suspect that the cap was one of a small batch that turned up a few years back, a situation that is unlikely (but not impossible) to happen again. I also note from the description that it had some moth damage, so not a perfect example either. I seem to recall that the examples I was shown at the time had odd bits of damage here and there from storage.

I have had a look to see what I paid for one of these but can't find a note. I sold it on again after a few months and I'm sure it was around the the £8-850 mark, and that was some years back.

The tunic and cap are certainly way overpriced for what they are. The leather equipment seems unremarkable to me, so overpriced. As several people have said, hardly surprising given the source, but kind of inevitable.

I wonder what will happen in 2014-2018, with the hoo ha surrounding the 100th Anniversary of the war and its key dates?

Tocemma

A certain Trench Mortar jacket (well known to forum member Grovetown) I paid £80 for.

Eeee lad....but you probably buy a house for that in them days...

That's it then, the price for WW1 items has now been set by Mr. Bosley. I came on here a couple of months ago asking the price for a WW1 tunic / jacket saying that I had between £5-600 and it was not enough, I have now got £6-700 and still nowhere near enough. But lets be honest if someone wants this tunic / jacket and has the funds, which a lot collectors have, we all know the price will be paid.

The Corblimey was up for £2200. The helmet and cap were sold some time ago so I don't know what they made, but I'd guess the cap was probably something like £275.

Eeee lad....but you probably buy a house for that in them days...

Eighty quid fer an 'ouse? Daylight robbery! I remember when you could buy an' 'ouse, go round t'world and still 'ave change out of two and sixpence!

That's it then, the price for WW1 items has now been set by Mr. Bosley. I came on here a couple of months ago asking the price for a WW1 tunic / jacket saying that I had between £5-600 and it was not enough, I have now got £6-700 and still nowhere near enough. But lets be honest if someone wants this tunic / jacket and has the funds, which a lot collectors have, we all know the price will be paid.

Nowhere near enough for a "patched" tunic from a dealer. But still not impossible for a plain one on ebay. If you'll take a corps one (other than MGC), the chances are better. Why not ask for one in the Wanted section?

Im suprised you guys feel hijacked. I think the writings been on the wall for a while. I remember being told I was over valuing the value of tunics on the post John refers to. I take no pleasure at all from seeing the prices rise as they are. On the bigger well known web sites german helmets (not cammo) seem to be at the £450 plus mark and cammos for £650 upwards. Tankers face masks sell now for £750 to £850 and all quality items will sell for a good price.

Go to a fair and if you can find some good WW 1 uniforms and equipment you will pay ( acknowledged less than from web dealers) but still not cheap and of course all the real deals seem to be done before the fair. The big dealers mine sweep as the stalls are set out.

WW1 medals sem to have peaked but good stuff is scarce and commands a premium. Will uniforms and equipment peak.......?

Well some dealers seem to have stuff on the web for ages, then remove for six months or more and then re post at a higher price.

I am now down to one or two major buys per annum when before I could buy more items........soon I will be out of the market except for bi annual purcheses. Is the hobby / interset going to commit suicide? Time will tell.

Having said all the above some of the items a member put through Regimentals not so long ago went for thousands and quality items they were..good luck to you.

Regards

TT

Nowhere near enough for a "patched" tunic from a dealer. But still not impossible for a plain one on ebay. If you'll take a corps one (other than MGC), the chances are better. Why not ask for one in the Wanted section?

Someone of our acquaintance, I noticed, picked up a very nice 12th Lancers Corporal Scout, bearing a red OS chevron etc, on eBay this week for around £550. So all is not lost.

the B type brodie

Saw that John in Minnesota got £180 for one on eBay the other day...

Cheers,

GT.