Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guess the cemetery

Chris_Baker

Euston Road?

No-one has said which cemetery I am stood by in #135 and where my Dad is getting wet in #134.............

Michelle

Afraid not.

Sorry Michelle, I had no idea there were others that are yet to be identified.

I’ll give a clue for the one I posted – think Hindenburg Line.

Hindenburg Line.........mmm............Gouzeaucourt by any chance? :mellow:

Steve.

Hindenburg Line.........mmm............Gouzeaucourt by any chance? :mellow:

Steve.

Spot on! Well done indeed - it was Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery. Photo taken last May.

How about this one? The church behind may make it easier.

post-16428-1272475787.jpg

Michelle,

134 has me foxed - the stone work makes me think Armentieres area. I'd like to say Chapelle D' Armentieres New Military Cemetery, but I don't think it is! Any chance of a clue? ;)

cheers

Steve

• Admin

You need to retreat further south for that one Steve.............. hopefully that will give you a bit of a clue

Michelle

• 4 months later...

Frederik,

Yours looks like Suffolk Cemetery to me. There is a number of 49th (West Riding) Division men buried there.

Cheers,

Nigel

Here are some websites that might aid you in your identification of some of these cemeteries. Borden Battery

*In MEMORy by Pierre Vandervelden

This well-designed website of Commonwealth War Cemeteries, Communal Cemeteries & Churchyards in Belgium & France enables one to inspect these cemeteries and to access basic information regarding a large number of soldiers from the Commonwealth. The main feature is a clever spreadsheet of each cemetery, a summary of nationalities, a photograph of the cemetery and an alphabetical listing of soldiers. The site also contains some beautiful photographs of a selection of regimental headstones. A quality website to be visited. [CEF Study Group – Nov 2007 - Updated]

http://www.inmemories.com

*The Maple Leaf Legacy Project

A Project in Remembrance of Canada's War Dead. The aim of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project is to photograph or obtain a photograph of every Canadian War Grave of the 20th Century. These photos will be made freely available on the project's web site. The project relies solely on the kind assistance of the hundreds of volunteers and sponsors around the world to get the photographs or to donate funds to help pay for the good work of the project. The Maple Leaf Legacy Project is a registered charity and can issue charitable tax receipts. [CEF Study Group – Updated Sept 2010]

http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca/

WW1Cemeteries.com

This website site currently contains over 1250 different images of the First World War Cemeteries of France and Belgium, as well as numerous other images of Military cemeteries and memorials from around the world. All of these cemeteries have been personally visited and photographed by the authors. The site also contains many other Military cemeteries and memorials from all around the world and features regimental headstone badges, a cemetery index for Victoria Cross recipients, links to other Great War websites, and an index of "Shot at Dawn" soldiers. Again, another well designed and presented website. [CEF Study Group - June 2006]

http://ww1cemeteries.com/

• Admin

Well done Mick, cigar on the way!

Michelle

• Admin

Still none the wiser on Jeremys mystery Cemetery. :(

Some more for you all to have a look at

Where is Wayne standing? (Extra prize if you can ID the motorbike!

Michelle

How about this one............

And finally..........

post-230-030790000 1285056981.jpg

post-230-074348800 1285057089.jpg

post-230-075511000 1285057183.jpg

Michelle.

The 3rd one is Ecoust Mili??on the Bullecourt rd.

• Admin

Dave

The 3rd one is indeed Ecoust Military Cemetery. We rode the bike along the bed of the old railway and dropped down onto it.

Michelle