Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify this cap badge?

high wood

Can anyone identify this cap badge please? I thought it might be the Welsh Regiment but there appears to be a scroll that goes right across the badge.

post-6480-1265470138.jpg

Simon,

Does the wider photo give any clue as to whether he could be a cavalryman? If Yes, then there are a dauntingly large number of yeomanry units with Prince of Wales feather-type cap badges :unsure:

Cheers,

Mark

Simon,

a dauntingly large number

Mark

What a splendid expression. (And quite right, too).

What a splendid expression. (And quite right, too).

I think we've all "been there, done that" and got that particular T-shirt! LOL!

Cheers,

Mark

There is no indication that he is a cavalry man. He is wearing a 1908 pattern belt in the full photograph. It is possible that the top of the badge is hidden by the fold of the cap. The bottom edge of the badge is too straight for the Welsh Regiment badge, not wide enough for the 3rd Dragoon Guards or 10th Hussars. The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry badge has only one title scroll. The Cheshire Yeomanry lower scroll is wider than the upper one. The Denbighshire Hussars have no lower title scroll as such, just the Ich Dien motto. The Pembroke Yeomany has the lower title scroll wider than the Ich Dien.

The Welsh Regiment cap badge has a title scroll and motto scrolls of roughly equal length but the motto scrolls seem to curve upwards unlike the badge in my photograph.

Leinster?

It's not quite right, but it's the closest I can see.

Leinster?

It's not quite right, but it's the closest I can see.

Pals,

In this Topic here: Cap Badge, What Regiment please, Pal HarryBettsMCDCM mentions a variant of the Leinsters badge with a curved scroll, but unfortunately with no picture.

There was another Topic last year on Prince of Wales badges as well - haven't rediscovered it yet though :rolleyes:

[Edit: here it is - Help on regiment id? - good pics of some of the other "usual suspects"]

Cheers,

Mark

hi

it does look like the cap badge of the Leinster Regiment,if the badge was "bent" to fit the curvature of the cap this can distort an image,

hope this helps

I think that it could well be the Leinster Regiment. I have compared the picture with known Leinster Regiment photographs in my collection and the badge does appear to have a wide motto scroll in photographs. This must be a photographic distortion when compared to the original badge.

post-6480-1265539199.jpg