Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help on regiment id?

ddavemanc

Hi Pals

I just bought a job lot of photo's and the top 2 pictures attached look like the same man? I could be very wrong of course which is more than likely going to be the case. They both look like scottish regiments but i cant make out the shoulder titles or cap badges.

Also the 3rd picture is a man in his civis but seems to have a cap badge on his jacket? Any ideas??

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Just looked at my post and realised the picture is to small,i will try again

post-30987-1242693477.jpg

For what it is worth - I am not sure they are the same man.

However pic 1. He is in "Hospital Blues" (under his Greatcoat) - so he was wounded. These were a much disliked blue "suit" worn with a white shirt and red tie, as in the picture.

It looks to me as though he is a member of one of the Territorial Battalions of the Gordon Highlanders.

The shoulder title appears to .....ON across the bottom. GORDON would be the obvious guess for me. I cannot make out what the number in the middle might be. any chance of a high res scan of just this area? Or perhaps you could look at the original with a magnifying glass?

Here is my go at enlarging and messing with the contrast...

post-14525-1242698658.jpg

Second chap is also (more obviously) a Scottish (or Canadian Scottish?) regiment. The shoulder title looks to my untrained eye more like a Canadian style title - but I'll leave that to the experts!

Its a very nice study of his kilt cover, Pattern 14 Leather equipment and his SMLE.

His headgear is unusual - a sort of Tam O'shanter (worn with a hackle? or a deliberately obscured cap badge?) - but very large. I suspect Joe Sweeney may be able to tell you more.

Is there any indication on the back of the photos as to where they were taken (photographers name, postcard back etc?)

I agree the third pic looks like a cap badge in his lapel - to my untrained eye it resembles the "Feather Plume" badges of the Welsh Regiment , 3rd Dragoon Guards, 10th Royal Hussars or Glamorgan Yeomanry or Pembroke Yeomanry, Cheshire Yeomanry ....even the Leinster Regiment IIRC..... If I had to guess based on the shape of the scrolls at the bottom I think I would go for the Welsh.

This might give you start before the experts come along!

Chris

For what it is worth - I am not sure they are the same man.

However pic 1. He is in "Hospital Blues" (under his Greatcoat) - so he was wounded. These were a much disliked blue "suit" worn with a white shirt and red tie, as in the picture.

It looks to me as though he is a member of one of the Territorial Battalions of the Gordon Highlanders.

The shoulder title appears to .....ON across the bottom. GORDON would be the obvious guess for me. I cannot make out what the number in the middle might be. any chance of a high res scan of just this area? Or perhaps you could look at the original with a magnifying glass?

Here is my go at enlarging and messing with the contrast...

post-14525-1242698658.jpg

Second chap is also (more obviously) a Scottish (or Canadian Scottish?) regiment. The shoulder title looks to my untrained eye more like a Canadian style title - but I'll leave that to the experts!

Its a very nice study of his kilt cover, Pattern 14 Leather equipment and his SMLE.

His headgear is unusual - a sort of Tam O'shanter (worn with a hackle? or a deliberately obscured cap badge?) - but very large. I suspect Joe Sweeney may be able to tell you more.

Is there any indication on the back of the photos as to where they were taken (photographers name, postcard back etc?)

I agree the third pic looks like a cap badge in his lapel - to my untrained eye it resembles the "Feather Plume" badges of the Welsh Regiment , 3rd Dragoon Guards, 10th Royal Hussars or Glamorgan Yeomanry or Pembroke Yeomanry, Cheshire Yeomanry ....even the Leinster Regiment IIRC..... If I had to guess based on the shape of the scrolls at the bottom I think I would go for the Welsh.

This might give you start before the experts come along!

Chris

Hi Chris

The only one with a photographers studio is the fella in the hospital blues,

The Ideal Studios, Beadon Rd, Broadway, Hammersmith.In pencil its got either Al 6728 or Al 0728? Dont know if this is the cards order No or his service No?

Thanks for the quick reply, I've got a few more to identify that i will post this week.

Thanks

Dave

The first two photo's show a man in the 14th London Regiment, the London Scottish. He is wearing two versions of there shoulder title. The first photo shows the 'T' over '14' over 'London'. The second photo shows 'London' in an ark over 'Scottish'.

Very nice couple of photo's,

Regards,

Stewart

3rd Photo - Leinster Reg.

Also T. 14 London Scottish for me and the cap badge photo in 1 & 2 fits with London Scottish.

The first two photo's show a man in the 14th London Regiment, the London Scottish. He is wearing two versions of there shoulder title. The first photo shows the 'T' over '14' over 'London'. The second photo shows 'London' in an ark over 'Scottish'.

Very nice couple of photo's,

Regards,

Stewart

I stand corrected - the other most obvious ......ON!

Not sure about Leinster my (limited) refs show a straight bottom scroll on Leinster badges.

Chris

Photos #1 and #2 - definitely 14/Londons (London Scottish)

Photo #3 - Civil Service Rifles (15th Londons) might make more sense than either Leinsters or Welsh or Cheshire Yeaomanry, and the feathers on the CSR badge do spread in a wider fan than the Leinsters ... but I've never seen a CSR badge with a scroll like that underneath it.

Perhaps it's a sweetheart badge version commemorating a lost relative?

Cheers,

Mark

Whatever badge it is has had another scroll (or scrolls) added to it. Unable to make anything out by enlarging it except that it looks like it was a bi-metal badge originally.

The man has obviously been through the mill judging by those eyes and as well as the badge has that scar on the right side of his face as reminder of what he went through.

Superb photograph.

Pals,

After some more digging about, I reckon Photo #3 is the 1898-1903 version of the 12th Lancers cap badge.

See North-East Medals here: 12th (Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers at North-East Medals

Perhaps the man's father/uncle was in the regiment?

Cheers,

Mark

Pals,

After some more digging about, I reckon Photo #3 is the 1898-1903 version of the 12th Lancers cap badge.

See North-East Medals here: 12th (Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers at North-East Medals

Perhaps the man's father/uncle was in the regiment?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, with an extra scroll line added?

Chris

Mark, with an extra scroll line added?

Chris

Not sure ... here they are for a side-by-side comparison plus the Denbighshire Hussars that I've since found after even more digging! ....

12th Lancers 1898-1903 ............................. Mystery Badge ............................................. Denbighshire Hussars

post-20192-1242742908.jpgpost-20192-1242742899.jpgpost-20192-1242742915.jpg

(courtesy of North East Medals - see link above)

What do you all think? I reckon the area between the coronet and the lower scroll is just the "stalks" of the feathers, but it's very hard to be certain <_<

Denbighshire is probably less likely than the 12th Lancers as this man clearly has London connections.

Cheers,

Mark

Lower scroll in the photo does appear to be straighter than the Lancers and the Hussars!

Also in both the lower scroll is longer.

Regards

Also as my earlier post I stand corrected the feather's are wrong for the Leinster's.

Lower scroll in the photo does appear to be straighter than the Lancers and the Hussars!

Also in both the lower scroll is longer.

Regards

Also as my earlier post I stand corrected the feather's are wrong for the Leinster's.

I agree - the scroll on the mystery badge is definitely not as wide as the two "Ich Dien" side scrolls in the Lancers and Hussars badges.

I can't see a scroll with wording "Civil Service Rifles" being that short either, even if such a CSR badge existed, and more properly it would read "Prince of Wales's Own Civil Service Rifles" anyway.

There seems to be a lot of smaller yeomanry units with very similar Prince of Wales feathers badges :huh:

Cheers,

Mark

I would vouch for one of the smaller Yeomanry Regiments myself, one that I don't think we have touched on.

A bit of a mystery!

It is NOT a CSR or a Denbighshire badge as they were one piece blackened badges and that is bi-metal with a scrol. It could be 10th Hussars, Cheshire Yeomanry, 3rd Dragoons or a Welsh regt badge. It could be a Leinsters as they had a variation using Welsh stle feathers but this is unlikely. In all probability it is the common Welsh Regt.

It is NOT a CSR or a Denbighshire badge as they were one piece blackened badges and that is bi-metal with a scrol. It could be 10th Hussars, Cheshire Yeomanry, 3rd Dragoons or a Welsh regt badge. It could be a Leinsters as they had a variation using Welsh stle feathers but this is unlikely. In all probability it is the common Welsh Regt.

Well, I'll certainly go along with that ...

post-20192-1242763600.jpgpost-20192-1242763609.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the replys

Here's another one to have a look at, Im not sure but could it be Montgomeryshire yeomanry?I can't make out the shoulder title but definatly see a T.

Dave

post-30987-1242781400.jpg

Dave,

All four legs on the ground and tail curled in a tight ring: I agree - Montgomeryshire Yeomanry.

The other options that spring to mind are the Monmouths and the 11th Borders (Lonsdale Pals), but both of those have a foreleg lifted and tail held high.

He's also wearing a bandolier.

CHeers,

Mark