Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge

nicko576

post-10762-1239567426.jpgCould someone please tell me what Regiment the soldier is in, from the attatched photo

Many thanks Nick

Any more of the picture?

3rd Dragoon Guards is another possibility, as is the 10th Hussars. Pembroke Yeomanry or Glamorgan Yeomanry (less likely, that one) also possible.

As Steve's already said, in addition to the Welsh Regiment there are a number of cavalry regiments it could be. Can you post more of the picture to give any other clues?

Steve

(Prince of Wales's Own) Civil Service Rifles (aka 15th London Regiment) can be ruled out as the scroll under the feathers on this badge appears to be continuous across the whole width of the badge (and it's not blackened).

Cheers,

Mark

As Steve's already said, in addition to the Welsh Regiment there are a number of cavalry regiments it could be. Can you post more of the picture to give any other clues?

Steve

I will have a try here, fingers crossed

post-10762-1239614225.jpg

Can I come at this a slightly different way? What's his name? We might be able to match him up via medal or service details.

Thats just it Chris.

He is either one of three McNamee's. Going off their MIC's, they served in either

Peter. Somerset Light Infantry, Hampshire Regiment

Michael. South Lancashire Regiment, Dorset Regiment

Francis. South Lancashire Regiment, Cheshire Regiment, Essex Regiment

Thanks

Nick

The South Lancs (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) had a POW feathers badge, but with a very noticeable laurel wreath round it, so it certainly isn't that.

Where did he come from? Is it at all possible it's a post-War picture? Might he have joined the Yeomanry or something after the war? I know you come from Up North, and it could be the Cheshire Yeomanry badge, at a pinch (tho' the lower scroll looks a bit short).

McNamee~Irish?? Leinsters???

Only problem I see with leinsters is that their badge had a straight lower scroll, whereas the photo appears to show a curved one.

I agree Steve there is a variant with Curved upper "Ich Dien" Scrolls though & the Camera may "lie" with regard to the lower scroll [possibly] clutching at straws here...

post-2388-1239659260.jpg

post-2388-1239659268.jpg

I'm not sure which way round it's supposed to be, does the way their puttees are tied suggest infantry rather than cavalry?

Steve

The South Lancs (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) had a POW feathers badge, but with a very noticeable laurel wreath round it, so it certainly isn't that.

Where did he come from? Is it at all possible it's a post-War picture? Might he have joined the Yeomanry or something after the war? I know you come from Up North, and it could be the Cheshire Yeomanry badge, at a pinch (tho' the lower scroll looks a bit short).

They are all from St Helens. I have the service records for two of the brothers, and there is no mention of Yeomanry. Their father was Irish.

Nick