Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles today...

ypresman

Silly Question at this late stage. What is the name of the road where the new cemetery is situated ?

Thank you

Peter

Edit.

Found it, it is here;

The cemetery is located on Rue de la Basse Ville (50o36’28.66”N, 2o51’03.71”E)

Andy

I agree.

Breath taking !!!!!!

Tony

Cheers Guys. Just a few 100 photo's of the last few years of me exploring the whole Western Front...oh and Normandy.. :D

Still have a few more to put on.

Northern France had blizzard conditions this morning, 3 hour from Calais to Fromelles !

Got there in the end and I was humbled and privileged to have attended, I will post some photos on my return home. (Sending this from Varlet Farm)

Message on CWGC Website;

REBURIALS AT FROMELLES LATEST ADVICE 10 FEBRUARY 2010

Members of the public planning to attend the reburials at Fromelles should note that as a result of progress achieved during the first week, it is now predicted that the reburials will be completed on Friday 19 February 2010.

This date cannot be guaranteed as inclement weather may affect the reburial procedures but we would ask that you keep checking this website for further updates.

The conditions in Fromelles remain extremely cold, with snow and freezing conditions predicted. You are encouraged to prepare for very cold and wet weather and dress accordingly. Visitors should also be aware that the surrounding area is extremely wet and therefore appropriate footwear is advisable.

There is a small covered visitor’s area at the cemetery, where members of the public can sign the visitor’s book, find literature on the new cemetery and the wider aspects of the Fromelles project and leave floral tributes and wreaths.

Message on CWGC Website;

Members of the public planning to attend the reburials at Fromelles should note that as a result of progress achieved during the first week, it is now predicted that the reburials will be completed on Friday 19 February 2010.

Thanks for the tip, Peter; I was planning to go there the last week of february :doh:

See if I can make it next week...

Roel

I was planning to go there the last week of february

Me too! :(

V.

What is the best/quickest/shortest route to take to get to Fromelles from Calais?

Does anyone have any preferences?

Martin

A16 East from Calais approx 20 miles, take exit 28 onto E42 for approx 7 miles, at exit 16 stay on the road which becomes the A25 for approx 30 miles, normally you would leave at exit 8 but this is closed for roadworks so leave at exit 9. Head for Erquinghem-Lys, then Fleurbaix, then Bois-Grenier. Fromelles should signed from there as it is on the D22.

This is normally a journey of around 70 minutes but it took me 3 hours in the snow last Wednesday !!

Me too! :(

V.

I'm now trying to be there friday 19th, but due to the weather it's not sure if there will be any burials on that date according to CWGC...

• Admin

Thanks Roel and Phil.

It was very cold but worth it.

Nobody is saying anything about how many will be identified. The panel will be meeting in London in early March to sort through all the information. I suspect they all have a "gut feelling" about the numbers though. Personally, anything from 1 ID upwards will be a good result but if there are lots of men named, I hope that attempts at DNA recovery will become a normal part of dealing with other unidentified soldiers who are found in future.

Glen

What is the best/quickest/shortest route to take to get to Fromelles from Calais?

Does anyone have any preferences?

Martin

for what its worth, I always go Dover / Dunkirk ..in my humble opinion a much nicer ferry, a little longer agreed but better than the cattle boat to calais. Then across via the A25 / E42 ..simples

Colin

Thanks for the link to your album Glen. Some very poignant/sombre moments indeed - especially the Standard Bearers and Gun Salute. What would we do without digital cameras now?

Thanks for posting your photos Glen, very moving, it has taken me most of this evening to look at them . Hope to be there myself on Friday 26 February, however it looks like the burials will be finished by then.

Mandy

Just got a confirmation from CWGC; friday 19th definitely looks to be the last day.

Roel

Still 17 bodies...

Michel

Visited Fromelles friday, when the last burials took place. Conditions were very harsh, with a cold, freezing wind. The Australian and British soldiers did an a absolutely splendid job; every coffin was carried to its last resting place in a very respectful and dignified way. I didn't notice even the tiniest slip or mistake, despite the very unconfortable circumstances.

Great to see how the men said farewell to the girl who had provided them lunch and a smile every day in the nearby cafe Au Gallodrome. Both Australians and British tried to impress the absolutely stunning beauty by giving her several presents. A great moment, when the men became boys again... :wub:

Roel

Lest We Forget!

I had the honour of being there on Wednesday; cold and harsh conditions, but a meticulous ceremony carried out with great dignity.

Peter

post-29053-1266712528.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Was at Fromelles yesterday, but was forbidden to take photos of the cemetery.

Michelle