Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles today...

ypresman

Andy

I wasn't being critical, but I was just trying to gauge whether it would be 7 hours non-stop or as someone has explained, do they get a break.

I want to be there at the start on the 10th and hopefully at the closing ceremony, but I would probably feel siezed up if there was no break. I think I will keep on the move and go to VC Corner, Aubers Ridge etc in between the internments.

Peter,

Don't worry, I didn't take it the wrong way.

I would say that there would be more than one bearer party for each day. They would, surely have teams who would take turns, as you are right, doing that for seven hours straight, three days a week, would be extremely taxing on the body. It would be a dream trip though, and yes, I would volunteer as well, in a bit quicker than a flash.

Cheers Andy.

Rest in peace soldier boy's. No longer forgotten. :poppy:

I would love to write an article about this new cemetery and Fromelles for the magazine I work for. Who can I contact best to make arrangements?

Roel

I would love to write an article about this new cemetery and Fromelles for the magazine I work for. Who can I contact best to make arrangements?

Roel

Best to contact Martial de la Barre at the Fromelles Museum

Best to contact Martial de la Barre at the Fromelles Museum

Martial Delebarre hasn’t been terribly contactable for some time and, depending on the direction you wish your article to take, may not necessarily be the best person to speak to.

If you want to take it from a more personal direction (i.e. about the men as well as the actual battle), I’m sure that those of us who have worked on this project could help, although I really shouldn’t be volunteering the services of others …….. :rolleyes:

V.

Martial Delebarre hasn't been terribly contactable for some time and, depending on the direction you wish your article to take, may not necessarily be the best person to speak to.

If you want to take it from a more personal direction (i.e. about the men as well as the actual battle), I'm sure that those of us who have worked on this project could help, although I really shouldn't be volunteering the services of others …….. :rolleyes: Hi Victoria, I am the great Nephew of Simon Fraser depicted as carrying wounded soldier "Cobbers Statue" near VC Corner Fromelles, who later died in the 2nd battle of Bullecourt.

V.

I'm delighted to make your acquaintance! You must be amazingly proud of your great-uncle.

V.

The latest issue of British Archaeology magazine has a good article on the Fromelles dig with some moving pics of artifacts. Should be previewed here

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/

soon.

Best

Simon

If you want to take it from a more personal direction (i.e. about the men as well as the actual battle), I’m sure that those of us who have worked on this project could help, although I really shouldn’t be volunteering the services of others …….. :rolleyes:

Any names of people I can contact (perhaps yourself?)

But first I shall present it to my editor in chief; "Fromelles" needs a fair amount of explaining in the Netherlands...

Roel

Any names of people I can contact (perhaps yourself?)

But first I shall present it to my editor in chief; "Fromelles" needs a fair amount of explaining in the Netherlands...

"Fromelles" has needed a fair amount of explaining over here too!

PM your e-mail address through to me and I'll drop you a line.

V.

To be honest, World War I needs a bit of explaining too... ^_^

I'll send you a mail tomorrow...

Roel

I have enjoyed, if thats the correct way to put it, this thread. The pics and words brought right back to me what was a very emotional day. I believe everyone did the soldiers proud, both our Australian cousins and the Fusiliers were to be thanked for their true professionalism, a good and proper send off for the lads now is assured.

It was also nice to put faces to so many names that I have spoken to over the years on here and other sites, ie: Victoria....nice to meet you at last !

Stay safe everyone and hope to see many of you again in July, if not before.

Regrads to all on site,

Colin Stalgis

Cpl Gregory Francis Stalgis

14th machine Gun Co

5th Div

Fromelles, July 1916

Thanks to all for the great pictures and information. I am flying from the States on February 24th to attend one or more of the burials. I have arranged my schedule to be at Fromelles on a Friday and a Monday in hope of avoiding bad weather.

I feel this is a once in a lifetime event for me to be able to watch, and in my own way, participate in this ceremony.

Gene

At least I knew what you meant...after all 7 hours is a long time without a loo/tea/fag/scoff break... ;)

It's a long day for anyone, especially in the harsh conditions as it has been over the last few days. Personally... if I was there for the whole day, I would see the opening Ceremony (first burial), then do Aubers Ridge (Kaisers Bunker, Hitlers Bunker..etc), Neuve Chapelle and maybe Bois Grenier. Plenty to do around that area (VC Corner,Cobbers Memorial)..then head back for the Closing Ceremony.

I wish I'd done some research on the burial dates before I arranged to be in France for another task on a Tuesday. I could have picked a Wednesday.... It would have been an honour to have witnessed one of these occasions.

Great photos - something to remember forever. Cheers.

I've just spent the last hour looking through the photo's, lost track of time, and not just from the recent burials. Simply stunning.

Cheers Andy.

I've just spent the last hour looking through the photo's, lost track of time, and not just from the recent burials. Simply stunning.

Cheers Andy.

Andy

I agree.

Breath taking !!!!!!

Tony

Thanks to all for the great pictures and information. I am flying from the States on February 24th to attend one or more of the burials. I have arranged my schedule to be at Fromelles on a Friday and a Monday in hope of avoiding bad weather.

I feel this is a once in a lifetime event for me to be able to watch, and in my own way, participate in this ceremony.

Gene

Gene

If the CWGC information is correct and all burials are to be completed in February (excepting the 19th July ceremony) Friday 26th will be the last ones.

• Admin
I have enjoyed, if thats the correct way to put it, this thread. The pics and words brought right back to me what was a very emotional day. I believe everyone did the soldiers proud, both our Australian cousins and the Fusiliers were to be thanked for their true professionalism, a good and proper send off for the lads now is assured.

It was also nice to put faces to so many names that I have spoken to over the years on here and other sites, ie: Victoria....nice to meet you at last !

Stay safe everyone and hope to see many of you again in July, if not before.

Regrads to all on site,

Colin Stalgis

Cpl Gregory Francis Stalgis

14th machine Gun Co

5th Div

Fromelles, July 1916

Colin

Your tribute at VC Corner looked better than ever in the snow

Glen

post-32914-1265548493.jpg

I agree. It was good to finally put some faces to some names. It was really good to meet you too, Colin and to see you again, Glen.

V.

Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else but does anyone know when they will erect the headstones? Will they wait till all have been identified or initially mark them all as unknowns?

Wayne

Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else but does anyone know when they will erect the headstones? Will they wait till all have been identified or initially mark them all as unknowns?

Initially, each grave will be marked with the standard headstone of an unidentified soldier. I don’t believe that the nationality will be specified. I'm not sure when these will be put in place, but I’ve been told that these headstones will be replaced with headstones carrying (where possible) the correct details after the 19th July service, but I haven’t yet had this confirmed. That’s something else to add to my next e-mail to the CWGC.

Sorry it's such a vague answer. As soon as I can confirm the details, I'll post them here.

V.

No thank you Victoria info much appreciated. Am over end March so off to visit the cemetery if all goes to plan

Wayne

Gene

If the CWGC information is correct and all burials are to be completed in February (excepting the 19th July ceremony) Friday 26th will be the last ones.

That will be my birthday.....strange or what ? Too many ` coincidences ` all the way down the line since I got involved with this or am I reading just a little too much into it all ??? I know there was another thread on this type of thing elsewhere on the site but sometimes it does make you sit up and wonder..even if just a little ????

Colin

Your tribute at VC Corner looked better than ever in the snow

Glen

Glen, thanks for the nice words and for posting. I was going to upload some but I need to shrink them down first and have not got around to doing so, so thanks again.

Colin