Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What price WW1 tunic

john gregory

£220 for a battered mothed trench cap on Fallen Eagle at the moment.

TT

This (fourth one down) was up for about £1200, I believe:

http://www.alliedandaxismilitaria.co.uk/shop/shop.php

Judging by the shoulder strap bars, it is to the 2nd Bn, part of 27 Div, Salonika Force. (Note the regimental buttons!). A very nice item if that's your thing, but somebody seems to have paid a great deal of money for it!

Add: I thought I'd linked directly to the page it's on, but obviously I didn't. You have to select Uniforms and Accessories and then it's 4 down.

£220 for a battered mothed trench cap on Fallen Eagle at the moment.

TT

It's the same one that was for sale by Mons Military Antiques recently and is still visible on his website. Evidently they have done a deal of some sort, as I thought he was asking £225 for it!

Hello Wainfleet,

The Cameron's tunic sold on Ebay for just over £600, just before Christmas. The sell also had the mans Doublet, which I bought :D. The doublet has the mans number inside it and I was able to ID him and find his service papers. The service papers confirmed 2 of his woundings, but it is not too unusual for them not all to be listed properly. The doublet also has two Good Conduct stripes, embroidered shoulder titles and a Marksmans' badge on it. It is in very 'sleepy' condition. I still have a fair bit of research to do on it.

It's a nice tunic, but a bit steep in price! I know of this dealer and have hear a few interesting stories about him :unsure: At least he has not added anything to the tunic.

Hello Gnr

A shame you weren't able to get the khaki tunic and keep the group together, but of course there are limits to what one can spend. I am surprised the dealer didn't cotton on to the importance of the service number and include it in the item description. Or perhaps he just doesn't care? I don't know him, but it's hardly news that some dealers are happy to embroider, in more than one sense.

Did your researches confirm that this man's service was with the 2nd Bn in the 27th Division?

Regards,

W.

Hello Gnr

A shame you weren't able to get the khaki tunic and keep the group together, but of course there are limits to what one can spend. I am surprised the dealer didn't cotton on to the importance of the service number and include it in the item description. Or perhaps he just doesn't care? I don't know him, but it's hardly news that some dealers are happy to embroider, in more than one sense.

Did your researches confirm that this man's service was with the 2nd Bn in the 27th Division?

Regards,

W.

Slightly indifferent/ careless description too, as he says its got Gordons insignia and a 1916 label, which is plainly 1918...

Hello W,

Yes, the documents confirmed his service with the 2nd Battalion. He was posted to the 1st Bn as a reservist in Aug '14. He was wounded in September 1914. He was posted back to the 1st Bn, wounded during the Somme. Sent home then later sent to the 2nd Bn and saw out the war with them. It was a pitty they both turned up at the same time just before Christmas, or I would have tried to get both. I did expect the SD to go for a bit more than £650. But you can't buy everything and I am very happy with my Doublet, which cost £45! Hope to find out a bit more about him via the Regimental magazines and Home town newspapers.

Regards.