Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What price WW1 tunic

john gregory

I am looking to buy another original WW1 tunic. I have not brought one for a while so what price are they now fetching ? I have £500-£600 set aside for one. Is that reasonable or are they going for morre ? JG

hope this is not too pedantic: the SD was technically a 'frock' not a 'tunic' ...... the last tunics were issued in early August 1914 and were scarlet, tailored.

hope this is not too pedantic: the SD was technically a 'frock' not a 'tunic' ...... the last tunics were issued in early August 1914 and were scarlet, tailored.

Really? I seem to recall Joe Sweeney (or someone) correcting me in this respect indicating that they were Jackets, Service Dress and "Simplified Pattern" jackets when I was working on the I-Spy book.... is this something I need to correct?

Chris

I am looking to buy another original WW1 tunic. I have not brought one for a while so what price are they now fetching ? I have £500-£600 set aside for one. Is that reasonable or are they going for morre ? JG

That should do it; although I wouldn't expect anything too interesting - battle patches etc - for that.

Best wishes,

GT.

As GT says...you should get a plain unadorned one for that price. The few I have seen recently with anything remotely unusual / different have been near or above £800.

Regards

TT

At the end of the day it is a case of how much you are prepaired to pay .

Dan

Thanks everyone, I have put one of my wife's ' frock's ' on a mannequin but it do'nt look right with the webbing, trousers and puttees so I will settle for a tunic oops I mean a man's frock.

I can live with 'jacket' ....... I can see why the term was preferred to 'frock', although I would defend 'frock'.

Its like this!

For a long period, the infantry of the line at Home were issued with:

1. Tunic, scarlet, full dress, TAILORED to give a smart and individually optimised fit, lined. See present day Guards.

2. Frock, scarlet, undress, cut loose to admit of warm garments added underneath, not lined, inferior adornment and material.

3. together with various canvas etc working party gear.

4. Optional private or regimental purchase dark blue 'patrols', the equivalent of today's No. 1 dress, and very smart.

So that, when the army decided to have only two 'suits' for the soldier, namely 1. the tunic, and 5. the Service Dress, the big change was abolition of 2., so why not drop the word 'frock'? However, the 'jacket' was indeed loose fitting [5 inches bigger round chest than the man's chest measurement] and tailoring was frowned on.

So, OK, the word is 'Jacket, SD', but the cut is 'frock'.

Every now and then, a pedant is hoist with his own pedantry ..... better that than a pederast.

I can live with 'jacket' ....... I can see why the term was preferred to 'frock', although I would defend 'frock'.

Its like this!

For a long period, the infantry of the line at Home were issued with:

1. Tunic, scarlet, full dress, TAILORED to give a smart and individually optimised fit, lined. See present day Guards.

2. Frock, scarlet, undress, cut loose to admit of warm garments added underneath, not lined, inferior adornment and material.

3. together with various canvas etc working party gear.

4. Optional private or regimental purchase dark blue 'patrols', the equivalent of today's No. 1 dress, and very smart.

So that, when the army decided to have only two 'suits' for the soldier, namely 1. the tunic, and 5. the Service Dress, the big change was abolition of 2., so why not drop the word 'frock'? However, the 'jacket' was indeed loose fitting [5 inches bigger round chest than the man's chest measurement] and tailoring was frowned on.

So, OK, the word is 'Jacket, SD', but the cut is 'frock'.

Every now and then, a pedant is hoist with his own pedantry ..... better that than a pederast.

Chill out a bit David, I only asked the going rate for a ' Tunic ' not a lecture on frocks, SD or jackets. Pederast , careful what you say this is a Great War Forum.

I wonder what such a garment went for in 1914-18? And was it more expensive doing one's shopping at the front?

questions prompted by reading earlier this morning (as often happens, while looking for something else) when I came across this diary entry

"Sunday Dec 19th 1915

I borrowed a bicycle & rode down to W Beach [Helles, Gallipoli] to do some shopping. I went to D A D O S first and bought a pair of breaches with leather strapping, & also a stout pair of boots. I paid 25/- for the lot."

[from the diary of Sub-Lieut James Curzon Hilton, Hood Battalion, RND]

regards

Michael

Could i have the name of a place /dealer that has theses jackets/frocks for sale ?? One that has say a few to choose from ?

MC

I wonder what such a garment went for in 1914-18?

ORs Jacket, Service Dress in 1915 was 9s 9d. That's around £32 today (I doubt the MoD pay as much).

Best wishes,

GT.

Thanks GT, that's interesting. So twenty-five bob for officer's breaches and a pair of boots does not seem too bad for Sunday shopping at the front

regards

Michael

Thanks GT, that's interesting. So twenty-five bob for officer's breaches and a pair of boots does not seem too bad for Sunday shopping at the front

When my grandfather was accepted for officer training, his elder brother wrote him this advice from Salonica:

"..One or two tips for you when you get your kit – do not get anything that you can buy dirt cheap later on at ordnance. There is a government place called 'ordnance' from where men draw all their stuff (Army Ordnance Corps men do this work e.g. stockings etc.) & in it there is an officers' dept.. London branch is at Pimlico I fancy. That is how we buy clothing out here, either go personally or indent through our QM. They have absolutely everything, but get all your tunics, breeches etc. at a tailor as they fit so much better & ordnance are only ready-made – also get Sam Browne & boots at shops. But things like great coat, gum boots (especially these - they are so cheap at ordnance - only 15/- as opposed to 37/6 what I paid at my boot shop) shirts, collars & all kinds of under-clothing & equipment – water bottle, haversack, revolver get at ordnance. You can also get good field glasses there, but not compasses. Also when buying kit make sure get a good waterproof or trenchcoat, also a pair of stocking puttees, an air cushion & an electric torch. These are vital necessities for comfort."

Tunesmith

MC,

There is not such a dealer. You have to keep checking various dealers websites / auctions and maybe you will find one. Its not easy!!

Regards

TT

Could i have the name of a place /dealer that has theses jackets/frocks for sale ?? One that has say a few to choose from ?

MC

You don’t want much, do you? This reminds me of a story I was told by Chris Farlowe when he had his shop “Call to Arms” in Islington, about 30 years ago.

An American walked in and said “Hi. I want a full set of Slade-Wallace” (that’s the 1888 pattern buff leather equipment, then virtually unobtainable). Farlowe replied: “Certainly sir. What condition would you prefer it in? Unissued, some service wear, or heavily-used?” The American pondered a moment, then said “I think I’d like a set with some service wear”.

Farlowe reached under the counter, pulled out a grubby bayonet frog and whacked it down in front of the American. “That’s what we’ve got!”

Really? I seem to recall Joe Sweeney (or someone) correcting me in this respect indicating that they were Jackets, Service Dress and "Simplified Pattern" jackets when I was working on the I-Spy book.... is this something I need to correct?

Chris

You are very right Chris, knew I'd seen it on some of the kit issue lists before now but couldn't find one to illustrate it earlier, and this thread just got bumped up - issue of "Jackets, Service Dress - 2", see posts 3 and 4:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=clothing+scale

Two for sale (1 Canadian/1 Brit) in your price range (with some haggling) at greatwar.com. Check them out carefully as they have been know to sell dodgey gear.

Cheers, Bill

John

It depends what you looking to buy and who you are buying from. I would think that on ebay a plain tunic to a corps such as RGA, ASC or RAMC is probably still obtainable around the 500 mark. For a plain line infantry one perhaps 600-ish, and a bit more if it’s credibly named, maybe another hundred. From most online dealers I think you can add 200-300 to that. Military Antiques has an undistinguished example to the Sussex at 885, which however has been sitting there a while. With patience and some diligent searching I think one can be had for less than that. Why not put a request in the Wants section here?

A tunic with cloth titles sewn to it is going to cost rather more, and with credible “battle insignia” in the form of divisional and/or battalion signs, considerably more than the sum of the parts. You will be very lucky to acquire anything of that sort for less than four figures, and because these things are particularly sought-after, collectors tend to hold out for “dealer prices” when parting with them.

Best of luck!

W.

John

It depends what you looking to buy and who you are buying from. I would think that on ebay a plain tunic to a corps such as RGA, ASC or RAMC is probably still obtainable around the 500 mark. For a plain line infantry one perhaps 600-ish, and a bit more if it’s credibly named, maybe another hundred. From most online dealers I think you can add 200-300 to that. Military Antiques has an undistinguished example to the Sussex at 885, which however has been sitting there a while. With patience and some diligent searching I think one can be had for less than that. Why not put a request in the Wants section here?

A tunic with cloth titles sewn to it is going to cost rather more, and with credible “battle insignia” in the form of divisional and/or battalion signs, considerably more than the sum of the parts. You will be very lucky to acquire anything of that sort for less than four figures, and because these things are particularly sought-after, collectors tend to hold out for “dealer prices” when parting with them.

Best of luck!

W.

Thanks, I have seen the Sussex one but I think I would want to see it close up before I spent that sort of money.

Most good dealers will allow a check period and refund within a timescale...including Military Antiques.

Funny observation but I still think £800 is the minimum you will pay but my price estimate for a cap is under what others think?

Regional diferences? And how often does e bay have good uns come up?

TT

Wulsten, not sure which one you mean, there was a RAMC one to 16th (Irish) Div I think. A nice jacket and not to forget the RAMC were in the thick of it. Again, its as much as someone wants to pay for something which is the theme echoed here.